Home

Maybe leaving the Iran deal wasn't so great for Israel
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >>

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Jeanette

Post  Mon, Nov 11 2019, 8:36 am
Israeli intelligence predicted with astonishing accuracy all that has happened in the year and a half since President Donald Trump declared the US withdrawal from the nuclear agreement, in May 2018. In conversation with Al-Monitor in mid-2018, a senior intelligence source, speaking on condition of anonymity, sketched the full scenario: The Iranians would respond to the American exit from the agreement with violations that would grow in severity, it was said in that conversation. At first, they will start enriching uranium again to the 3.5% level, then they will increase the number of centrifuges. Later, they will increase the enriched uranium supply they hold in their territory, then they will operate the enrichment facility at Fordow and start using their sophisticated, fast centrifuges.

Read more: https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2019/11/israel-pompeo-iran-nuclear-weapon-trump-idf-strike-netanyahu.html#ixzz64yZFRbO2

Jeanette

Post  Mon, Nov 11 2019, 8:38 am
https://www.al-monitor.com/pul......html

DrMom

Post  Mon, Nov 11 2019, 8:39 am
Iran was violating the deal practically as soon as it was signed in 2015.

gingertop

Post  Mon, Nov 11 2019, 8:52 am
There was no enforcement and the IAEA didn't have full access to all sites so the entire deal wasn't very helpful. The Mossad caught IAEA unaware of huge violations of the deal.

There was absolutely no benefit to Israel in a deal that was not being enforced.

Jeanette

Post  Mon, Nov 11 2019, 8:56 am
gingertop wrote:
There was no enforcement and the IAEA didn't have full access to all sites so the entire deal wasn't very helpful. The Mossad caught IAEA unaware of huge violations of the deal.

There was absolutely no benefit to Israel in a deal that was not being enforced.

So, we went from imperfect enforcement to no enforcement. Sounds like a great tradeoff!

gingertop

Post  Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:01 am
Jeanette wrote:
So, we went from imperfect enforcement to no enforcement. Sounds like a great tradeoff!

The enforcement was from the Mossad with the IAEA first denying and then confirming each breach.
What does the Iran deal do that benefits anyone?

Jeanette

Post  Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:03 am
gingertop wrote:
The enforcement was from the Mossad with the IAEA first denying and then confirming each breach.

Well, nothing, now that it's no longer operative.

Do.you expect Iran to keep to the terms of the deal once Trump withdrew?

itsmeima

Post  Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:17 am
I don't know enough to respond.

But I'm sure his deal will be bigger and better. I mean, he's the man that knows how to investigate corruption - he's done it all his life (for free)!

gingertop

Post  Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:18 am
Jeanette wrote:

Ok. So while it was operative, before Trump withdrew,when Iran was breaking the deal right and left, what was the excuse then? What was the excuse for the IAEA's complete incompetence and Iran's belligerence?

And, again, what benefit was there to the Iran Deal BEFORE Trump withdrew? Iran was enriching uranium. It continued to be a hostile actor in Iraq, Gaza, etc.
What benefit was lost by the withdrawal?

I'm not a Trump fan. I just don't think there's any difference of an unenforced deal/no deal.

wiki

Post  Tue, Nov 12 2019, 2:19 pm
In the years of the deal that was poorly enforced, were the Iranians enriching uranium above 4.5%? Because they are now.

I don't see how leaving the deal benefits us. It does seem to harm us.

(And for the record I was a huge opponent of the deal. But leaving the bad deal for no deal at all seems to me obviously much worse. I really don't get it.)

small bean

Post  Tue, Nov 12 2019, 2:22 pm
The worst part is that trump wants to make a new deal that is just as bad as the last deal.

I think no deal because nothing will work with Iran and huge sanctions. We should cripple them as much as possible.

small bean

Post  Tue, Nov 12 2019, 2:24 pm
And by the way anonymous sources are not sources so I would take the whole article with a grain of salt. It was a bad deal and I'm a supporter of no deal. Better no deal than pretending we are doing something.

Jeanette

Post  Tue, Nov 12 2019, 3:58 pm
wiki wrote:
In the years of the deal that was poorly enforced, were the Iranians enriching uranium above 4.5%? Because they are now.

I don't see how leaving the deal benefits us. It does seem to harm us.

(And for the record I was a huge opponent of the deal. But leaving the bad deal for no deal at all seems to me obviously much worse. I really don't get it.)

I think there's a benefit to having a framework that you can refer to and say, okay, let's figure out what's working and what isn't, and what we need to fix going forward. Ripping up the deal means restarting everything from scratch.

The problem with Trump is he likes big, bold moves, but doesn't actually have the creativity or discipline to figure out any big, bold moves of his own. Instead he gets his buzz by breaking up the work done by others but has nothing to take their place.

small bean

Post  Tue, Nov 12 2019, 4:11 pm
Every single Republican ran on negating the deal on the first day. No new deal in place. This has nothing to do with your analysis of trump. New thread to discuss that Wink

Cheiny

Post  Tue, Nov 12 2019, 6:31 pm
Jeanette wrote:
Israeli intelligence predicted with astonishing accuracy all that has happened in the year and a half since President Donald Trump declared the US withdrawal from the nuclear agreement, in May 2018. In conversation with Al-Monitor in mid-2018, a senior intelligence source, speaking on condition of anonymity, sketched the full scenario: The Iranians would respond to the American exit from the agreement with violations that would grow in severity, it was said in that conversation. At first, they will start enriching uranium again to the 3.5% level, then they will increase the number of centrifuges. Later, they will increase the enriched uranium supply they hold in their territory, then they will operate the enrichment facility at Fordow and start using their sophisticated, fast centrifuges.

Read more: https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2019/11/israel-pompeo-iran-nuclear-weapon-trump-idf-strike-netanyahu.html#ixzz64yZFRbO2

Lol. Netanyahu completely agrees with what Pres. Trump did...I think he knows better what’s good for Israel.

Cheiny

Post  Tue, Nov 12 2019, 6:32 pm
DrMom wrote:
Iran was violating the deal practically as soon as it was signed in 2015.

Indeed but unfortunately liberals believe iran’s promises...

Cheiny

Post  Tue, Nov 12 2019, 6:35 pm
Jeanette wrote:

If Obama had pulled out of it (instead of secretly handing them $140 billion in the dead of night via cargo plane, receiving nothing in return other than their “word” that they’d comply and not continue making nukes, with virtually no oversight) you’d be praising it to the sky.

Cheiny

Post  Tue, Nov 12 2019, 6:38 pm
Jeanette wrote:

You’d do well working with the dems on their never ending quest to find crimes Trump has committed.

Cheiny

Post  Tue, Nov 12 2019, 6:38 pm
gingertop wrote:

Keeps Obama’s treasonous behavior under wraps...

Cheiny

Post  Tue, Nov 12 2019, 6:40 pm
Jeanette wrote:

For those expected them to keep to the terms of the deal before Trump pulled out, I have a bridge to sell them... Laugh
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h