Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Appropriate consequence please?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 6:25 pm
For a preteen/teen purposely hitting/kicking/pinching/twisting arm of a younger sibling because they teased or annoyed him.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 6:30 pm
*he should do something nice for the sib he hurt, perhaps a chore, or give him something.
*he should write a full apology note.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 6:34 pm
Is the consequence for the younger sibling that older sibling is hitting/kicking/pinching/twisting arm him?

small bean

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 6:38 pm
I think you need to talk to him when he's calm about tuning into himself. Consequences won't help ar this point. We behave this way, when either were a crazy person due to hormones or when we feel we lost control or our ego was hurt. Its important to give your child the tools to deal with those feelings and then in a situation, remind him on whatever way you decide together and he will take the steps you discussed to calm him down.

In the moment, once he lost control, I would have him go to this room.

In my house doing this really worked.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 6:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
For a preteen/teen purposely hitting/kicking/pinching/twisting arm of a younger sibling because they teased or annoyed him.

I’d take something away that they enjoy, either being grounded, not allowed to watch videos/taking away some privilege.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 8:02 pm
I would not take away privileges. That will only cause more anger.

Fighting between siblings is part of growing up. I would just talk with them about what happened and what should have happened, and how he should have handled the situation without hurting.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 8:41 pm
Was he being teased about something he's especially sensitive about? If so, I would talk to him about his reaction but not impose any consequences.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics