Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Chasidishe scarf tie
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 8:43 pm
I had a bang when I got married (over 40 years ago)... I wonder if I threw it out...
I get most of my scarves from China for under $1, from Kohls or Lands End for under $10.

I have a couple of silks but they slide way too much...

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 9:52 pm
ali express has beautiful silk scarves for great prices the problem with these scarves colors go out of style

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 10:09 pm
It is making me so happy to see all of the love and support for Jewish sisters of all stripes in this thread!

Seafoam, thank you for posting a picture of your gear. Do you wear ALL of that under your tichel at one time? I can’t even identify all of it!

I am still unclear on how to “gebind” the tichel. You use pins, right? How do you fold/tie it?

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 10:11 pm
I found cotton caps on ebay for about a dollar. Of course if you need some height you might want to use a shaper. (I use hair...)

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 10:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It is making me so happy to see all of the love and support for Jewish sisters of all stripes in this thread!

Seafoam, thank you for posting a picture of your gear. Do you wear ALL of that under your tichel at one time? I can’t even identify all of it!

I am still unclear on how to “gebind” the tichel. You use pins, right? How do you fold/tie it?

I will let the others chime in,

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 11:22 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Shpitzel yourself ?
Nope. Tapered back.

amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Salut

(You happen to know me. )

I keep picturing you with a BLONDE shpitzel. too funny!

amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
No, Mama Bear does not wear a shpitzel.
Mama Bear, I actually think we are mechatunim......... Sorry, but you are not particularly secretive about hiding your identity here.

I'm not hiding my identity as Mama Bear. If I were amother, I'd be upset to be 'outed'. But hello, Mama Bear isn't a secret.

But you're hiding your identity! No problem Very Happy. "we are mechatunim" can be from so many different sides of the family that it's vague. Hi anyway!

About ebay, I was just kidding Very Happy

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 12:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I wear a shpitzel, a liner on top and then an opened up turban (remove all thread that makes it a turban shape) that’s used as a form that I can adjust according to my head shape. Only then do we start with the scarf. Yes it’s verrry hot in the summer but we do get a bit of padding for the winter. I’m trying to think how to even explain the tying process.

Mama bear, lol. Not a blonde though.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 1:03 am
I wear a shpitzel, a liner on top and then an opened up turban (remove all thread that makes it a turban shape) that’s used as a form that I can adjust according to my head shape. Only then do we start with the scarf. Yes it’s verrry hot in the summer but we do get a bit of padding for the winter. I’m trying to think how to even explain the tying process.

Do you bind up or down?

honeymoon

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 1:05 am
I must say I'm finding this thread fascinating and I'm enjoying each post. I always wondered what goes on beneath the scarf but never had whom to ask!

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 1:13 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Do you bind up or down?

Up.

Honeymoon, these three are the basics. Some add additional padding if they have a very small or narrow head. I can only imagine how fascinating it is to outsiders. .

I’ve done my fair share of teaching Kallahs but I don’t think it will go over well just from a written post. It needs to be demonstrated.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 1:22 am
Up.

Honeymoon, these three are the basics. Some add additional padding if they have a very small or narrow head. I can only imagine how fascinating it is to outsiders. .

I’ve done my fair share of teaching Kallahs but I don’t think it will go over well just from a written post. It needs to be demonstrated.

Maybe do a video on a shaitel head?

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 1:36 am
I'm Heimish/BY Chassidish, so I'm not that familiar with the shpitzel, but I definitely think from all the Chassidish headgear, the shpitzel is most regal.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 2:02 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
I'm Heimish/BY Chassidish, so I'm not that familiar with the shpitzel, but I definitely think from all the Chassidish headgear, the shpitzel is most regal.

Ive had several women who switched from a shaitel/hat to a shpitzel come to me for lessons. I must say, some of them were quite plain looking in their original headgear and when they tied the scarfs it added so much to their face that they really were quite transformed and looked beautiful/regal.

Tzutzie

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 10:07 am
A shpitzer done right, is beautiful!

I have 2 sisters who wear shpitzels. But they wear hats. I thinks it's such a pity cuz they look so much better in a tichel!
But it is a huge hassle. So they stick with their hats.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 10:11 am
Tzutzie wrote:
A shpitzer done right, is beautiful!

I have 2 sisters who wear shpitzels. But they wear hats. I thinks it's such a pity cuz they look so much better in a tichel!
But it is a huge hassle. So they stick with their hats.

I find the hat look off putting, it’s worth the hassle for the result in my opinion

meyerlemon44

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 10:29 am
Seafoam or Blonde, could one of you do a video or take pictures of the process step by step? It would be so cool to see!

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 10:34 am
meyerlemon44 wrote:
Seafoam or Blonde, could one of you do a video or take pictures of the process step by step? It would be so cool to see!

I provided the picture, I will let my fellow shpitzel wearers jump in here to help out

avrahamama

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 11:01 am
I'm not chasidish but I was gifted a stay at a Satmar run Kimpeturin (and I LOVED it) it was so nice to chat with all the ladies about how they cover their hair. It was so amazing to speak to a lady who moved from wearing a wig and hat to wearing shpitzel and tichel and how it was a huge move for her and her journey to doing something new to become closer to HKBH. Obviously there are many different things to take on, but she chose her kisui Rosh. As a BT it was nice to see that everyone has a place where they want to shake things up a bit. She laughed when I said "oh a shpitzel is the bump!"

I use a Bobo and scarves... Sometimes I like to rock a turban (it's like sweatpant for your head)

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 11:27 pm

the blonde is only bc your amother 'color' is "blonde"

honeymoon

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 11:29 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
the blonde is only bc your amother 'color' is "blonde"

Is there even such a thing as a blonde shpitzel?
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics