Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Do you take the Battery Tunnel?
Previous  1  2

Lesia

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 2:02 pm
I never plan my routes based on tolls, only on traffic conditions. I didn’t realize it could be such a sticking point for people. Combined, we make a total of 6-7 trips from Monsey to the city and Brooklyn each week, and it adds up either way. A few dollars here or there wouldn’t make such a difference.

thanks

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 2:08 pm
There are probably things your family spends on, the DH family does not. No two families think exactly alike, no two people think exactly alike. Important axiom to build a successful marriage.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 2:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
When DH and I were dating, it constantly annoyed me when he would take the Battery Tunnel. I grew up in an upper middle class family, but unless we were on our way to the hospital for a medical emergency, we would NEVER take the tunnel when there was a free alternative available, no matter how bad the traffic situation was. So even though it was DH's car and his money, it ran counter to everything I grew up with. DH - who grew up far from NY and despises NY traffic - would always smile and tell me that time is also money, and this is money well spent.

Now that we're B"H married, I've certainly learned that DH is his own person who works hard for his money, and is entitled to spend it however he sees fit, so I keep my mouth shut. And even for myself, I've learned that if traffic looks bad to the eye (or to Waze or 1010 WINS), it can be worth the "splurge" to take the tunnel.

I'm just curious what your attitude and approach is to the tunnel. Do you always take it, never take it, or only take it if you're in a rush or if traffic is a nightmare? Do you do one thing, and DH handles it differently, and does that cause any tension?

I haven't lived in Brooklyn in 25 years and I seldomly come into the city
However you neglected to take gas costs into consideration
Also the roads over the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridge are horrendous
Replacing shocks and alignments add up .
You are probably better off with the tunnel

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 2:26 pm
I don’t mix into his traffic decisions like taking more expensive way verses cheaper and he don’t mix into my nail salon waxing places choices which if I went somewhere else I could save $5 so we are even he always goes according to Waze or google

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 2:40 pm
seeker wrote:
"Time is money, lots of money, and my brain is in permanent Harry Potter mode."

Ah, that kind of galleons.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 2:44 pm
Lol
With dh and my father it's nj turnpike vs 295

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 5:49 pm
Dh likes to take the bridge. I don't care. We base it on how much time we have, traffic etc. No big deal either way

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 5:54 pm
I'm assuming that whether you consider the Battery Tunnel toll a big deal is correlated with how often you travel between Manhattan and Brooklyn.

trixx

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 5:55 pm
seeker wrote:
"Time is money, lots of money, and my brain is in permanent Harry Potter mode."

So glad you caught this question, seeker.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 5:58 pm
I don't live in NY but we have similar here, with toll roads that can sometimes save lots of time. I always use Google maps and compare the time saved by using a toll road or express lane vs the interstate. If I'm in a real rush or the time saving is significant I take the toll road. If the timing is similar and I'm not in an urgent need to get somewhere, I'll save the money and spend an extra few minutes on the road. Dh is the same way, more or less.

happyone

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 10:34 pm
I follow Waze religiously. Time is worth more than money in many instances.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 10:59 pm
Here's the thing with following Waze/Google:

I find that they almost always recommend the tunnel. However, if you toggle "avoid tolls," it will give you the bridge WITH THE SAME ETA. So I don't know who's paying them off but that feels wrong. Anyway now my MO is to check both if I have time before I leave. If the ETA is the same then I'm definitely taking the bridge and annoyed at Google for trying to send me to the tunnel first.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 2:54 am
I think I took the bridge for the first time in my life a week ago. And that’s only because the gps told me to. I can’t believe this is even something people think about.

bobeli

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 3:28 am
seeker wrote:
Here's the thing with following Waze/Google:

I find that they almost always recommend the tunnel. However, if you toggle "avoid tolls," it will give you the bridge WITH THE SAME ETA. So I don't know who's paying them off but that feels wrong. Anyway now my MO is to check both if I have time before I leave. If the ETA is the same then I'm definitely taking the bridge and annoyed at Google for trying to send me to the tunnel first.

Sometimes it shows the same eta but on the way it adds minutes.
If there is traffic or rain I don’t take the bqe because it usually is crazy.
Would love to be able to floo powder or something like that , it’s only 2 Sickles a scoop 😜

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 8:53 am
mommydearest654 wrote:
it depends, I usually check waze to see how much longer the bridge will take. if it's crazy traffic or over 15 min longer, we take the tunnel. time is more precious then saving money. especially when your in a rush
This, however I must say that when we do go into the city we're usually in a rush so we end of taking the tunnel. It makes a huge difference time wise and like you said, time is money. I am very frugal in other areas though.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:17 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I don't live in NY but we have similar here, with toll roads that can sometimes save lots of time. I always use Google maps and compare the time saved by using a toll road or express lane vs the interstate. If I'm in a real rush or the time saving is significant I take the toll road. If the timing is similar and I'm not in an urgent need to get somewhere, I'll save the money and spend an extra few minutes on the road. Dh is the same way, more or less.

I can get to work either a direct route using the turnpike or a more roundabout, scenic route that's free. It adds about 15 min to my drive. In the summer when it's nice I'll take the scenic route. Never after dark or in bad weather, and never in the morning bc I'm not waking up 15 min earlier to take the scenic route.

ddmom

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 12:40 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Seriously, counter to everything you grew up with?! Oh my!
Next import shidduch question, are you bridge or tunnel person? This might be a red flag,

LOL good one!!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics