Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Are you a toilet paper roll user or a kleenex bottom wiper
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 8:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I mainly want to know if you automatically continued using what you saw in your home as a kid, no matter if your financial situation allowed or couldn't afford different options.

This is part of a larger picture of getting used to certain needs growing up and or not letting go of frugal habits even if your finances change.

In my life I never considered using toilet paper as being frugal. Perhaps using the cheapest one - but not the entire concept of toilet paper.

Odelyah

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 8:16 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
In my life I never considered using toilet paper as being frugal. Perhaps using the cheapest one - but not the entire concept of toilet paper.

Yes it's just the normal standard in the US and most of the world.. and the places where it isn't standard probably aren't using Kleenex either..

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 8:24 pm
If someone grows up using something that give a certain feeling of coverage and cleanliness, I think it is very difficult to go backwards. You always feel dirty. You may find yourself using way more of the less sturdy product to try to achieve the same feel, and therefore not save money. If you're trying to accommodate a septic system, then OK, only toilet paper, but deal with using more amd needing a certain quality. And if you really can't afford it, and the person has to downgrade in quality, fully expect them to complain.

mishpacha1

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:12 pm
lol. funniest thread I've seen all day

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:17 pm
If you're frugal, you use a bidet, and you only use toilet paper to dry, not wipe.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:20 pm
We use kleenex tissues and wipes and non of our toilets have ever clogged.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:20 pm
When I was growing up, we used "good" toilet paper, always bought on sale. Now, DH is in charge of finances and most purchasing, and we get the cheap toilet paper. The last (huge) package he bought doesn't fit in the holder, lol, so frustrating! I use cheap tissues for Shabbos, but DH uses TP. Missing my good tissues even more than the good TP ...

iyar

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:23 pm
mishpacha1 wrote:
lol. funniest thread I've seen all day

I thought it was only me laughing alone.
It all started when an ima admitted she uses cheap shower caps to cover bowels and melons. TMI
Nice to know I have company.
Thanks mishp1!

singleagain

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:26 pm
This thread reminds me of the late great John Pinette

Teomima

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I mainly want to know if you automatically continued using what you saw in your home as a kid, no matter if your financial situation allowed or couldn't afford different options.

This is part of a larger picture of getting used to certain needs growing up and or not letting go of frugal habits even if your finances change.

This thread is so interesting to me because it never even occurred to me that there might be people who don't use toilet paper.

Yes, I grew up using TP I still do. But I don't think that alone is very relevant to the (fascinating) discussions about frugality and maintaining habits in your adult home that you brought with you from your childhood home.

I mean, if you're going to discuss that and TP, the real question is do you hang over or under? (Growing up we hung over, dh's family hung under, but I prevailed and in our home together we now hang over. ) And if you bring the frugality into it, there's also cultural options to consider. For example, here in Israel it is very common for people to use a roll of TP instead of tissues. Truthfully I don't always buy tissues (ironically, several people said they don't buy TP because their babies unwrap them...well, my babies have no unsupervised access to TP the bathroom but they do have the ability to grab a pack of tissues from the table and a favorite game amongst my little ones has been to see how quickly they could empty the pack before Ima notices) but since we always have TP around, we'll often grab a roll to use as tissues to keep bedside or when someone has a cold.

mishpacha1

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 11:10 pm
iyar wrote:
I thought it was only me laughing alone.
It all started when an ima admitted she uses cheap shower caps to cover bowels and melons. TMI
Nice to know I have company.
Thanks mishp1!

LOL anytime!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 11:33 pm
flushable wipes, and toilet paper -only cottonelle - but not the ultra soft. And we tear for shabbos. not out of frugality unless my dh snuck that one by me since he is frugal, but that never occurred to me.

Tissues are kleenex. but usually not used as toilet paper.

nchr

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 11:34 pm
Toilet paper only. Charmin ultra soft.
No flushable wipes (there is no such thing BTW).
Tissues are for noses only - Kleenex or Puffs.

Last edited by nchr on Mon, Nov 11 2019, 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 11:36 pm
We were told by a plumber that if you have a pump (for a basement bathroom, for example) make sure the tissues are the cheap ones (e.g. Aspen) not Kleenex, which will clog.

Septic systems may be even more sensitive, and require TP. You could AYLP!

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 11:38 pm
Only Kleenex and bidet because of hemorrhoids.

My youngest had no idea what to do with toilet paper. Was kinda comical!

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 11:45 pm
Either Kirkland or Walmart brand tissues. We started out with toilet paper and tissues for shabbat but now we just use tissues.
I grew up with only toilet paper and we tore before shabbat...I think still have trauma from the pressure!
Anyway, my kids would have a heyday with toilet paper.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 2:11 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
This is another one of those threads that leaves me shaking my head and wondering why on earth someone would need to know what toilet paper other people use or that they even spent time thinking about it

lol alien thread alert

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 2:24 am
Bemoaning the no more aspen tissues. Not happy with the other brands grocery sells. TP doesn’t work by us bec it gets rolled around the house. But I do love charmen and another brand (maybe northern s/t? Very soft) so every now and then I’ll buy but still no success with it thanks to kids.
(Ftr they’ll plenty times take a half box of tissues or so & dump in toilet too, but waaaay less frequently)

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 9:46 am
Thinking now that none of my toilets even have a TP roll holder installed. Is that weird?

madys

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 10:04 am
After having too many sewer back ups in our basement - only toilet paper goes in the toilet. Right now, we are using costco brand, but I'm not so nuts about it, it's pretty thin, so I end up using more of it.

I keep a pretty basket with cut up toilet paper on top of the toilet for shabbos/yom tov. I fill it periodically during the week when I see it's getting low.

Also, we have 3 toilets, so if one runs out on shabbos, I take from the others.

It's been working, and bh, no more back ups
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics