Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why can't you say hello to the old lady on your block?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 1:44 pm
Why can't we as Jewish people who are know about "sever panim yafos" say helllo to an

older woman in the neighborhood, Jew or non-Jew?

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 1:45 pm
Who says we don’t?

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 1:47 pm
This is totally my pet peeve! I believe in smiling and saying hello to every single person I meet. It does make me an oddball though. Smile

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 1:51 pm
There's an old lady on my block that sits out alot, everyone smiles to her and says hello. Most people do greet the elderly, if they don't I'm assuming they're rushing, on the phone, or didn't see the person.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 1:51 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
This is totally my pet peeve! I believe in smiling and saying hello to every single person I meet. It does make me an oddball though. Smile

As a person with severe social anxiety, I find it hard to go outside because of that.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 1:58 pm
Because she might really be a man.
It today's environment, you can't be sure. LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

For all those who cannot tell. I am not being serious. After some of the other threads, I feel the need to state my intentions clearly, leaving no ambiguity or room for assumptions.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 2:07 pm
I’ve always done that . Who doesn’t say hello? Actually, my first neighborhood “friend” was an elderly non frum woman (who I thought wasn’t Jewish, until she told-me that she was) who’d walk her dog every morning while my kids waited for the bus. Before she moved away to a senior living facility she said that I could take her patio set which was almost new. She said she initially planned to sell it because it was expensive and in such great condition. But she decided she’d give it to me since I was such a good neighbor and she knows I would take good care of it.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 2:08 pm
you can!

Chayalle

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 2:09 pm
I say hello to any old lady on my block that I pass, etc...

However, I don't have time for visits (wish I did). I work several hours a day, I have kids that need supper and laundry and h.w. help and my DH needs attention too. I'm just maxed out during the week.

I have visited (nursing home) on Shabbos, but I just can't manage weekday visits at this time.

STMommy

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 2:19 pm
I love chatting with the (non-Jewish) old lady on my block.

Zehava

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 2:22 pm
Because I don’t smile nor say hello to random strangers
If I see someone I only know a little I try to sneak past so I won’t have to smile nor say hello
Introverts with social anxiety be like that

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 2:31 pm
OP, are you the little old lady whom nobody greets?

southernbubby

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 2:41 pm
Interesting story:

I had a layover at Charles Degaul airport and there were 2 other women there. One of them spoke with me a lot and the other just glared at me and I thought maybe she was Muslim but not wearing a burka.
During the flight, I heard a commotion behind me. It was the supposed Muslim and she wanted the empty seat next to me. It was my moment of Truth until the woman introduced herself as a Jew who was trying to become frum and was flying to Israel for her son's wedding. She just wanted to be included! Always say hello!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics