Home

Help! It gets dark so early! How do YOU cheer up?
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Jewishfoodie




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:54 am
I like people. I like light and sound and action and makeup.. (OK. One of those might not belong)

Suddenly, it's dark BEFORE I get home from work! 😢
I come home and my muscle memory wants to go to BED! Not cook! Not laundry! Bed!

How do you combat that?! I tried coming home and having a coffee but that just made me all warm and fuzzy and I just grabbed a blanket, to go read...

Help!!

(I'm aware that this happens every single year. No need to dig it in...)

How do YOU cheer up? (Instead of slipping into an unobtrusive coma..)
Back to top

gingertop




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:57 am
Keeping all lights in the house on, I start reading a new book, with a mug of coffee, as it gets dark. Books keep me up.
Then it's a challenge to get anything done because I just want to keep reading Smile
Back to top

Jewishfoodie




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:02 am
gingertop wrote:
Keeping all lights in the house on, I start reading a new book, with a mug of coffee, as it gets dark. Books keep me up.
Then it's a challenge to get anything done because I just want to keep reading Smile


Lights on is a good idea. But coffee and reading must be banished to the "bad list" because it is a SIN to stop reading just like that! Imagine, if you will..

"He loaded his rifle and peered through the scope. At that distance, he would have to factor in the curvature of the earth before he could properly take aim. His fingers deftly toggled the focus to make up for the distance the bullet would be traveling and he took careful.. "

HI Ma! Surprise! We were in the neighborhood and we figured let's eat supper together!!

Yay! But...
Back to top

groisamomma




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:04 am
Following. Beginning of winter forces me into a warm bath for hours...
Back to top

gingertop




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:05 am
Jewishfoodie wrote:
Lights on is a good idea. But coffee and reading must be banished to the "bad list" because it is a SIN to stop reading just like that! Imagine, if you will..

"He loaded his rifle and peered through the scope. At that distance, he would have to factor in the curvature of the earth before he could properly take aim. His fingers deftly toggled the focus to make up for the distance the bullet would be traveling and he took careful.. "

HI Ma! Surprise! We were in the neighborhood and we figured let's eat supper together!!

Yay! But...


I know, right? No solution is perfect. Sometimes you have to put down a book mid chapter and pretend to hear what the kids are saying while you're really dying to to know if the sniper made his shot:punch
Back to top

flowerpower




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:06 am
I love winter! The early nights actually gives me energy. I go out more at night in the winter than the summer.
Back to top

Jewishfoodie




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:13 am
groisamomma wrote:
Following. Beginning of winter forces me into a warm bath for hours...

(bath bomb, right? Me too!)
Back to top

imanonymous




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:14 am
How did I know it was JewishFoodie's thread before I opened it?

Oh, the all-caps YOU in the thread title.

I don't mind the dark, actually, because then I can put my kids to bed earlier without a fuss!
Back to top

Jewishfoodie




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:14 am
flowerpower wrote:
I love winter! The early nights actually gives me energy. I go out more at night in the winter than the summer.


Why! Are you shy in public? Do you like walks in the rain? Lol! Hate! Dark equals bed, equals sleep.
Back to top

groisamomma




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:16 am
Jewishfoodie wrote:
(bath bomb, right? Me too!)


I hate winter. Unlike flowerpower, I don't go anywhere once I get home. My bones are freezing through and through, I sometimes take 3 or 4 quick baths just to warm up my fingers.
Back to top

Jewishfoodie




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:17 am
imanonymous wrote:
How did I know it was JewishFoodie's thread before I opened it?

Oh, the all-caps YOU in the thread title.

I don't mind the dark, actually, because then I can put my kids to bed earlier without a fuss!


(yeah.. That was good.. When I had little ones...AND WHEN DO I TYPE IN ALL CAPS?! WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT! I HATE SCREAMING! I NEVER.. EVER.. oh. I see. Yeah, I'm good with that..)
Back to top

Jewishfoodie




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:19 am
gingertop wrote:
I know, right? No solution is perfect. Sometimes you have to put down a book mid chapter and pretend to hear what the kids are saying while you're really dying to to know if the sniper made his shot:punch


(He did. From half a mile away! But he was one of the good guys...)
Back to top

gingertop




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:21 am
Jewishfoodie wrote:
(He did. From half a mile away! But he was one of the good guys...)



Who was a good guy, the sniper or the target?
Back to top

Tzutzie




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:25 am
Ha. I like the early nights. Kids don't fuss that the sun is out and what do I have to go to bed already???
Now my kids ask if it's already IN MIDDDDDLE of the night. They feel like they are going to bed soooo late. Even though I show them it's 7 pm. Same as summertime. Lol!!!!!!
Back to top

Jewishfoodie




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:25 am
gingertop wrote:
Who was a good guy, the sniper or the target?


Sniper.
Back to top

Gulabi




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:35 am
Baths with loads of lovely smelly things, cooking, reading. I'm off to India tomorrow it get dark early there even in summer, in the north. And so they go to bed early. I'll sneak about behind my grannys back, might drink a little, read my kindle etc. Basically act like a teenager
Back to top

yonah




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:46 am
Prozac!! I suffer from SAD and anxiety (and winter makes it worse) and it's my lifeline in the winter.

Other tips: sunlamp (must get another one, made aliyah and got rid of my old one), all lights on, bright white lights. Vitamin D, but it can take a while to kick in and build enough. I also try and eat healthier but give in to my carb cravings occasionally. Oh, chocolate and Ben and Jerry's Phish Food. Yum. And pasta. Yum.

Most of the time though, good luck getting me to go out. At least I don't have snow to deal with anymore.

Edit: Aromatherapy also works for me, just remember not to put too much scent into the diffuser!
Back to top

chanatron1000




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:48 am
I find citrus scents very uplifting.
Back to top

Saralle




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:49 am
Winter is great. Kids go to bed early and they're feeling tired and think it's late because it's dark outside, and then I settle into the couch with some comedy or magazines or whatever. And a tea. Or coffee... oh, and chocolate. The mess can wait for tomorrow.
Back to top

lavenderchimes




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:58 am
I'm planning to try a sun lamp this year. So far in my life, nothing has helped. But I have a friend who LOVES her sun lamp, so ... hopeful!
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Please respond and help me with my Chanuka game.
by amother
35 Yesterday at 10:30 pm View last post
Food Plating and Pairing Help 4 Yesterday at 2:35 pm View last post
Five towns help
by amother
4 Yesterday at 11:42 am View last post
Please help me with gifts for my sisters 7 Yesterday at 10:20 am View last post
Rashi font? help? 4 Wed, Dec 11 2019, 8:19 pm View last post

Jump to: