Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What would you do about this sheitelmacher?
Previous  1  2

freilich

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 7:22 am
WhatFor wrote:
I wouldn't disappear without asserting myself just because it could reflect poorly on you. But I would definitely not apologize or try to justify. Just something to the effect of:

I will not be conned into paying y when the price we agreed on was x. I was happy to honor our agreement but by denying our original agreement exists, you have invalidated it. In attempting to bait and switch on our deal, you have demonstrated that you are a dishonest business person. I will not be doing business with you anymore. Please stop contacting me.

This.

And block her number right after.

Rappel

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 7:26 am
I'd love to be a fly on the wall when that case comes before a judge.

"I'm sorry ma'am, you charge -- how much -- for a wig???? And you expect this lady to pay you that, and you have no proof of purchase?? You're aware that a con like this could land you 7 years in prison?"

Last edited by Rappel on Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:59 am; edited 3 times in total

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 7:27 am
We had something like that, but with an apartment...in Israel.
We moved in and then were going to sign afterwards (renting) and suddenly the price went up 1000 shekels.

We ended up living there for about 1.5 years. No contract, we paid the original price and refused to sign any contract for a price higher than the original and it was tiptoed around. When we found something better we left.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 7:28 am
Had a similar bad experience with a disorganized and dishonest sheitelmacher in B.P. Perhaps we should all ask our Rabbanim if we should publicize names so others don't suffer the aggravation and monetary losses we had.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 7:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Should I tell her I'm walking away? Or just disappear?

I'm worried it looks shady if I just disappear. Every time I read one of her texts about how I owe her tons of money that I haven't paid, I feel like I really am a deadbeat. I like to avoid feeling that way as a matter of course

Yeah; that's manipulation on her part.

I don't think such a disgusting and shady person deserves even a text.

If you want to text her to make yourself feel like you are a decent person; and well because I guess two wrongs don't make a right and just because she is petty and disgusting doesn't mean you should be. (Although I would probably)

Quote:

will not be conned into paying y when the price we agreed on was x. was happy to honor our agreement but by denying our original agreement exists, you have invalidated it. In attempting to bait and switch on our deal, you have demonstrated that you are a dishonest business person. will not be doing business with you anymore. Please stop contacting me.

Because I'm petty I'd probably add something along the lines of:

"BTW - I won't hesitate to share my experience with you over social media"

After experiencing such things a few times with buying items off of social media, facebook, yad2 etc I have learned to ALWAYS get a price in WRITING, text, social media etc BEFORE and refuse to pay nothing but it.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 7:41 am
Could you have your rav write a letter to her? Would she accept that?

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:48 am
Lesson #1 for all of us: get a bill in writing when buying a sheitel, precise if it includes cut and alterations/baby hair...
Very sad to read, OP. So upsetting.
I wonder what's her side of the story... Scratching Head

mlc

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:59 am
WhatFor wrote:
I wouldn't disappear without asserting myself just because it could reflect poorly on you. But I would definitely not apologize or try to justify. Just something to the effect of:

I will not be conned into paying y when the price we agreed on was x. I was happy to honor our agreement but by denying our original agreement exists, you have invalidated it. In attempting to bait and switch on our deal, you have demonstrated that you are a dishonest business person. I will not be doing business with you anymore. Please stop contacting me.

This. Don’t let her wrongdoings cause you to take the passive-aggressive approach. It will not reflect well on you and she can use it against you as well.

I think @whatfor worded the perfect statement for you to respond

Good luck!

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 11:03 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Lesson #1 for all of us: get a bill in writing when buying a sheitel, precise if it includes cut and alterations/baby hair...

This applies to any large purchase.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 11:18 am
Put it in writing to her:

On DATE, I agreed to purchase a such-and-such type of sheitel from you for MONEY. You have now refused to sell me the sheitel for MONEY and, instead, demanded MONEY plus $1000 in violation of our agreement. You have refused to sell the sheitel for the agreed-upon sum. While I would be within my rights to bring you before a bet din to force the sale of the sheitel for MONEY, I have, for the moment, decided not to do so, and shall deem this matter concluded.

If the sheitel macher persists in threatening civil court, you can point out that you haven't said anything to anyone because it might be lashon hara, but if she persists in making it public, you'll ask your rav if you can protect your own reputation by telling everyone in the community about her bait and swutch tactics.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 4:26 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I'd get my rav to put his decision in writing, and send it over to her.

Zehu. Let her take it up with him.

It's absolutely disgusting how some of these women behave. It makes me glad I wear $15 tichels.

I doubt he’d put anything in writing considering he didn’t hear the other side.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 4:28 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
The sheital macher needs to hire an attorney to take you to court since she is a business. An attorney would make this probably not work the recovery. I know what your rav told you. I am not so sure you don't owe her money for the work done under secular law. You need to consult an attorney for that.

That’s false. In small claims court you can represent yourself as the thief in my case did. She was very experienced in this court so I’m sure she sued people every day. I guess they’re frum when it suits them

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 4:29 pm
Rappel wrote:
I'd love to be a fly on the wall when that case comes before a judge.

"I'm sorry ma'am, you charge -- how much -- for a wig???? And you expect this lady to pay you that, and you have no proof of purchase?? You're aware that a con like this could land you 7 years in prison?"

That would not happen. Judges arent surprised by hearing high prices. And he wouldn’t threaten her with jail time. That’s just not real.

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 5:51 pm
Flip Flops wrote:
Oh my; she takes ppl to court a lot?? As a sheitel macher??
Heaven help her.

Her? Heaven help her customers!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics