Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Does this bother you, too?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 8:56 pm
A whatsapp question. I'm on several groups, mostly for my kids' classes. Normal posts for a class whatsapp group would be a question about homework or an upcoming test or a question about scheduling. Iow, general types of questions related to issues of the class. If someone has a specific need, like a ride, I think that's ok to post in the group, too.

What irks me are random posts that have nothing specifically to do with the subject of the group. Like, pics of your ds's bar mitzvah in Israel. Mazel tov, sounds beautiful, but send them to your personal friends, not the group. I barely know you, this isn't the place to share your pics. Or, a link to a shiur someone found inspiring. Thanks, but if I was looking for a shiur, it wouldn't be here. Even the good shabbos posts are annoying. My phone dings so I turn it on and it's someone saying Good Shabbos. Then it dings 6 more times as various moms all have to respond with Good shabbos. Really?

What do you think, am I just an old grouch?

watergirl

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:03 pm
Just mute the notifications. You will still be able to open whatsapp and see how many messages you missed. Then no more dings! Easy.

thanks

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
A whatsapp question. I'm on several groups, mostly for my kids' classes. Normal posts for a class what's a? pp group would be a question about homework or an upcoming test or a question about scheduling. Iow, general types of questions related to issues of the class. If someone has a specific need, like a ride, I think that's ok to post in the group, too.

What irks me are random posts that have nothing specifically to do with the subject of the group. Like, pics of your ds's bar mitzvah in Israel. Mazel tov, sounds beautiful, but send them to your personal friends, not the group. I barely know you, this isn't the place to share your pics. Or, a link to a shiur someone found inspiring. Thanks, but if I was looking for a shiur, it wouldn't be here. Even the good shabbos posts are annoying. My phone dings so I turn it on and it's someone saying Good Shabbos. Then it dings 6 more times as various moms all have to respond with Good shabbos. Really?

What do you think, am I just an old grouch?

I might be an old grouch like you.
Muting is a good idea, but those texts don't belong in the chat at all.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:10 pm
Mute that specific group. This way you won’t get notifications.

Rachel Shira

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:13 pm
Definitely annoying, and weird. I’m in multiple groups for specific purposes and no one sends private pictures or good Shabbos texts.

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:18 pm
I agree.

Muting is not a perfect solution because we're talking about groups that are for information sharing. If you ignore them, you could miss something important. I mean muting the sound helps but you'll still have the little icon "3 new messages" prompting you to open the chat only to find out it's someone's wannabe-inspirational meme.

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:24 pm
I hear you. I signed out of a group for that very reason. It was formed to support a worthy cause and then people started using it as a general bulletin board for everything under the sun including political electioneering. So I quit the group. Fortunately a friend in the group kept me updated about the original project and I was able to stay involved and on track that way.

shanie5

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:32 pm
I got to the point of posting "this group is for ________ only. Please do not post off topic stuff as it doesn't belong here. Thank you."
It usually stops the excess chatter. If that doesn't work, I leave the group.

zohar

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:35 pm
What works is having rules and a good group admin who can post reminders.

pizza4

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:53 pm
I also get annoyed at that. It's one thing if it's just a friendly group like friends or neighbors but a group made for a specific thing should stay that. So if I'm on a group for rides and was once on a group discussing vaccines, please don't post about a playgroup there!
Good shabbos messages are just stupid. They mean nothing, and should not be sent. Someone's private pictures should stay that way and if you want to share, send to the friend you think would be interested.
Or the occasional panic messages about stupidities that keep circling.
They are like the scam phone calls that bother me all day, from 8 in the morning through the afternoon. Wow I just realized that at some point they stop, I don't generally get calls in the evening! Woohoo.

pizza4

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:57 pm
If someone remembers something super important at 130am like I need cleaning help or something, it definitely can't wait for the morning! Can't Believe It

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:11 pm
Thanks for the validation ladies. I'm afraid to mute it for the reason Seeker mentioned. At least now I know I'm not the only one who gets annoyed!

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 11:11 pm
It's extremely annoying when groups are created for a certain reason and people use them to post other random things.

My mother is on one group that's for a specific reason, and if anyone posts anything that's not appropriate for the group, the admin kicks them off.

The admin of the group has to be strict and keep reminding people.

giselle

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 11:21 pm
Weird. I don’t think any of my chats are like that.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 11:25 pm
Multiple What's app groups is a Jewish thing..I was so surprised to hear my non Jewish neighbors aren't on any groups.

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 12:00 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Multiple What's app groups is a Jewish thing..I was so surprised to hear my non Jewish neighbors aren't on any groups.

Don't know about Whatsapp but I'm on some Google Groups of non-Jewish neighbors and the like. And I have a Whatsapp work-related group that's mixed (company started by Jewish people but now includes both.) I guess it makes sense that different demographics tend to have different favorite platforms. My Whatsapp people for the most part aren't in Facebook groups, and I don't do Instagram or Snapchat or whatever else people use for interaction.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 2:35 am
Here's an idea (not originally my own).

I'm part of a "tachlis" WhatsApp group that offers an optional parallel group for "all the other stuff". It works really well Smile

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 2:41 am
Huh? What does that even mean, a jewish thing? I am finding that pretty funny.
I am in so groups, except family ones, with some friends and thankfully, for my child's class, the teacher started one where only she can post things, exactly for this reason.
I mute every single group that I dont want to hear pings all day long and just look at them a few times during the day.

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 2:45 am
Multiple What's app groups is a Jewish thing..

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

Srsly?

Whatsapp has 1.5 billion active users.
https://www.statista.com/stati.....-dau/

Guess what that means? People other than Jews are using this app.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 3:07 am
YES! We have a high school chat. Mainly to announce engagements and weddings and babies.
There's 1 person out of the 60 on there who always posts random things.
I wish I knew a way to tell her to stop!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette