Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Disturbed by this incident in school-WWYD?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 12:45 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
So I'm not really sure what your issue is with the scenario that unfolded with your daughter - but at this point - what you are looking for is a change of school policy regarding which types of rashes require a doctors note vs parental assurances.

(involving the nurse in health matters is 100% the right thing for the teacher to have done).

Where did I say I’m looking to change a policy?
If policy states that if a nurse notices a child with a rash...a doctor’s note is required...I can understand that.
Here the rash was NOT visible.
I don’t think it’s appropriate to lift a child’s clothing or scan a child’s covered body parts to locate a rash.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 12:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Insisting on a doctor’s letter that molluscum and eczema is not contagious is a dramatic reaction.
And it took quite a bit of time to place the calls, leave messages, and receive the letter.

Your doctor is wrong.

Molluscum contagiosum is spread by direct contact with someone who has it or by touching an object contaminated with the virus, such as a towel or a piece of clothing.

https://www.healthline.com/hea.....iosum

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 12:49 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Your doctor is wrong.

Molluscum contagiosum is spread by direct contact with someone who has it or by touching an object contaminated with the virus, such as a towel or a piece of clothing.

This is a very professional and experienced dermatologist.
And I have a note confirming that it is not contagious.

mommyhood

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 12:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This.
It feels like a breach of boundaries and privacy.
I don’t think it’s OK.
It doesn’t feel right.
The teacher could have conveyed her concern, and it could have been easily explained.

Requiring a doctor's note for a rash is perfectly reasonable. Nurses aren't trained to know what kind of rash it is. That being said I would speak to the nurse's boss about the privacy concerns. Checking the child in a private area is 100% a breach of boundary and privacy is not ok unless it's a diaper wearing child. My child's school called me for permission in a similar situation and only checked once my child knew I approved it.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 12:50 pm
The teacher and nurse handled this correctly.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 12:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This.
It feels like a breach of boundaries and privacy.
I don’t think it’s OK.
It doesn’t feel right.
The teacher could have conveyed her concern, and it could have been easily explained.

Medical matters are dealt with by school nurse - not teacher. Teacher is not the one with the medical education suitable to accept or reject your explanation - the nurse is.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 12:52 pm
The school nurse may ask for a doctor's note for whatever she deems necessary. I really don't get what the issue is.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 12:55 pm
mommyhood wrote:
Requiring a doctor's note for a rash is perfectly reasonable. Nurses aren't trained to know what kind of rash it is. That being said I would speak to the nurse's boss about the privacy concerns. Checking the child in a private area is 100% a breach of boundary and privacy is not ok unless it's a diaper wearing child. My child's school called me for permission in a similar situation and only checked once my child knew I approved it.

It’s not a diaper wearing child.

I may take your advice and speak to the nurse’s supervisor.
Thanks

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 12:58 pm
You start off by saying that your DD is in a head start program. I just wonder if you would feel the same way if her teacher was Morah Rivki and the RN was Nurse Sorah.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 12:59 pm
As a school nurse, I'll chime in here to...
School policy should be adhered to. If the school has a policy that requires a note for a rash (my school has something similar), then you should be ok with giving one. I'm sure you were sent the health policy at the start of the school year.
The teacher did the right thing by bringing the student to the nurse. In your case, it is eczema, but in other cases, it isn't. How should the teacher know without checking?
As far as the nurse, she should definitely check your daughter. For preschool aged children, discreetly checking is definitely appropriate.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 1:01 pm
I don't know where anyone gets the notion that in todays day and age there really is such a thing as privacy. All the privacy notices you sign, essentially say that you give them permission to share your information with other relevant parties.
Privacy is out the window as far as I'm concerned.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 1:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Where did I say I’m looking to change a policy?
If policy states that if a nurse notices a child with a rash...a doctor’s note is required...I can understand that.
Here the rash was NOT visible.
I don’t think it’s appropriate to lift a child’s clothing or scan a child’s covered body parts to locate a rash.

You've made a few comments on this thread about things you were upset about - including needing a note from a doctor.

nurse is experienced to know that a kid scratching a lot is a rash - even if she's not looking at it.

"program’s policy is if a child has a rash, a doctor’s note must be written stating that the condition is not contagious".

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 1:02 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
You start off by saying that your DD is in a head start program. I just wonder if you would feel the same way if her teacher was Morah Rivki and the RN was Nurse Sorah.

I must be dense.
With all due respect, what’s your point.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 1:16 pm
Whyd the nurse have to check her why couldn't she jusrt call mother and ask for drs note. I think most responses r insesitive to mom. There was no reason ro check a childs private areas. First consult mom. Maybe the child was itching cuz she didn't wipe herself properly

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 1:16 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
As a school nurse, I'll chime in here to...
School policy should be adhered to. If the school has a policy that requires a note for a rash (my school has something similar), then you should be ok with giving one. I'm sure you were sent the health policy at the start of the school year.
The teacher did the right thing by bringing the student to the nurse. In your case, it is eczema, but in other cases, it isn't. How should the teacher know without checking?
As far as the nurse, she should definitely check your daughter. For preschool aged children, discreetly checking is definitely appropriate.

Why would it be appropriate for her to looks at a private area to check out a skin condition when a school nurse is not trained in identifying and diagnosing these conditions?

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 1:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I must be dense.
With all due respect, what’s your point.

I assume she's assuming this was a non jewish program, and thinks your problem only exists because you dont trust the staff and teachers. However, there are many frum headstart programs.

As to the OP, I would think its fine. My boys' rebbe in pre1a helped them wipe, helped them tuck in, whatever was needed. I wouldnt think twice about a nurse checking a rash.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 1:20 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Whyd the nurse have to check her why couldn't she jusrt call mother and ask for drs note. I think most responses r insesitive to mom. There was no reason ro check a childs private areas. First consult mom. Maybe the child was itching cuz she didn't wipe herself properly

I could just imagine the next thread title:
"The nurse asked me to pick up my daughter from school because she was itching!"
It was only eczema and I was at work...
Because realistically that would be the alternative! Wink

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 1:20 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:

nurse said she didn't check.

nchr

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 1:22 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Your doctor is wrong.

Molluscum is contagious. Schools usually have policies that they must be covered. Also, my child had an itchy bum and it was because he had sat on a bee. Unfortunately no one paid attention or checked him so he had a bee stinger stuck in him for several hours. If a child is very itchy, a nurse should check it out and contact the parents. Also, some rashes may not be visible but still be contagious. I really dont get the big deal - just get the doctors note.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 1:23 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:

Who said it’s not?
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics