Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What would you think if you hear your neighbors kid say this
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 9:03 pm
Shabbos afternoon dh and I rest for a bit upstairs while our kids ages 4-8 play quietly downstairs. We used to take turns lying down but recently we feel our kids are ok for an hour playing together. They know not to open the front door, and if anything happens they can come to us.
This past shabbos, my kids were a little antsy and I was thinking I won't be able to lay down, and was okay with it. However dh did need a nap. They wanted to play with a neighbor, but if the neighbors would come over it would get too noisy for dh to sleep, so I told my kids if the neighbor is okay with you all playing there then it's fine, otherwise come back home. Anyway, my neighbor doesn't nap, and she was fine with it.
Dh and I went up and decided to do a quick one in bed. We hadn't had energy for a few days so we were happy to grab the moment.
10 minutes in, dd6 came in crying and found our door locked. It took dh a moment to throw a robe on and then calmed her and she was fine and went back to play.
I was nervous that she'd relay to the others that our door was locked and dh was wearing a robe (he doesn't wear it so often and not in the middle of the day!) And worried the neighbors mom would hear...
Sure enough when they came back home a little later, dd4 asked me if my door was indeed locked... Can't Believe It
Now I'm freaking out that my neighbor heard her say that she found our bedroom door locked.... she'd immediately know and probably think its weird! Shes super frum and would probably think were non jews for doing it in the middle of the day. Hiding
Question! How weird was it?? What would you think if you hear the neighbors kid say that??

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 9:06 pm
Not weird at all. My bedroom door gets automatically locked when closed. I wouldnt think of anything.

nchr

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 9:08 pm
Many people lock their doors. I wouldn't think anything of it.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 9:08 pm
Your thinking too much into it

tigerwife

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 9:09 pm
Why would her mind jump there? It’s perfectly normal to A. Undress for a nap B. Lock your door in case of roving play dates exploring too much and encountering you in an undressed state and C. Covering oneself in a dressing gown as a quick means of dress to answer a door versus getting fully dressed.

tf

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 9:11 pm
My door is often locked. Has nothing to do with specifics

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 9:12 pm
Weird she’d think you were non-Jews even if you dtd during the day 😕

Even if she did overhear your kids, she should just mind her business.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 9:12 pm
My friends always lock the bedroom door when taking a Shabbos nap.

I don't know if it's because they don't want their kids running in and out of the bedroom for every little thing, or if it's because they are doing stuff.

Either way, I wouldn't care. It's not my business. If they are having fun, good for them! If they just want rest, I don't blame them for wanting the door locked.

One time I stopped by a friend's house on Shabbos, after lunch. They have an open door policy, where anyone can basically walk in. Occasionally we get together to play board games on long Shabbos afternoons. None of the kids were home.

I called out a few times, and no one answered, then I heard from the bedroom, "We're taking a nap!", but they sounded quite wide awake. shock

I got out of there fast! Of course we never mentioned it.

I'm sure your super frum neighbor knows where babies come from, so I doubt she was too shocked. She may question your choice of timing, but so what?

I doubt she's going to tell the whole neighborhood. That would be far less tznius than getting caught with your door locked in the afternoon.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 9:19 pm
I would think -good for you!
You have a healthy marriage and some nice shalom bayit!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 9:19 pm
Whew, thanks guys.
I will readily admit that I think into things too much all the time.
So I'm not crazy. Bh. Smile

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 9:21 pm
Every Shabbos afternoon I lock my door because that way my kids can’t get in and let me sleep I don’t think anything odd about it. You can say ur door is locked for naps or when u go to bed if she’s stupid enough to ask

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 9:22 pm
I honestly expected answers like, what do you think locking your door when your kids are up and might need you, or not being with them and expecting them to play on their own ....

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 9:25 pm
I locked my door so many times today that my husband kept on picking the lock to go in. I didn't mean to, it was subconscious! It all started when I woke up, thought he had left for Shacharis and thought I would get dressed, but he hadn't gone and I was in the bathroom, and I heard him picking the lock to get in and retrieve his jacket. And then a million times later when I spoke to my sister on the phone for like 2 hours. And was falling asleep at my computer and decided to lie down in bed. And when I had to get dressed for a simcha and then change back again. And it was so funny because I didn't remember even locking the door and I felt so silly that he had to pick it (B"H I guess we have pickable locks?)

SuperWify

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 9:27 pm
If I was your neighbor I’d say- good for them!

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 9:42 pm
I always lock my bedroom door when I’m in my room.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 8:19 am
I lock my bedroom door every single shabbos afternoon regardless of what goes on in the bedroom!!!
Don't worry at all!!
(Maybe you shoukd lock your bedroom door more often so your kids don't get so surprised when you do!)

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:40 am
When I read the OP, I original missed the part about being intimate, and the part about DH throwing on a robe still made perfect sense to me.

Many parents lock the door when they're taking a nap.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:14 am
I'd be more concerned about all ur over-thinking than about anything the neighbor thought.
So ur door was locked, big deal. Why the panic of where her thoughts went with this? You should try not to let urself get carried away with such obsessive concerns of what other ppl think.

browser

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 11:10 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
I'd be more concerned about all ur over-thinking than about anything the neighbor thought.
So ur door was locked, big deal. Why the panic of where her thoughts went with this? You should try not to let urself get carried away with such obsessive concerns of what other ppl think.

This

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 12:14 pm
I would just mention that when you send your kids to a neighbor on Shabbos afternoon, make sure the parents are okay with it.

I've had times where DH and I were sleeping and a neighbor dropped off her kid, supposedly to play with my DD (who is quite a few years older than he is and was not interested but didn't know how to say so) without our agreement to that. They then went home to nap and didn't answer their door for several hours, and we were stuck with the child to babysit.

Doesn't sound like your situation, but just mentioning it....

Also just want to say that I'm yeshivish and very frum, and I don't think it's wierd....
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics