Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Sense of smell

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 11:12 pm
My teenage daughter has no sense of smell
Can anyone recommend a doctor or have information about this?

Thank you

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 12:18 am
Following.

I have a dd who also doesnt.

I went to drs years ago and they said it cant be helped.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 12:47 pm
Any update?

Is there a cure for people with no sense of smell?

amother
Green

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 12:59 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Any update?

Is there a cure for people with no sense of smell?
Is this new or old? I've read that anosmia can be a symptom of brain inflammation from chronic infections like lyme and such

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 1:05 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Is this new or old? I've read that anosmia can be a symptom of brain inflammation from chronic infections like lyme and such

Its old in my dd's case. She's in her 20s and says she never smelled anything, and it bothers her terribly.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 3:13 pm
My daughters 16 year old

She also never remembers smelling anything
She said in preschool when learning the five senses she had no idea what the teachers talking about

ectomorph

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 3:17 pm
Diaper changing won't bother her ! I actually think it's an advantage!

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 3:23 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Diaper changing won't bother her ! I actually think it's an advantage!

Neither will she know if her child's diaper is dirty without a visual check... My main concern would be safety, like knowing when a pot was forgotten on the fire, or when food smells spoiled.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 3:30 pm
Getting back to practicality, is this something that if one is born with, theres nothing any doctor can do to remedy it?

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 5:23 pm
I've heard of adults with it, so my guess is no.

It does also affect the sense of taste, unfortunately. A lot of what we taste is based on smell.

A Rabbi who had it lived in New Orleans, and it was MUCH easier for him to be around for the rebuilding after Katrina, because he didn't smell anything! (Never makes a bracha on Besamim at Havdalah.) His wife, on the other hand...

ETA: There is something called smell training, but it's usually used for those who LOST their sense of smell. However, it can't hurt to try it at home! Use VERY strong smelling scents, like essential oils, and practice trying to differentiate them by smell alone.

Quote:

from http://www.fifthsense.org.uk/smell-training/

I suffer from anosmia or hyposmia – how do I try smell training?

What you need:

Four different essential oils. Lemon, rose, clove and eucalyptus are the four smells used in many of the published research studies. You can obtain them online or from aromatherapy stores
Four empty glass jars with lids, or cotton pads, or fragrance strips
If using jars, pour some of the essential oil into the jar. Keep the lid screwed on in between training sessions. The jar method is the one used in existing studies, the physics behind it is to allow an airspace over the liquid for odour vapour to build up and improve availability of volatile odour molecules. Using cotton pads or fragrance strips is fine too. If you are using jars then you can ignore the first two steps below.

1 – Pour a few droplets of one of the oils on to a testing stick or pad

2 – Do not try to sniff the stick/pad immediately; leave it for a few minutes for the fragrance to develop

3 – Hold the first jar, pad or fragrance strip up to your nose, about an inch away. The order in which you smell the oils does not matter

4 – Relax and try to inhale naturally through the nose – sniffing too quickly and deeply is likely to result in you not being able to detect anything

5 – Try this a couple more times, then rest for five minutes

6 – Move on to the next smell and repeat as above.

Tips

Smell train at least twice every day, ideally morning and evening
Relax and inhale naturally
Don’t sniff too hard or for too long…10 seconds for each smell is enough
Try smelling other things too…spices in the cupboard, flowers in the garden, fragrances…anything that is safe to smell!
…And try to stick with it. If you cannot smell anything at first then do not be disheartened. Everyone is different, and we’ve heard from people who have tried this process themselves and have experienced varying degrees of success. For some people it can take weeks or even longer before they detect anything, and some people may not get any benefit from it at all, but it is worth trying.
Just remember that the studies we have talked about here have shown that the sense of smell can change and recover, and that it can be trained and developed with exposure to odours, as expert perfumers will testify. Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 5:25 pm
Not sure. I'm going to check further into it
My daughter said she wouldn't do surgery even if there was a way of correcting it.
But I wonder if she really wouldnt.
Interestingly she's a great cook and baker and she will want a dog anyway so that should help for safety purposes(fire/smoke)....
I think it bothers me more than it bothers her

dankbar

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 4:39 am
A sudden loss of smell could be from sinus issues, which can be returned when problem is resolved

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 6:03 am
dankbar wrote:
A sudden loss of smell could be from sinus issues, which can be returned when problem is resolved

No.
I'm talking about someone who was NEVER able to smell!!

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 6:25 am
My dad has never had a sense of smell. It really doesn't interfere with his everyday life.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics