Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Staying on top of household duties

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 10:25 am
Anyone have ideas staying on top of the house and kids and making shabbos etc?

I feel like I am spending all my free time cooking and cleaning I wonder if there are ways to be more organized

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 10:56 am
I keep checklists of what I have to do that day and in the order that I have to do them. It's SOSOSOSO satisfying to cross things off!

zaq

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 11:01 am
Checklists help keep you on track. I shamelessly borrowed from others. There were lists for everything: things to check just before Shabbos (kosher lamps on? fridge light off?), before Pesach (to finish: three packages of lokshen, half a bottle of schnapps; one box of cookies--that's a joke, it would never last long enough to need to be on a list) to clean: backpacks, drawers, oven; to wash: tablecloths), daily (backpack ready? lunch made? clothes laid out? work ID and farecard?) yadda yadda yadda.

I figured out how often I wanted or needed to do certain tasks and added them to the daily checklist on the day I planned to do them.

I learned to plan out my activities. For errands, I'd plan out the exact route (cleaners--pick up or drop off; letterbox--mail letters; yeshiva--drop off tuition check; shul--drop off shaimos; supermarket; bakery; produce stand and so on) so that I didn't have to double back.

When cooking or baking, make double or triple (or more) and freeze. My neighbor told me how she managed to serve four--count 'em, four--homemade cakes every Shabbos: Each week she baked one cake, cut it into four pieces, and froze three of them. The next week she did the same with a different type of cake. After four weeks she had her full array, but each week she baked only one type of cake. Is that brilliant or what? You could do something similar with supper main dishes.

Work does expands to fill the time allotted, though. As they say, if you want something done, ask a busy person. The more you have to do, the faster you work.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 11:03 am
If the kids are old enough, make a chore chart.
Are you spending too much time shopping? What about a master list and delivery?
Are you able to get cleaning help?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics