Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Does this bother you, too?
Previous  1  2

Metukah

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 12:34 am
DrMom wrote:
Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

Srsly?

Whatsapp has 1.5 billion active users.
https://www.statista.com/stati.....-dau/

Guess what that means? People other than Jews are using this app.

Well if her non Jewish neighbours aren't on any groups, it must mean no non Jews are.

Raisin

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 12:36 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Multiple What's app groups is a Jewish thing..I was so surprised to hear my non Jewish neighbors aren't on any groups.

I think whatsapp is less popular in the us.

I am on some non Jewish whatsapp groups but I am not in the us.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 2:33 am
I like a few pics

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 2:37 am
shanie5 wrote:
I got to the point of posting "this group is for ________ only. Please do not post off topic stuff as it doesn't belong here. Thank you."
It usually stops the excess chatter. If that doesn't work, I leave the group.

Yup. If you don't want to say it, PM the admin to say it.
I would be furious if moms on my kid's gan group would post personal pics. It's a group for gan info. I have 5 kids, so multiply all the chats by 5. Who has time for that?
I mute pretty much all notifications and I check my groups as I feel it's needed.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 4:42 am
DrMom wrote:

Srsly?

I really don't understand the confusion.
Of course many many non-Jews are using WhatsApp. According to my understanding, what she meant was, in her experience, it's mostly the frum Jews who tend to join many WhatsApp groups. I guess she feels the non Jews prefer other platforms to communicate and for social media. Which makes sense- WhatsApp is considered more "kosher" in many chareidi circles than, say, Facebook or even Instagram.

singleagain

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 4:55 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
I really don't understand the confusion.
Of course many many non-Jews are using WhatsApp. According to my understanding, what she meant was, in her experience, it's mostly the frum Jews who tend to join many WhatsApp groups. I guess she feels the non Jews prefer other platforms to communicate and for social media. Which makes sense- WhatsApp is considered more "kosher" in many chareidi circles than, say, Facebook or even Instagram.

If it's in her experience, then it should be qualified that way. Not stated as though it were undisputed fact.

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 5:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the validation ladies. I'm afraid to mute it for the reason Seeker mentioned. At least now I know I'm not the only one who gets annoyed!

Yes, its annoying, I hear that. But let's be real for a minute. Social media is all about the FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out). Anything that is time sensitive/urgent/official communication should not be sent through whatsapp. Email, one way text message blast by admin of the school/org, or if everyone INSISTS on whatsapp, an admin only posting whatsapp. From what you are describing in your OP, these groups are not posting anything that is so important and so time sensitive that you HAVE to see it within 10 seconds of when its been posted.

amother [ OP ] wrote:
Normal posts for a class whatsapp group would be a question about homework or an upcoming test or a question about scheduling. Iow, general types of questions related to issues of the class. If someone has a specific need, like a ride, I think that's ok to post in the group, too.

None of the things you are mentioning are that important that you must see it immediately. If someone needs a ride and you miss the post, thats ok. If someone has a shabbos ima question, a homework question, is wondering if its a snow day - so what if you see it an hour later? If the teacher is posting on there to give information, its not professional of her to do so in a group where the message can get lost or buried. And if you are the one who posted a question and need to have the answer right away, then its safe to assume you would be checking it frequently even without the beeps to see the replies, right?

What kinds of messages are being posted that you are afraid of missing?

Where I live, Shomrim, the school PTA, etc have admin only whatsapp groups. And PTA also sends out everything via email and text. Its impossible to miss and never time sensitive - just reminders for things. Things like snow days, sudden early dismissals, etc are all sent over various platforms so no one misses it. Yes, there are neighborhood whatsapps and yes, its annoying when someone posts their random things. But mute! And check at your own leisure.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 5:44 am
watergirl wrote:
None of the things you are mentioning are that important that you must see it immediately. If someone needs a ride and you miss the post, thats ok. If someone has a shabbos ima question, a homework question, is wondering if its a snow day - so what if you see it an hour later? If the teacher is posting on there to give information, its not professional of her to do so in a group where the message can get lost or buried. And if you are the one who posted a question and need to have the answer right away, then its safe to assume you would be checking it frequently even without the beeps to see the replies, right?

What kinds of messages are being posted that you are afraid of missing?

Where I live, Shomrim, the school PTA, etc have admin only whatsapp groups. And PTA also sends out everything via email and text. Its impossible to miss and never time sensitive - just reminders for things. Things like snow days, sudden early dismissals, etc are all sent over various platforms so no one misses it. Yes, there are neighborhood whatsapps and yes, its annoying when someone posts their random things. But mute! And check at your own leisure.

Honestly? I'm afraid of finding out at 7pm that dear sweet child has a navi test / science project / book report due tomorrow that said child never bothered to mention (speaking from unfortunate experience) TMI

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 6:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Honestly? I'm afraid of finding out at 7pm that dear sweet child has a navi test / science project / book report due tomorrow that said child never bothered to mention (speaking from unfortunate experience) TMI

Then I would suggest a better communication system. You should not be finding out about these things from a group whatsapp. Make your kid keep a homework book, etc. And if that child wont, then its ok to let them learn the hard way by not being prepared. In any case, you don't need to have the beeps if they annoy you. You should also not be a slave to your phone for fear of missing something. You need a better system.

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 8:01 am
Duplicate

Last edited by Sunny Days on Tue, Nov 12 2019, 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 8:01 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Um, there are plenty schools/classes that don’t have WhatsApp groups posting homework ....

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 4:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
this is why children should have homework pads (or whatever they use where your kids go to school).
If teachers are telling parents what their kids have for homework very night on whatsapp, that is NOT a good way of doing it at all.

shanie5

Post Sat, Nov 16 2019, 6:23 pm
DrMom wrote:

Srsly?

While I know this is true, the only non jews I know on whatsapp are 1 who joined for my messages and im the only one who sends her messages via whattsapp. And a 2nd used it for when their dd was overseas for a year.

Every other non-jew I mention whattsapp to (and there have been many) have looked at me like im an alien. While every jewish person I know may not have whattsapp but has at least heard of it.

So I can understand why someone may think it's only a jewish thing.

singleagain

Post Sat, Nov 16 2019, 7:43 pm
I just read the new shopaholic book and WhatsApp was part of the story . So it's gotta be known
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette