Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Machine wash down blanket on delicates, handwash setting?

maze

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 12:47 pm
Can I machine wash a down blanket on the handwash or delicate setting? Can I put it in the dryer on low? Or do I have to dry clean it?

challahchallah

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 12:52 pm
Depends on the blanket. Does it have a tag? How attached are you if something goes wrong? I have a few down blankets that I’ve machine washed many times without incident. The key to getting them fluffy again is to put dryer balls in the dryer with them.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 12:57 pm
Follow the tag. And use clean tennis balls in the dryer to fluff it back up.

Amarante

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 1:22 pm
You can definitely wash a down comforter unless there is something on the tag that specifically advises against it.

However, the issue is really drying it properly. You want to make certain that the down stuffing is completely dry or else you can start mold or mildew growing inside. As ra_mom posted, you should use tennis balls in the dryer so that the down is effectively aerated while drying. I actually bought some "balls" on amazon that look like tennis balls but aren't - since I don't play tennis, it was just as easy for me to get the balls that were specifically designed to use in a dryer.

I actually use them in the dryer for lots of stuff because they are a natural fabric softener.

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-S.....ydWU=

WHAT'S INCLUDED:

Set of 6 Original Smart Sheep 100% Premium New Zealand Wool Dryer Balls (no fillers, don't settle for knock-offs, we strive to stay ahead of competition by offering exceptional quality and customer service) Felted in Nepal by women and minorities paid a strong living wage.

AWARD WINNING: Winner of the 2019 "Best of the Best" product awards by Hearst Media.

SOFTENS LAUNDRY NATURALLY: No Chemicals or Synthetics Used (great for those with sensitive skin & babies)
SHORTENS DRY TIME: Saves time, money and energy! (use 3 balls for small/med load, 5-6 for large)

ECO-FRIENDLY: Lasts for a Thousand-Plus Loads, Replaces Dryer Sheets & Liquid Fabric Softeners, Reduces Garbage Waste. (A healthy, petroleum-free alternative to plastic dryer steamer balls)

maze

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 5:12 pm
The tag instructions have faded.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 17 2019, 5:55 pm
Here are some good instructions.
https://www.thespruce.com/how-.....50482
Though I find that my delicate cycle leaves things too wet and hand wash seems better for my delicates.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry