Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Horrific article about schools in Illinois

gingertop

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 1:07 pm
Quote:
The spaces have gentle names: The reflection room. The cool-down room. The calming room. The quiet room.

But shut inside them, in public schools across the state, children as young as 5 wail for their parents, scream in anger and beg to be let out.

The students, most of them with disabilities, scratch the windows or tear at the padded walls. They throw their bodies against locked doors. They wet their pants. Some children spend hours inside these rooms, missing class time. Through it all, adults stay outside the door, writing down what happens.

In Illinois, it’s legal for school employees to seclude students in a separate space — to put them in “isolated timeout” — if the students pose a safety threat to themselves or others. Yet every school day, workers isolate children for reasons that violate the law, an investigation by the Chicago Tribune and ProPublica Illinois has found.

Children were sent to isolation after refusing to do classwork, for swearing, for spilling milk, for throwing Legos. School employees use isolated timeout for convenience, out of frustration or as punishment, sometimes referring to it as “serving time.”

For this investigation, ProPublica Illinois and the Tribune obtained and analyzed thousands of detailed records that state law requires schools to create whenever they use seclusion. The resulting database documents more than 20,000 incidents from the 2017-18 school year and through early December 2018.

Of those, about 12,000 included enough detail to determine what prompted the timeout. In more than a third of these incidents, school workers documented no safety reason for the seclusion.

State education officials are unaware of these repeated violations because they do not monitor schools’ use of the practice. Parents, meanwhile, often are told little about what happens to their children.

The Tribune/ProPublica Illinois investigation, which also included more than 120 interviews with parents, children and school officials, provides the first in-depth examination of this practice in Illinois.

Because school employees observing the students often keep a moment-by-moment log, the records examined by reporters offer a rare view of what happens to children inside these rooms — often in their own words.

11:58 A.M., JAN. 11, 2018

FRESH START TREATMENT AND LEARNING CENTER, EFFINGHAM

“Please someone respond to me. … I’m sorry I ripped the paper. I overreacted. Please just let me out. Is anyone out there?”
Without doubt, many of the children being secluded are challenging. Records show school employees struggling to deal with disruptive, even violent behavior, such as hitting, kicking and biting. Workers say that they have to use seclusion to keep everyone in the classroom safe and that the practice can help children learn how to calm themselves.

But disability advocates, special-education experts and administrators in school systems that have banned seclusion argue that the practice has no therapeutic or educational value, that it can traumatize children — and that there are better alternatives.

No federal law regulates the use of seclusion, and Congress has debated off and on for years whether that should change. Last fall, a bill was introduced that would prohibit seclusion in public schools that receive federal funding. A U.S. House committee held a hearing on the issue in January, but there’s been no movement since.

Nineteen states prohibit secluding children in locked rooms; four of them ban any type of seclusion. But Illinois continues to rely on the practice. The last time the U.S. Department of Education calculated state-level seclusion totals, in 2013-14, Illinois ranked No. 1.

2:09 P.M., DEC. 11, 2017

ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, MATTOON

“Please, please, please open the door. Please, I’ll be good. Open the door and I’ll be quiet.”
Although state law requires schools to file a detailed report each time they use seclusion, no one is required to read these accounts.

Several school district officials said they had not reviewed seclusion reports from their schools until reporters requested them. The Illinois State Board of Education does not collect any data on schools’ use of isolated timeout and has not updated guidelines since issuing them 20 years ago.

“Having a law that allows schools to do something that is so traumatic and dangerous to students without having some sort of meaningful oversight and monitoring is really, really troubling,” said Zena Naiditch, founder and leader of Equip for Equality, a disabilities watchdog group that helped write Illinois’ rules in 1999.

Informed of the investigation’s findings, the Illinois State Board of Education said it would issue guidance clarifying that seclusion should be used only in emergencies. Officials acknowledged they don’t monitor the use of isolated timeout and said they would need legislative action to do so.

DEC. 17, 2018

CENTRAL SCHOOL, SPRINGFIELD

“I’d rather die. You’re torturing me.”
This investigation, based on records from more than 100 districts, found seclusion was used in schools across every part of the state and by a range of employees, from teachers and aides to social workers and security personnel.

Some districts declined to provide records or gave incomplete information. Others wouldn’t answer even basic questions, saying the law did not require them to. Of more than 20 districts reporters asked to visit, only three said yes.

“Is this something that we’re ashamed of? It’s not our finest,” said Christan Schrader, director of the Black Hawk Area Special Education District in East Moline, which documented about 850 seclusions in the time period examined.

Schrader said she thinks her staff generally uses seclusion appropriately but acknowledged room for improvement. She met with reporters at the district’s administration building but wouldn’t let them see the seclusion rooms in the school across the parking lot.

“Nobody wants to talk about those things because it doesn’t reflect well,” she said.

https://graphics.chicagotribun......html

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 1:18 pm
I can't even read these things. I stopped by the third paragraph. I get the horrors from these.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 1:35 pm
OMG I feel sick!

groisamomma

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 1:43 pm
I can't wrap my mind around this. I teach in a public school and we would never, ever do this. There's no "timeout" for kids to be alone, unsupervised. Ever. We do have a room where they can go to chill out and draw, play Xbox, and get help from the counselor to calm them down, but I'm appalled at this article.

enjoying kids

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 1:59 pm
I have personally witnessed this in NJ in NON public (non Jewish) special education schools.

marina

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 2:05 pm
Obviously this is being inappropriately overused but there are legitimate uses of restraint and seclusion. For example, if you have a large adolescent with severe aggression issues which are part of his disability, you may not have many other options to keep other kids safe.

These are not easy situations and I commend this media outlet for seeking to ensure teachers use these strategies legally, safely, and responsibly and only in the most extreme situations.

imorethanamother

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 2:05 pm
Isolation rooms and quiet rooms should never be locked. Children should not be restrained.

If the child is that much of a safety risk to other children, you suspend them or have the parents come get them. You can also call 911.

sequoia

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 2:10 pm
This is abuse.

Reminds me of when I was a little child and my father would lock me out of the house at midnight.

gingertop

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 2:11 pm
marina wrote:
Obviously this is being inappropriately overused but there are legitimate uses of restraint and seclusion. For example, if you have a large adolescent with severe aggression issues which are part of his disability, you may not have many other options to keep other kids safe.

These are not easy situations and I commend this media outlet for seeking to ensure teachers use these strategies legally, safely, and responsibly and only in the most extreme situations.

Unfortunately, until this report, there seemed to be no oversight. In 1/3 of isolation cases reviewed, no safety concerns were even documented. And it would be of no surprise to anyone, in a state where no one was reading the reports, if many of the dangerous cases were just documented that way even if the danger was nonexistent. There were probably also many situations which could have been deescelated.

Bruria

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 2:15 pm
This is so terrible, those poor kids! And parents that don't have any idea, how can people treat others this way, it's horrible!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics