Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Thyroid doctor/endocrinologist
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 4:59 pm
I'm looking for a good endo or any doctor that knows how to interpret thyroid results. I've been tested and everything looks normal, but I have all the symptoms, and have had them for years. My understanding is that the range of what's normal is way too conservative in medical testing and a lot of thyroid problems don't get diagnosed. I went to a psychiatrist who took one look at me especially my nails and heard my story and immediately gave me a prescription for synthroid. He said you're not depressed, you're sick.
I'm afraid to take it without an official medical doctor overseeing my treatment adjusting the meds etc. SOOOO, I'm hoping someone can direct me to a good doctor in Israel who can help me. Someone who won't send me away because my numbers still fall within the official range of normal. I'm in yerushalyim but I would go anywhere for this. Hope someone can help me.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 5:00 pm
I like Dr Becker

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 7:10 pm
Do you have copies of your labs?

Jewishfoodie

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 7:52 pm
Dr. Zwickler. Nanuet I think. He's terrific
(sorry. Missed the Israel part. But for those in the US who are looking..)

Last edited by Jewishfoodie on Wed, Nov 13 2019, 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total

overworked

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 8:03 pm
I 2nd Dr zwickler but it's a long wait to get an appointment with him directly

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 2:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm looking for a good endo or any doctor that knows how to interpret thyroid results. I've been tested and everything looks normal, but I have all the symptoms, and have had them for years. My understanding is that the range of what's normal is way too conservative in medical testing and a lot of thyroid problems don't get diagnosed. I went to a psychiatrist who took one look at me especially my nails and heard my story and immediately gave me a prescription for synthroid. He said you're not depressed, you're sick.
I'm afraid to take it without an official medical doctor overseeing my treatment adjusting the meds etc. SOOOO, I'm hoping someone can direct me to a good doctor in Israel who can help me. Someone who won't send me away because my numbers still fall within the official range of normal. I'm in yerushalyim but I would go anywhere for this. Hope someone can help me.
First of all, Ive been on thyroid meds for about 6 years (thyroid cancer, thyroid was removed) and I dont go to my endo to adjust my meds. I do blood work often and my regular GP tells me how to adjust the amounts. Just so you realize, thats doable. To find out if your numbers are in range or if they are no good, you can just do a blood test.
In terms of a good endo, I went to Dr Rena Polak in hadasa ein kerem. I think I needed a hitchayvut, but she was wonderful. She sat with me for a very long time and was very thorough about everything she thought was important.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 10:41 am
Thanks for all the responses.
Just to clarify - Dr. Zwickler is not in Israel, right?
Also, where does Dr Becker work?
And I found an endocrinologist named Dr. RIVKA Pollack on the Hadassah website, not RENA. Is she the one you meant?

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 7:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for all the responses.
Just to clarify - Dr. Zwickler is not in Israel, right?
Also, where does Dr Becker work?
And I found an endocrinologist named Dr. RIVKA Pollack on the Hadassah website, not RENA. Is she the one you meant?
I thought it was rena, but I would assume if its at hadasa its the same person.

dats me

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 7:49 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I thought it was rena, but I would assume if its at hadasa its the same person.

No, there are actually 2 endocrinologists in Hadassah, Rena and rivka Pollack! One is the head of the department, but I'm not sure which one. So if you're looking for a specific one, clarify who it is.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 8:09 am
Ok that's really good to know. I'm looking for whichever doctor would be more open to considering treating a thyroid problem that's not showing up in the blood work. At least not according to the range that apparently is considered too wide.
Would Rena Pollack be the right choice?
I was turned away already by an endo who said if I'm in range I don't have a problem.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 4:25 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
First of all, Ive been on thyroid meds for about 6 years (thyroid cancer, thyroid was removed) and I dont go to my endo to adjust my meds. I do blood work often and my regular GP tells me how to adjust the amounts. Just so you realize, thats doable. To find out if your numbers are in range or if they are no good, you can just do a blood test.
In terms of a good endo, I went to Dr Rena Polak in hadasa ein kerem. I think I needed a hitchayvut, but she was wonderful. She sat with me for a very long time and was very thorough about everything she thought was important.

I hear what you're saying. I just don't think my regular doctor will be willing to manage my meds if a thyroid problem is not really diagnosed. Just suspected by a psychiatrist. Sorry if I'm making you guys crazy, just wanted to clarify. - do you think Dr Rena Pollack is the right address for my situation? Or Dr. Becker? Where does Dr Becker work?

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 2:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok that's really good to know. I'm looking for whichever doctor would be more open to considering treating a thyroid problem that's not showing up in the blood work. At least not according to the range that apparently is considered too wide.
Would Rena Pollack be the right choice?
I was turned away already by an endo who said if I'm in range I don't have a problem.
OP, if its not coming up in blood work, then why do you think you have a thyroid problem? It may very well be something else.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 2:28 pm
I actually have no symptoms but had elevated TSH so they gave me levothyroxine. I’m in the lowest dose. Btw for the US folks I was using Dr. Raice in Pomona but she doesn’t take my insurance. Don’t want to sabotage this thread but if people can recommend US and Israel doctors.

OP have you checked all your other endocrine levels? Or may be another hormone that needs tweaking. Consider doing a full blood panels with all the vitamins and whatnot. I randomly also had a vitamin B deficiency.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 3:28 pm
My case is pretty strange.
I'm going to tell you the whole story:
Literally 8 years ago I went to a psychiatrist for depression, but shared with him that it mostly manifested as extreme fatigue. He looked at my fingernails and told me I definitely have a thyroid problem and that it doesn't matter if my blood work shows it or not. He wrote me a prescription and I filled the prescription. But I got cold feet about taking it. This psychiatrist was 1000 dollars a session (not exaggerating) and so I knew I couldn't keep seeing him to manage my meds. So I went to an endocrinologist on meuchedet. He told me definitely DON'T take the meds and that I don't have a thyroid problem. Fast forward 2 years and I'm at the doctor for secondary infertility. My only child is now 6 and I have never had another. The doctor looked at my blood work and refused to start fertility treatment. He said I'm hypothyroid and I need to fix that first.
I went BACK to the endo who retested me and this time the blood work was normal. Two weeks later he tested again and the bloodwork was again normal. He wrote a letter to my fertility doctor saying that the initial thyroid levels were off only by a fluke and that I'm fine and can be treated for infertility. Just to be sure I went to two other endocrinologists who agreed that I don't have a thyroid problem and don't worry about it. Six years have passed since this story.
After years of IVF I never had another child. I also have deep ridges in my nails and the texture of my hair has completely changed. It is falling out, and what's still left is coarse, frizzy, and wirey (excuse the image, but it's like pubic hair). I'm also cold all the time and still tired. I recently had my thyroid re-tested and its still in the range of normal. I'm sort of haunted my this diagnosis that I got 8 years ago by this very respected psychiatrist, who was sure that I had a thyroid issue and didn't care what my numbers were. I also know that thyroid issues can cause infertility. SOOOO, I just want to get this checked out once more. I recently got a haircut and the lady was shocked at what had happened to my hair. Same with manicurists. They keep telling me that I should see a doctor something is definitely off. Meanwhile my doctor keeps telling me that I'm fine.
I don't know if anyone had the patience to read this very long story, but I figured I'd share it in case it sheds light on the situation. I'm just looking for a broad minded doctor who can maybe sleuth out what's going on with me.
Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

dats me

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 3:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My case is pretty strange.
I'm going to tell you the whole story:
Literally 8 years ago I went to a psychiatrist for depression, but shared with him that it mostly manifested as extreme fatigue. He looked at my fingernails and told me I definitely have a thyroid problem and that it doesn't matter if my blood work shows it or not. He wrote me a prescription and I filled the prescription. But I got cold feet about taking it. This psychiatrist was 1000 dollars a session (not exaggerating) and so I knew I couldn't keep seeing him to manage my meds. So I went to an endocrinologist on meuchedet. He told me definitely DON'T take the meds and that I don't have a thyroid problem. Fast forward 2 years and I'm at the doctor for secondary infertility. My only child is now 6 and I have never had another. The doctor looked at my blood work and refused to start fertility treatment. He said I'm hypothyroid and I need to fix that first.
I went BACK to the endo who retested me and this time the blood work was normal. Two weeks later he tested again and the bloodwork was again normal. He wrote a letter to my fertility doctor saying that the initial thyroid levels were off only by a fluke and that I'm fine and can be treated for infertility. Just to be sure I went to two other endocrinologists who agreed that I don't have a thyroid problem and don't worry about it. Six years have passed since this story.
After years of IVF I never had another child. I also have deep ridges in my nails and the texture of my hair has completely changed. It is falling out, and what's still left is coarse, frizzy, and wirey (excuse the image, but it's like pubic hair). I'm also cold all the time and still tired. I recently had my thyroid re-tested and its still in the range of normal. I'm sort of haunted my this diagnosis that I got 8 years ago by this very respected psychiatrist, who was sure that I had a thyroid issue and didn't care what my numbers were. I also know that thyroid issues can cause infertility. SOOOO, I just want to get this checked out once more. I recently got a haircut and the lady was shocked at what had happened to my hair. Same with manicurists. They keep telling me that I should see a doctor something is definitely off. Meanwhile my doctor keeps telling me that I'm fine.
I don't know if anyone had the patience to read this very long story, but I figured I'd share it in case it sheds light on the situation. I'm just looking for a broad minded doctor who can maybe sleuth out what's going on with me.
Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know how helpful this will be, but I'm also dealing with thyroid issues in Israel and it's been frustrating. Depending on what stage I'm in, my tsh levels go in and out of the "normal' range, so I've been on and off meds accordingly. But I can relate to much of what you're dealing with, because my symptoms have never really improved even when tsh is supposedly normal, and I had doctors suggesting that it was all in my head. And the truth is that even on meds I don't feel enough of a difference. I made the rounds to several doctors until one agreed to put me on a low dose even with normal but not ideal tsh . The only thing that I found that really improved things for me was a massive change in diet. I did a lot of research online and spent time figuring out what made sense for me to try according to my symptoms. It's way harder obviously than taking a pill which I still do too, but when I stick to it , it does help. The doctors here were not helpful at all in this regard, pretty uninformed about nutrition in general, but I was having such low quality of life that I realized I needed to do this. It took me years to figure out what to do and I'm still in the process.
I did see the head of endocrinology in Hadassah ( one of the Dr pollaks but I can't remember her first name) and she is the one who agreed that I should take a low dose when other doctors dismissed me. She might take you seriously because she was very focused on my skin and nails . I hope you feel better real soon!!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 4:18 pm
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my (long!) post and write that reply. I really REALLY appreciate it.
I do agree that diet is a big component, and when I'm careful about it I feel better....never GREAT, but less bad. Can you share some specifics about your diet? I'm mostly do low carb, no sugar, lots of greens and I take iodine pills- anything else I should do?
I'm sorry that you're dealing with a similar issue, it is SO frustrating, and so demoralizing when doctors dismiss it as being "all in your head."
I will make an appointment with Dr Pollack (the one who is the head of the department) - thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
If I learn anything valuable I'll post it on here.
Thanks again Hug

PP31419

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 4:54 pm
Why are you taking iodine pills?

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 5:08 pm
PP31419 wrote:
Why are you taking iodine pills?

Good question!
OP, if you're taking a multi and it has the RDA of iodine, I think 150 mcg, that is a true RDA, it's not like other vitamins where people safely and successfully take doses higher than the RDA. Excess iodine could actually trigger hyperT.

There is an interesting debate about iodine out there. I err on the side of caution and don't take extra iodine. If I were hypo, I would only take iodine with a dr's or very competent naturopath's guidance.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 5:22 pm
As a matter of fact a relative of mine had to have his thyroid removed due to a questionable nodule. So obviously he needs to take synthroid. His doctor actually told him to use the iodine free salt. My point is that iodine does play some role so I wouldn’t just pop it like vitamin C unless you have a known deficiency or your doctor told you to take it

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 8:57 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
As a matter of fact a relative of mine had to have his thyroid removed due to a questionable nodule. So obviously he needs to take synthroid. His doctor actually told him to use the iodine free salt. My point is that iodine does play some role so I wouldn’t just pop it like vitamin C unless you have a known deficiency or your doctor told you to take it

There is a chance of iodine triggering hyper in whatever tissue might be left, as remote a possibility as it is. I think the idea of avoiding iodine is because when it comes to the questionable stuff you're referring to, doctors want to keep the patients as stable as possible.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions