Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Seminaries : Meohr and Bnos Chava
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 6:28 pm
What can you tell me about Meohr and Bnos Chava nowadays, and how do they compare? Thanx

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 6:19 am
Anyone?

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 8:15 am
I think they're similar. I know a lot of girls who applied to both. My cousin was in Meohr last year, and her and her group of friends had a whole group of friends in BC.
I was in BC 5 years ago, but it changed a lot. But even in my year, there were a bunch of girls who had applied to both.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 10:48 am
I don't know why, but it seems like BC changed and this past year alot of girls - including those with older sisters who went - didn't go. I know someone who only got into BC of the seminaries she applied to, and was told by her Rav not to go. She ended up going to a local seminary.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 9:56 pm
Thanx.. anyone else?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 10:00 pm
What type of girls go? What is the staff like? How about the classes? Where do the girls go from there? Hashkafa? Do the girls grow Frummer?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 8:09 pm
Anyone?

TravelHearter

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 4:29 am
I was in Meohr’s Shana Bais program, so I can tell you both the insider and outsider perspective.
It’s very warm, and the staff is very caring. Each staff member is handpicked and they have a lot to offer; additionally, Meohr greatly encourages relationships with teachers and the teachers always make time to talk to the girls. The place feels like home, has great food, and even some exercise machines, yoga mats and weights. Staying in for shabbos was always nice and chilled, and there was always a staff family there for shabbos so girls could get to know them on a personal level.
It is a big crowd, so it can be overwhelming if a girl is from a small class, but the advantage is is that there is a wide spectrum of girls- there are out of towners, in towners, more yeshivish, more chilled, etc. there are always going to be cliquey girls in every sem, but after a little you find your niche. Hashkafa wise, nothing is pushed down their throats; rather, they encourage the girls to grow at their own pace, even offering a Shana bet program with a college degree. It isn’t academic at all, and has the typical busy work most sems have.
Let me know if you have any other questions!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 6:57 am
Thanx so much! Where you there first year of seminary also?Are the girls going to Meohr girls who cover their knees, don’t wear leggings, solid girls, without boyfriends? If my daughter doesn’t have designer clothes will she feel the peer pressure? Do they come back growth oriented? Anyone know about Bnos chava nowadays?How do they compare?

TravelHearter

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 11:07 am
Meohr does have solid girls who cover their knees etc but they do take in a variety of girls- so some girls their skirts would be iffy etc but as a whole everyone grows and gets better that way. Also, besides for the couple of sketchy girls that might come, no one has boyfriends. As a general rule, the girls are not specifically yeshivish (Lakewood yeshivish), but aren’t bad girls. There are randomly going to be a couple of exceptions to that rule, but BC will have the same. I did not go to meohr for the first year, I went to Bnos Avigail.
BC has been a certain type over the past few years but I’ve heard how they’re trying to change that so I can’t tell you the current crowd.

TravelHearter

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 11:09 am
Also, Meohr girls really do come back growth oriented, each in their own way. And as for designer labels, there are the girls who care, but sem is about making the true friends that don’t care- most girls wouldn’t be that snobby.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 11:14 pm
Thanx. Anyone know about Bnos chava nowadays?

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 11:20 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
I don't know why, but it seems like BC changed and this past year alot of girls - including those with older sisters who went - didn't go. I know someone who only got into BC of the seminaries she applied to, and was told by her Rav not to go. She ended up going to a local seminary.

I know it's off-topic, but I wonder what kind of verified information the Rav could have received to make such a decision for someone else.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 11:34 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
I know it's off-topic, but I wonder what kind of verified information the Rav could have received to make such a decision for someone else.

I think it's well within the scope of a rabbi who knows a girl and her family to make a specific recommendation as to schooling. I don't think it has any relevance to this thread, though, since I would imagine it's an individual recommendation.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 11:02 pm
Anyone know about Bnos chava nowadays?

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 11:22 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
I think it's well within the scope of a rabbi who knows a girl and her family to make a specific recommendation as to schooling. I don't think it has any relevance to this thread, though, since I would imagine it's an individual recommendation.

I don't think it was so individual. They called their Rav in the first place because of things they heard. Of relevance is that in this girl's graduating class, no one is in BC this year. In previous years they had quite a presence there - sometimes more than 10 students went. It looks like the crowd has changed.

funkyfrum

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 3:53 pm
It sounds like the descriptions of Meohr are accurate.
Bnos Chava is known to be more exclusive, in town and yeshivish.

TravelHearter

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 4:40 pm
[Bnos Chava is known to be more exclusive, in town and yeshivish. quote]
I wouldn’t say it’s specifically yeshivish.. it really depends how you use the term. No way would girls applying to Bnos Sarah or chemdas (or mesores Rochel even) would apply

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 6:59 am
Bump, anyone else? Anyone know what types are going next year? I want classy, solid frum girls, looking to grow, more but not over the top fancy..and

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 7:00 am
Staff that truly is there for the girls. What’s the difference in size?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics