Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Status of a tinok shenishba raised in another religion

meyerlemon44

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 10:09 am
Does anyone know what the status is of such a person? Would a male from this background count in a minyan?

I imagine this must be a somewhat common situation, but I've always heard the concept of a tinok shenishba discussed in the context of someone raised in a home with Jewish background but no religion, as opposed to practicing a different religion.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I should have clarified that the person I’m thinking of (friend’s husband) still believes in the brand of Xtianity he was brought up in, though he isn’t so active in it.

Last edited by meyerlemon44 on Fri, Nov 15 2019, 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ruchel

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 11:07 am
He's Jewish, so yes

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 11:10 am
meyerlemon44 wrote:
Does anyone know what the status is of such a person? Would a male from this background count in a minyan?

I imagine this must be a somewhat common situation, but I've always heard the concept of a tinok shenishba discussed in the context of someone raised in a home with Jewish background but no religion, as opposed to practicing a different religion.

Thanks in advance!

Is the person currently practicing the other religion?

I can't answer the minyan question, but a friend has a similar background, except that her non-Jewish parent had her baptized as a child. When she decided to make aliyah as an adult, a Chabad rabbi wrote a letter for her stating that she was in fact Jewish, and thereby entitled to make aliay.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 11:13 am
meyerlemon44 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

He's Jewish.

Tinok shenishba isn't relevant to counting in a minyan.

meyerlemon44

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 12:43 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Is the person currently practicing the other religion?

I can't answer the minyan question, but a friend has a similar background, except that her non-Jewish parent had her baptized as a child. When she decided to make aliyah as an adult, a Chabad rabbi wrote a letter for her stating that she was in fact Jewish, and thereby entitled to make aliay.

I should have clarified in my OP that the person I’m thinking of (friend’s husband) still believes in the brand of Xtianity he was brought up in, though he isn’t so active in it.

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 12:45 pm
There are ppl who hold ( think) that you need to be frum or something

meyerlemon44

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 12:47 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
There are ppl who hold ( think) that you need to be frum or something

To get an aliyah?

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 12:49 pm
meyerlemon44 wrote:
To get an aliyah?

For minyan

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 1:21 pm
I'm not sure he counts in a minyan as a kofer. You need to ask a rabbi. Dh was at shul with a friend who is no longer Shomer Shabbos though he has a yeshiva education. As a guest at our shul, he was offered an aliya during Kri'as HaTorah. He politely declined saying he can't be oleh as he doesn't keep Shabbos. I don't know the exact Halacha and can't base it on my little story, just putting this out there so you know you have to ask (imamother doesn't count).

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 1:24 pm
aylor

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 1:39 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
aylor

This.

AFAIK, a non shomer Shabbos person counts in a minyan and can be called to the Torah.

But this guy practices a whole different religion.

How desperate is your DH to need this guy for a minyan?

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 2:58 pm
I don't know about a minyan and this is probably very case defendant but there are cases where someone who was born Jewish must go in the Mikva if they have been raised in another religion or practiced it for a long time.

BetsyTacy

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 3:26 pm
I think it has to do with reciting the torah brachos. You are asking someone to acknowledge that Hashem has chosen us (him included) and given us the Torah--the Torah of Truth--this by someone who does not acknowledge the Torah as truth?

Definitely ask a rabbi--it is not a black and white answer that it is an ideal situtation to have ideologically non practicing Jews (let alone one who perceives himself to be of a different religion) to say the Torah brachos.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Nov 16 2019, 12:12 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
I don't know about a minyan and this is probably very case defendant but there are cases where someone who was born Jewish must go in the Mikva if they have been raised in another religion or practiced it for a long time.

My mother was Jewish, but was raised atheist. She converted to Xianity to marry my Xian father. I was raised Xian, but I never believed in the NT part of the Bible. I always loved every word of the original, but the JC part left me cold and confused.

I needed a gerus l'chumra to be accepted as Jewish, and I had to study 2+ years in kollel and get several rabbi's letters of recommendation.

I am not a rabbi, but as far as I know a Jewish man who is practicing Xianity cannot be a witness or a dayan, so that makes things complicated. Whether or not this carries over to minyan is something for a more educated person to decide.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions