Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Headstart

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 11:23 am
My daughter just transferred from a nursery class to a head-start class.
The school is asking for a $1350 supplies fee, assumingly instead of tuition.

Someone working in the Headstart program told me that I should not be paying anything.

Anyone knowledgeable?

(They also have to bring snack for the class once a month, which is very annoying for me as my daughter has a hard time carrying a bulky shopping bag.)

amother
Green

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 12:17 pm
Very weird!
Do you have to be income eligible for this head start class? It's supposed to be free.
Find out what the money's for!! Certainly not supplies(that would be a huge amonut!!)
Do they have a supplemental program gor limudei kodesh that you're paying for? Extra babysitting before or after?

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 12:27 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Very weird!
Do you have to be income eligible for this head start class? It's supposed to be free.
Find out what the money's for!! Certainly not supplies(that would be a huge amonut!!)
Do they have a supplemental program gor limudei kodesh that you're paying for? Extra babysitting before or after?

By definition, you have to be income eligible for Head Start. Its a program to improve the school readiness of low-income children through education, health and nutritional services. No fees. I doubt they can even require the kids to bring a snack, given the nutritional element and goal.

For a family of 4, the maximum income for eligibility for Head Start is $25,750. I hardly think that it would be acceptable to demand $1350 for supplies at that income level.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 1:23 pm
OP here.
I work PT and my income is about 24k-25k a year (which they told me is exact borderline).
My husband lost his job and is attempting to open his own business.

Family of 3.

She's in a headstart thru a local Bais Yakov. I didn't question the $1350 because I didn't know to, and also I was happy to be given the huge tuition cut (from $6300 down to $1350), so I just set up payments for $135 a month for 10 months.
I believe tuition is important, and am willing to pay $135 a month as I feel like it's a bargain, esp coming from $630 but I don't want to pay it if I'm not supposed to.

I called the school to ask and so far didn't receive a callback. Want to be more knowledgeable before calling again.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 1:42 pm
Program from govt is supposed to be free.
They get paid about $13,000 per head enrolled, per year.
That is supposed to cover teacher, toys, art supplies, trips, books, furniture, mommy workshops etc.
Some frum programs will still charge the parents some tuition.
It's chutzpah, but don't know if you can fight city hall.
Only thing program doesn't cover is transportation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics