Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Scale won’t budge!!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 1:45 pm
I lost a lot of weight over a year ago with diet & exercise. Over the summer & yomim tovim I gained 8 lbs. I’ve been really strict since yom tov was over. I lost the inches but the scale won’t budge!! I lost 3 lbs but the last 5 won’t come off.
Anyone have any ideas?

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 1:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I lost the inches but the scale won’t budge!!

I don't understand. Did you stay the same weight but decrease in size?

sky

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 1:59 pm
Are you excersizing. Could muscle weight replaced the fat weight?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 2:08 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I don't understand. Did you stay the same weight but decrease in size?

Yes

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 2:09 pm
sky wrote:
Are you excersizing. Could muscle weight replaced the fat weight?

I have been keeping my regular 30 min of cardio a day schedule. So I don’t think so. I’m not weight training.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 2:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes

Then why do you want the scale to change? Most people diet for their health and size; if you increased in weight but not size, you probably gained muscle, which is good for both.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 2:44 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Then why do you want the scale to change? Most people diet for their health and size; if you increased in weight but not size, you probably gained muscle, which is good for both.

True but I’m still medically considered overweight & I want to loose more.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 2:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
True but I’m still medically considered overweight & I want to lose more.

BMI is inaccurate when it comes to different body compositions.

Odelyah

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 5:48 pm
If you are otherwise healthy, the thing that I recommend strongly from experience, if you aren't doing it already, is tracking your daily calories (intake and burn) as accurately as possible. It is the only way to really make sure you are maintaining a calorie deficit over the course of each week. I used the website myfitnesspal.com, there is also loseit.com. (I think they are mainly apps if you do apps.) You enter your weight, age etc and your goal weight, and how many pounds a week you'd like to lose. (Unless you are starting off very overweight, I don't think more than a pound a week is usually recommended and it's not usually sustainable anyway.) Then it tells you how many net calories you should have each day. Then it's a matter of developing the habit of logging every single thing you eat. This includes measuring or weighing everything that doesn't have an exact portion size from a package with calorie info. The websites also have databases built in where you look up calorie info for everything. If you don't have a food scale you can start off without one, but it's useful.

Once you get in the habit of logging your calories it's really easy and not a big deal, just a matter of getting used to it, but so so worth it. And the fun part is logging all your exercise cals which magically increase your deficit Smile It makes weight loss super straightforward and not mysterious. It's just simple math really, and it trains you to eat consciously and make smart decisions. Like, I feel like having this cookie, but I have x many cals left today and we're having y for supper, and I would rather save the cals now because I actually don't really want the cookie that much, and I'd rather have 2 servings of pasta later, or whatever. Even with some normal fluctuations, like monthly bloating etc, if you log accurately and consistently for a month, maintaining an average daily calorie deficit each week, you will definitely lose weight barring any other health reasons.

Also, on MFP you can "friend" other nice frum ladies (there are some on here! that's actually how I heard about it years ago) and then when you post your exercise it will show up on your friends' news feed "shprintza123 burned 200 calories doing 30 minutes of kickboxing today" and they will "like" it and cheer you on with comments like "whoah!!! awesome you are doing so great! Smile" and that encouragement is actually way more motivating than I ever would have expected Smile

also just a heads up that it is not a "kosher" website/app -- you'll want to not accept random friend requests (when I started I only friended people from here and some of their friends who clearly seemed like nice frum ladies.) I mean I would friend a non-frum or non-Jewish woman I know in real life too.. just not anonymous randos.. wondering and I wouldn't friend any men at all, frum or not. There are also random posts/threads/blogs on different topics that show up on the side that you will want to ignore because most range from mindless to very inappropriate. And for that reason and also the non-tznius ads for workout clothes that pop up (at least in the free version) I never went on when my husband or kids were around. These are my personal guidelines, yours may be different-- I just want to be clear this is not a blanket endorsement of the full MFP experience Smile

If you decide to join you can PM me and b'ezH I will try to connect you with some nice friends who will cheer you on! Smile

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 8:11 am
Odelyah wrote:
If you are otherwise healthy, the thing that I recommend strongly from experience, if you aren't doing it already, is tracking your daily calories (intake and burn) as accurately as possible. It is the only way to really make sure you are maintaining a calorie deficit over the course of each week. I used the website myfitnesspal.com, there is also loseit.com. (I think they are mainly apps if you do apps.) You enter your weight, age etc and your goal weight, and how many pounds a week you'd like to lose. (Unless you are starting off very overweight, I don't think more than a pound a week is usually recommended and it's not usually sustainable anyway.) Then it tells you how many net calories you should have each day. Then it's a matter of developing the habit of logging every single thing you eat. This includes measuring or weighing everything that doesn't have an exact portion size from a package with calorie info. The websites also have databases built in where you look up calorie info for everything. If you don't have a food scale you can start off without one, but it's useful.

Once you get in the habit of logging your calories it's really easy and not a big deal, just a matter of getting used to it, but so so worth it. And the fun part is logging all your exercise cals which magically increase your deficit Smile It makes weight loss super straightforward and not mysterious. It's just simple math really, and it trains you to eat consciously and make smart decisions. Like, I feel like having this cookie, but I have x many cals left today and we're having y for supper, and I would rather save the cals now because I actually don't really want the cookie that much, and I'd rather have 2 servings of pasta later, or whatever. Even with some normal fluctuations, like monthly bloating etc, if you log accurately and consistently for a month, maintaining an average daily calorie deficit each week, you will definitely lose weight barring any other health reasons.

Also, on MFP you can "friend" other nice frum ladies (there are some on here! that's actually how I heard about it years ago) and then when you post your exercise it will show up on your friends' news feed "shprintza123 burned 200 calories doing 30 minutes of kickboxing today" and they will "like" it and cheer you on with comments like "whoah!!! awesome you are doing so great! Smile" and that encouragement is actually way more motivating than I ever would have expected Smile

also just a heads up that it is not a "kosher" website/app -- you'll want to not accept random friend requests (when I started I only friended people from here and some of their friends who clearly seemed like nice frum ladies.) I mean I would friend a non-frum or non-Jewish woman I know in real life too.. just not anonymous randos.. wondering and I wouldn't friend any men at all, frum or not. There are also random posts/threads/blogs on different topics that show up on the side that you will want to ignore because most range from mindless to very inappropriate. And for that reason and also the non-tznius ads for workout clothes that pop up (at least in the free version) I never went on when my husband or kids were around. These are my personal guidelines, yours may be different-- I just want to be clear this is not a blanket endorsement of the full MFP experience Smile

If you decide to join you can PM me and b'ezH I will try to connect you with some nice friends who will cheer you on! Smile

Thank you
I don’t think I can do the tracking like these apps. It’s too much for me. But I understand the concept.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise