Home

Status of a tinok shenishba raised in another religion

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


meyerlemon44




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Nov 15 2019, 10:09 am
Does anyone know what the status is of such a person? Would a male from this background count in a minyan?

I imagine this must be a somewhat common situation, but I've always heard the concept of a tinok shenishba discussed in the context of someone raised in a home with Jewish background but no religion, as opposed to practicing a different religion.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I should have clarified that the person I’m thinking of (friend’s husband) still believes in the brand of Xtianity he was brought up in, though he isn’t so active in it.


Last edited by meyerlemon44 on Fri, Nov 15 2019, 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

Ruchel




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Nov 15 2019, 11:07 am
He's Jewish, so yes
Back to top

amother




Natural
 

Post  Fri, Nov 15 2019, 11:10 am
meyerlemon44 wrote:
Does anyone know what the status is of such a person? Would a male from this background count in a minyan?

I imagine this must be a somewhat common situation, but I've always heard the concept of a tinok shenishba discussed in the context of someone raised in a home with Jewish background but no religion, as opposed to practicing a different religion.

Thanks in advance!


Is the person currently practicing the other religion?

I can't answer the minyan question, but a friend has a similar background, except that her non-Jewish parent had her baptized as a child. When she decided to make aliyah as an adult, a Chabad rabbi wrote a letter for her stating that she was in fact Jewish, and thereby entitled to make aliay.
Back to top

amother




Turquoise
 

Post  Fri, Nov 15 2019, 11:13 am
meyerlemon44 wrote:
Does anyone know what the status is of such a person? Would a male from this background count in a minyan?

I imagine this must be a somewhat common situation, but I've always heard the concept of a tinok shenishba discussed in the context of someone raised in a home with Jewish background but no religion, as opposed to practicing a different religion.

Thanks in advance!


He's Jewish.

Tinok shenishba isn't relevant to counting in a minyan.
Back to top

meyerlemon44




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Nov 15 2019, 12:43 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Is the person currently practicing the other religion?

I can't answer the minyan question, but a friend has a similar background, except that her non-Jewish parent had her baptized as a child. When she decided to make aliyah as an adult, a Chabad rabbi wrote a letter for her stating that she was in fact Jewish, and thereby entitled to make aliay.


I should have clarified in my OP that the person I’m thinking of (friend’s husband) still believes in the brand of Xtianity he was brought up in, though he isn’t so active in it.
Back to top

amother




Lilac
 

Post  Fri, Nov 15 2019, 12:45 pm
There are ppl who hold ( think) that you need to be frum or something
Back to top

meyerlemon44




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Nov 15 2019, 12:47 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
There are ppl who hold ( think) that you need to be frum or something

To get an aliyah?
Back to top

amother




Lilac
 

Post  Fri, Nov 15 2019, 12:49 pm
meyerlemon44 wrote:
To get an aliyah?


For minyan
Back to top

amother




Dodgerblue
 

Post  Fri, Nov 15 2019, 1:21 pm
I'm not sure he counts in a minyan as a kofer. You need to ask a rabbi. Dh was at shul with a friend who is no longer Shomer Shabbos though he has a yeshiva education. As a guest at our shul, he was offered an aliya during Kri'as HaTorah. He politely declined saying he can't be oleh as he doesn't keep Shabbos. I don't know the exact Halacha and can't base it on my little story, just putting this out there so you know you have to ask (imamother doesn't count).
Back to top

amother




Lime
 

Post  Fri, Nov 15 2019, 1:24 pm
aylor
Back to top

SixOfWands




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Nov 15 2019, 1:39 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
aylor


This.

AFAIK, a non shomer Shabbos person counts in a minyan and can be called to the Torah.

But this guy practices a whole different religion.

How desperate is your DH to need this guy for a minyan?
Back to top

amother




Cerulean
 

Post  Fri, Nov 15 2019, 2:58 pm
I don't know about a minyan and this is probably very case defendant but there are cases where someone who was born Jewish must go in the Mikva if they have been raised in another religion or practiced it for a long time.
Back to top

BetsyTacy




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Nov 15 2019, 3:26 pm
I think it has to do with reciting the torah brachos. You are asking someone to acknowledge that Hashem has chosen us (him included) and given us the Torah--the Torah of Truth--this by someone who does not acknowledge the Torah as truth?

Definitely ask a rabbi--it is not a black and white answer that it is an ideal situtation to have ideologically non practicing Jews (let alone one who perceives himself to be of a different religion) to say the Torah brachos.
Back to top

FranticFrummie




 
 
 
 

Post  Sat, Nov 16 2019, 12:12 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
I don't know about a minyan and this is probably very case defendant but there are cases where someone who was born Jewish must go in the Mikva if they have been raised in another religion or practiced it for a long time.


My mother was Jewish, but was raised atheist. She converted to Xianity to marry my Xian father. I was raised Xian, but I never believed in the NT part of the Bible. I always loved every word of the original, but the JC part left me cold and confused.

I needed a gerus l'chumra to be accepted as Jewish, and I had to study 2+ years in kollel and get several rabbi's letters of recommendation.

I am not a rabbi, but as far as I know a Jewish man who is practicing Xianity cannot be a witness or a dayan, so that makes things complicated. Whether or not this carries over to minyan is something for a more educated person to decide.
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions

Related Topics Replies Last Post
NJ Unemployment status: We do not have a claim on file.
by amother
6 Yesterday at 3:40 pm View last post
Yet ANOTHER unemployment thread
by amother
3 Sat, May 30 2020, 11:30 pm View last post
Another Week With No End In Sight In New York
by amother
5 Sat, May 23 2020, 11:44 pm View last post
Another attack on democracy
by simcha2
21 Sat, May 16 2020, 2:06 pm View last post
Another unemployment question: NY
by amother
10 Fri, May 15 2020, 12:08 pm View last post

Jump to: