Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Disturbed by this incident in school-WWYD?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 4:27 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
FTR I think OP u should not dwell on this if your daughter is fine, just let them know your stance.

I just dont even like the idea that a child should be examined at school (if that's what happened)
And giving what used to be parental authority to the ever expanding medical system.
When I was in elementary school in the 90s I dont even remember there being a school nurse. There is a balance and they r certainly good for some thing. But mostly now schools need medical staff to dole out meds that half the kids are on. And to deal with allergies because so many more kids are experiencing immune dysfunction.

Can someone please explain what is wrong with a medical professional examining a child? The teacher didn't touch the child, it was a trained nurse. The same type of nurse that works in a medical office, hospital etc.

If you don't want the school nurse to examine your child AND you are aware of your child's condition, then its up to the parent to be proactive. You should alert the nurse to the child's condition and have the paperwork submitted in advance - or you should keep the child home during flare-ups.

Failing to do any of that, and demanding that the nurse not check out any possible medical situations is putting all of our children at risk.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 4:31 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
OP, you said you have a signed note that its not contagious & using that to validate your arguments, and yet in the same breath you're complaining about the nurse asking you to get that signed note from the doctor.

And if a kid has any medical condition, be it eczema or anything that may set off any warning bells in classroom, it is your duty and responsibility to let the teacher or school nurse know. It doesn't matter if it hardly flares up, but if it flares up anytime during school & your daughter shows symptoms that can be related to anything worrisome, it is incumbent upon the school nurse & teacher to have it looked into.

OP, I'm going to be harsh here (on the account of protecting all of our kids). It sounds like you wanted to hide your daughter's eczema & molluscum and what's bothering you now is that you didn't get away with it. And now you're looking to cast blame. All you needed to do was get a doctors note at the beginning of the year and give it to the school nurse. Failure to do that, is on you.

I'm personally cheering on the school nurse & teachers for doing what's right - protecting all of our kids. The large majority disagrees with you here, & that is very telling.

"Cheering on" and using your position of "majority " to dismiss the mothers stance and accusing her of "hiding" her childs eczema is very poorly covered bullying. This is what we're talking about here...

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 4:31 pm
FTR I think OP u should not dwell on this if your daughter is fine, just let them know your stance.

I just dont even like the idea that a child should be examined at school (if that's what happened)
And giving what used to be parental authority to the ever expanding medical system.
When I was in elementary school in the 90s I dont even remember there being a school nurse. There is a balance and they r certainly good for some thing. But mostly now schools need medical staff to dole out meds that half the kids are on. And to deal with allergies because so many more kids are experiencing immune dysfunction.

I went to school 80’s and 90’s and we always had a school nurse for a bandaid or an itch we were sent to her

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 4:38 pm
"Cheering on" and using your position of "majority " to dismiss the mothers stance and accusing her of "hiding" her childs eczema is very poorly covered bullying. This is what we're talking about here...

Bullying? If anyone is bullying here, its the OP bullying the school nurse for doing her job.

I am taking a harsh stance, because I absolutely do not want any school to be forced to change their policy based on such bullying. Which one of us here would want the teacher and school to overlook a young kid scratching away at her privates or anywhere else for that matter, & just accept the mother's words as is?

Think of how many contagious conditions are associated with itching and scratching & then think if you'd want someone with any of them in your kids' classrooms.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 4:45 pm
I'm not suggesting she get the nurse into trouble
I think its a matter of perspective

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Nov 18 2019, 4:51 pm
I'm not suggesting she get the nurse into trouble
I think its a matter of perspective

Your perspective is the health of the students none of the schools business. Correct?

My school didn't have a nurse. The publicly funded ones all did.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics