Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Do you leave house lights on when you go away?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 12:41 pm
When you go away and the house is empty, do you leave inside and/or outside lights on to make it look occupied? If so, what is the duration of absence that determines whether you leave them on - even during the day, only if it's overnight (e.g. going away for Shabbos), only for a full weekend, or only a lengthier vacation? And how many lights do you usually leave on?

We leave on front door light, a few lights on the first floor, and 1 hallway light on the upper level. Feel free to include your location and the safety of your neighborhood if that's relevant to your answer.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 12:51 pm
Yes, on a timer, as well as an alarm.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 1:11 pm
My father always leaves the radio on, but he also leaves it on almost 24/6 when he’s home.

We live in a building and we close all the lights except the kitchen and maybe the hallway.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 1:17 pm
Yes. If we go away for the night, or a weekend or longer , we leave a light on as well as a lamp with a timer that goes on and off.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 1:27 pm
Of course. Doesn't everyone?

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 2:20 pm
We leave lights on when we go away
We just installed ring that records who
Rings the door bell which can be seen on my cell phone when I’m away
I would use another brand thou

nchr

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 3:45 pm
No. I also shut off every light at night when we are home. We do have an alarm system and live in a safe area BH.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 4:14 pm
I always leave one or two lights on when going away overnight or longer.
When I'm away during the day at work, sometimes and sometimes, no pattern, every time a different light.
I'm in an apartment building with all types of characters, but the building has two cameras (front lobby and staircase) and a sense of camaraderie that neighbors would look out for each other.
I did put burglar gates on my windows before I moved in.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 4:54 pm
Lights on even when we're home. Radio on if away for more than one night. Alarm system and shotgun. Baltimore. So can be dangerous

icebreaker

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 5:01 pm
Nope, unless someone forgets to take off a light. We have cameras (Ring) around our home and inside and I can see what’s going on at any time.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 5:21 pm
I live in a house with additions to the front, side, and back, so no one can ever figure out which doors lead where, and which windows belong to which apartment. So, we feel safe leaving the lights off.
Our neighborhood is pretty safe, but once a year we'll hear about an attempted car theft, or something like that.
BTW, I didn't know ppl still have radios.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 5:25 pm
I will never forget how my father put our lights on timer when I was little whenever we went on vacation. One of our neighbors called the police cos she thought there was a robbery (she knew we were on vacation) . They stormed the house with dogs and everything and stood in front of a lamp lol

So no, I don't leave lights on. I ask my neighbours to watch out a bit.

mfb

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 5:38 pm
It’s a basic safety to keep lights on. People looking to get into homes will look for a dark one.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 6:59 pm
We have our shabbos timers in a couple of rooms in the front and we have them go on every day at those times, here or away.

yOungM0mmy

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 7:05 pm
Even if I know that we will be home way after dark but the same day, I leave a light on downstairs and upstairs. I also leave a light on downstairs overnight, and the hallway upstairs, as well as various night lights. Definitely if we're away overnight, leave on lights visible from the front and the back, upstairs and downstairs. We actually live in an area known for higher than average burglaries, including during the day, it's a wealthy area, tho we are not and you can tell from looking at our house...

Optione

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 7:08 pm
One front room is on a timer. I leave on the other front room light which has a dimmer so it's not too bright

Laiya

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 7:08 pm
With smart lights you can turn them on and off from your phone

rachel6543

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 7:45 pm
Many lights in my house are on a (smart) timer. So if we’re out of town, we always put the lights in several of the main rooms on.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 2:56 am
I always leave one or 2 lights open in the hallway, when I go away. Bklyn.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 12:07 pm
No
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics