Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Would you take teenaged son to football game?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 6:56 pm
DH is a huge sports fan and got me into it as well. We loved attending games when we have time. Great kosher outing.

But....the cheerleaders. Sad

DH is a mature adult and just looks the other way. But it's hard to tell a kid to do that, especially if they are raised to be careful with shmiras ainnayim and knowing they should not be looking at scantily clad, dancing women.

This is theoretical discussion, as we don't have any big enough kids.
What do you think?

Cheiny

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 7:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
DH is a huge sports fan and got me into it as well. We loved attending games when we have time. Great kosher outing.

But....the cheerleaders. Sad

DH is a mature adult and just looks the other way. But it's hard to tell a kid to do that, especially if they are raised to be careful with shmiras ainnayim and knowing they should not be looking at scantily clad, dancing women.

This is theoretical discussion, as we don't have any big enough kids.
What do you think?

I have the same issue but I let mine go because you can’t lock them up, deprive them of something they love (which in and of itself, the love of sports, isn’t harmful) and they need a healthy outlet, especially considering their long hours in Yeshiva. As far as the lack of tznius, I feel it’s something that they should be taught how to properly handle, just as they have to watch their eyes in the street, especially in the summer!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 7:08 pm
Cheiny wrote:
I have the same issue but I let mine go because you can’t lock them up, deprive them of something they love (which in and of itself, the love of sports, isn’t harmful) and they need a healthy outlet, especially considering their long hours in Yeshiva. As far as the lack of tznius, I feel it’s something that they should be taught how to properly handle, just as they have to watch their eyes in the street, especially in the summer!

I agree with you that it's something they should be taught to handle, and that yes you see pritzus just walking in the street and it's unavoidable and they just need to learn to watch their eyes...

But it's more of a question of whether it would be wrong for us as parents who believe in shmiras ainnayim to consciously take their children somewhere where they are essentially staring at half dressed women for 2 hours....and expect them to watch their eyes....

Do I make sense?

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 7:12 pm
Well, I wouldn't, because I hate the cold.

But if he's already watching on TV, I don't see the difference. In fact, unless you have really good seats, it would be difficult to see the cheerleaders in any detail, except when they're on the jumbotron.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 7:16 pm
DON'T GO ANYWHERE YOU DON'T WANT YOUR KIDS GOING! Shmiras anayim applies to everyone, not just to teenagers.
אל תאמין בעצמך עד יום מותך.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 7:18 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Well, I wouldn't, because I hate the cold.

But if he's already watching on TV, I don't see the difference. In fact, unless you have really good seats, it would be difficult to see the cheerleaders in any detail, except when they're on the jumbotron.

This discussion includes basketball games, they have cheerleaders too.
And the difference is on TV or the computer, they don't zoom in on the cheerleaders, you barely see them.

At the game we attended the other night in Madison Square Garden, the cheerleaders were quite visible, plus they performed by the pre-game and halftime show. DH went to get us drinks then. Smile

cnc

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 7:19 pm
No I would not take my teenage sons.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 7:19 pm
The violent nature of football bothers me more than the cheerleaders. That would be my reason for not taking him to games.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 7:26 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
The violent nature of football bothers me more than the cheerleaders. That would be my reason for not taking him to games.

Lol I used to think it was insanely violent too, now I just see it as a professional sport. The players are extremely talented.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 7:33 pm
That’s when you go to the bathroom and get drinks. I don’t see the big deal.

egam

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 7:41 pm
Go to a hockey game. No cheerleaders.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 11:57 pm
We take our kids to baseball games occasionally - no cheerleaders.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 9:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Lol I used to think it was insanely violent too, now I just see it as a professional sport. The players are extremely talented.

Read Gordon Korman's Pop.

I'm going to stay out of the cheerleader discussion. That would be enough for me but I hear what some of you are staying, and wonder what one sees in the bleachers anyway. (And it's cold enough that only the cheerleaders are likely to be underdressed.)

Though ETA: Watergirl did bring up the Megatron. Forgot about that.

Last edited by PinkFridge on Fri, Nov 15 2019, 9:04 am; edited 2 times in total

watergirl

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 9:02 am
How close are the seats that you can actually see the cheerleaders? Your son can look away from the megatron and you can take a walk during halftime.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 9:17 am
Cheiny wrote:

💯%
If a bocher has no interest, then there is no need to introduce it but once they do express a need for this outlet, you have more to lose than to gain by making it treif.
As far as the cold, there is a whole industry for cold weather sports.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 9:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It doesn't have to be either or. It's both.
I have teenage boys that are fanatical football fans. Football players are tremendous athletes who play an incredibly violent sport. Many of the retired players in their 50's are suing because they have brain injuries and have trouble remembering their names or counting to 10.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 9:41 am
watergirl wrote:
How close are the seats that you can actually see the cheerleaders? Your son can look away from the megatron and you can take a walk during halftime.

I thought so too, until I actually went to a basketball game, where we did not have good seats at all-quite high up. You can still see, especially since they have screens with blow up what's happening on the floor. How do you think you see the players if you have a high up seat?

My question was whether is reasonable/fair/makes sense to bring a child and tell him to look away. This can apply to any kid old enough to get it, from age 8/9 and up.

Again, all theoretical, as I only have one baby girl right now. Was just thinking about it.

shmosmom

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 10:52 am
You can't take a boy that's a football fan to a baseball game. It's not the same thing!
Although after seeing this (link below) I'm going to try promoting baseball or hockey instead.
Lucky I'm already a hockey fan Smile
https://youtu.be/eef-l5pcEIk

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 11:01 am
shmosmom wrote:
You can't take a boy that's a football fan to a baseball game. It's not the same thing!
Although after seeing this (link below) I'm going to try promoting baseball or hockey instead.
Lucky I'm already a hockey fan Smile
https://youtu.be/eef-l5pcEIk

Insannity!! Have you ever seen such a thing in professional sports??!?!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 11:09 am
Op, what are you trying to get out of this? Your question is a basic hashkafa question.

Many people on this site would have no problem allowing their boys to attend sporting events with cheerleaders. Many people on this site would not allow it.

There's no right answer to this.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics