Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Red (lentil?) soup from Fountain Ballroom (iso recipe)
1  2  Next

mamaleh

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 7:22 pm
I was at a wedding last night at the Fountain Ballroom (Cheder on Vassar) in Lakewood. They served an amazing, rich, red soup. My guess was red lentils and vegetables with a beef broth base (or meat in the soup- but I didn't see any pieces) but I'm not sure. Has anyone else had it there? Any ideas what's in it?

(And/or I'd take a recipe for a red lentil veggie soup that's very rich and filling)

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 7:44 pm
When red lentils are cooked they look more like split pea color. Was the soup actually red?

mamaleh

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 8:16 pm
ra_mom wrote:
When red lentils are cooked they look more like split pea color. Was the soup actually red?

Yes! Not quite a tomato soup red, but very close. The texture was what made me say lentils. Maybe I’m wrong.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 8:20 pm
Google tomato and lentil soup and then click on images. If any of the pictures look like the soup, show it to us so we can try to help you recreate it. Smile

mamaleh

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 8:30 pm
Thanks ra mom! I don’t see anything like it (but I did see some that look good 😁). Maybe someone else has had it & can help figure out what it was.

Simple1

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:23 pm
Red lentil soup would be yellowish.

1untamedgirl

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:29 pm
mamaleh wrote:
I was at a wedding last night at the Fountain Ballroom (Cheder on Vassar) in Lakewood. They served an amazing, rich, red soup. My guess was red lentils and vegetables with a beef broth base (or meat in the soup- but I didn't see any pieces) but I'm not sure. Has anyone else had it there? Any ideas what's in it?

(And/or I'd take a recipe for a red lentil veggie soup that's very rich and filling)

Could it be beets? That would make the broth red (as would paprika). Maybe call the hall and ask them directly.

tweek

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:42 pm
1untamedgirl wrote:
Could it be beets? That would make the broth red (as would paprika). Maybe call the hall and ask them directly.

Yes, great idea to call the hall! They will be flattered! Even if they can't or won't give you an exact recipe, they will tell you what type of soup it was, and give you a basic idea of what was in it.

And when you find out, please come back here and let us know!

sky

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:42 pm
The by cookbook lentil soup is a deep orange. It has tomato paste and red wine. If you would use a meat broth as the base the color would be strong.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:47 pm
I wonder if it had roasted red peppers.

mamaleh

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:41 pm
sky wrote:
The by cookbook lentil soup is a deep orange. It has tomato paste and red wine. If you would use a meat broth as the base the color would be strong.

That sounds like it might be right! I’ll look it up later.
Thanks!

mamaleh

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:42 pm
1untamedgirl wrote:

It definitely wasn’t beets. If I can get up the nerve, I will find out who the caterer was and call them.

mamaleh

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:43 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I wonder if it had roasted red peppers.

Almost definitely not. I do not like cooked peppers and can always pick out their flavor.

mamaleh

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 11:01 pm
mamaleh wrote:
That sounds like it might be right! I’ll look it up later.
Thanks!

Ok, checked it and the picture does not appear to be what I’m looking for.

I looked up the hall and emailed the caterer. I told them we loved the soup & would really like to make it at home. Asked if they would share what’s in it or even a recipe. I’ll let you know if/when they reply!

Thanks all!

mamaleh

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 9:47 am
Update:
I got a reply the next morning, basically saying it was a trade secret & they don’t share recipes. I asked if she could tell me what kind of soup it was so I could try to make my own. Her response: “Hearty Vegetable”🙄

I decided to try something today, I just finished putting it up in my crockpot. Here’s what I put in:
A big handful of baby carrots
A sweet potato
A couple of Yukon gold potatoes
2 small zucchini
A sweet onion
A regular onion
Some fresh garlic
Stew meat
A bag of the gefen lentils (the cooked ones)
A can of crushed tomatoes
A bit of balsamic
2 bay leaves
Salt, pepper, mustard, chili powder

I diced the veggies into small pieces. Sautéed the onions, added the veggies till they were sweating nicely and dumped it in the crock. Cut the meat into smaller pieces, browned it & dumped it in. Used the balsamic & some water to deglaze the pan. Dumped the lentils & tomatoes in the crock, added the spices and the liquid and put the whole mess on low.

I’ll let you know how it comes out!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 10:11 am
Can you ask the caterer what made it red? So curious now if it's a tomato based veggie soup.

BatyaEsther

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 10:25 am
ra_mom wrote:
Can you ask the caterer what made it red? So curious now if it's a tomato based veggie soup.

Based on OP's reported response to the email, I'm guessing that will say "trade secret".
I too would love to know as I make red lentil soup for Parshat Toldot every year, and I hate that it is yellow-beige, really not red at all. I am always a little tempted to add red food coloring, but the thought of adding the unnecessary chemicals and additives to the soup makes me wince. (Yet I have no problem with cookies and icing.)
My family doesn't eat tomato based soup, but maybe some beet juice will work. I know that is how they get the beyond beef burgers to "bleed".

egam

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 10:40 am
BatyaEsther wrote:
Based on OP's reported response to the email, I'm guessing that will say "trade secret".
I too would love to know as I make red lentil soup for Parshat Toldot every year, and I hate that it is yellow-beige, really not red at all. I am always a little tempted to add red food coloring, but the thought of adding the unnecessary chemicals and additives to the soup makes me wince. (Yet I have no problem with cookies and icing.)
My family doesn't eat tomato based soup, but maybe some beet juice will work. I know that is how they get the beyond beef burgers to "bleed".

Beet would probably turn it more purple then red. How about adding some red curry paste?

mamaleh

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 11:52 am
ra_mom wrote:

I agree with BatyaEsther. If she was willing to give me any hints, she would have.

mamaleh

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 11:58 am
BatyaEsther wrote:

Why don’t you eat tomato based soups? Is it an allergy or just a taste preference? If it’s taste then I must say the soup they served did not taste like tomato based soup at all. That’s why I thought of lentils. (I didn’t realize they aren’t red after cooking.) Based on all of the recipes I looked at, I’m now realizing, it must have been tomato based but...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics