Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Will travel anywhere for a warm HEALTHY girls highschool
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 5:21 pm
Not kidding.
We would move anywhere for the right school.
We have an only child. A daughter. We were never able to have more kids. We send her now to a BY school in Israel that is considered to be smaller and warmer than most Beis Yaakov schools in Israel.
As she is getting closer to the end of her 8 years there, I can honestly say that I'm not impressed. The teachers are not warm and there is little passion or spiritually in the way that Judaism is taught. The general atmosphere is pretty repressive and restrictive with a huge emphasis on tznius and little emphasis on middos and connection to Hashem. This is not what I wanted for her. I would like to make a better choice for her for high school. I would leave Israel and move anywhere that has a warm healthy environment where Torah is taught with love and warmth. Where the girls come from wholesome families and they are taught by example to be "alive" in their connection with hashem. Does such a thing exist?
We are open to chabbad or more modern or more mizrachai schools. Officially we are American yishivish, but we're not scared of carlebach, breslov, chabbad, chardal, etc. On the contrary, we appreciate all types and mostly just want good energy. Just a place with a pulse where the teachers truly love the girls and care to teach Torah with warmth and love. Has anyone found a school like this? Anything close? Please share and let me know about your experiences.

amother
White

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 5:27 pm
I dont know that many girls HS thou ive heard of many experiences with all types of American yeshivish schools on the east coast and none of them are what you describe. Maybe open one up?

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 5:29 pm
I highly recommend my daughter's school. But wouldn't want you to make yerida on my suggestion!

It's MO, so you have to be comfortable with all that entails (girls learning gemara etc.) My daughter came from a BY and is very happy there

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 5:29 pm
Look into Temima in Atlanta. I have heard raving reviews about it from everyone I know who went there.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 5:36 pm
Would you also consider the impact uprooting her from the community and country and culture that she knows might have? And weigh that against the benefits of an ultra-amazing school? While I admire your dedication to her growth and chinuch I also encourage you to look at the big big picture as well

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 5:44 pm
Mesorah in Dallas, Texas

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 5:49 pm
Kosloff Torah Academy in Philadelphia!

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 5:56 pm
I would first look at a chabad high schools in E"Y

hatzlocha

oneofakind

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 5:58 pm
Denver, Colorado but think of your daughter adjusting to a different culture.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 6:01 pm
If your daughter has been in an Israeli school all of her schooling so far , she is going to be way behind in secular studies and it would probably be very difficult to move to America . Although out of town in the state's most schools are healthier and more individualized than east coast schools , I would recommend asking around in Israel and seeing if you can find a better fit.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 6:14 pm
bais yaackov of scranton has a school the principle is a warm wonderful woman its located in the beth shalom synagogue

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 6:19 pm
I heard of American families happy with their dd’s school in givat zev

Where do her teachers think she will do well?

There is no such thing as a completely perfect school. It would be a shame for you to move unless you have other reasons to.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 6:31 pm
Any best school might turn out not the best fit, for many reasons. There's never a guarantee

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 6:33 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Look into Temima in Atlanta. I have heard raving reviews about it from everyone I know who went there.

I am close to a well known teacher/speaker in Brooklyn and she said hands down best girl school she has ever seen.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 6:40 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
I would first look at a chabad high schools in E"Y

hatzlocha

Chabad in Israel is nothing like it is in America. It's practically a diff religion. They are way more intense and extreme in Israel not an open, friendly "brand" like in USA. Basically if you're thinking of chabad it's not Israeli chabad.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 8:09 pm
I have experience with 3 of the schools mentioned. 2 of them I would NOT recommend at all.
The 3rd I would highly recommend and thats KTA in Philly.
But I would also think twice and 3x before moving my daughter to a new country and culture.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 8:23 pm
As much as I would like to give you hope, there is no such thing as a perfect school.
I tried finding the same type of school as you want, and there's always something.
What's weird is that it seems like everyone wants the same thing for their kids, everyone wants a great environment where everyone is friendly, but people are people... We'll always be disappointed in something(and in someone).
If a school is reasonably good and she has a few friends, good enough.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 10:02 pm
Similar to amethyst amother, I was going to suggest an excellent MO school. But it is mixed, girls learn talmud, very expensive, super high level of secular education, etc.
However, they do have what you want- an emphasis on middos, kindness, ahavat hashem, while being fully part of the world. They openly discuss heavy topics, and you need to be ok with that.
My dd switched from a very rigid BY & bh is flourishing with the staff & classmate support.
They actually have a few kids from Israel who come to their school & talk to the kids about life there.

tichellady

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 10:06 pm
I would start by looking in Israel. I’m sure there are good schools there

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 10:23 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Similar to amethyst amother, I was going to suggest an excellent MO school. But it is mixed, girls learn talmud, very expensive, super high level of secular education, etc.
However, they do have what you want- an emphasis on middos, kindness, ahavat hashem, while being fully part of the world. They openly discuss heavy topics, and you need to be ok with that.
My dd switched from a very rigid BY & bh is flourishing with the staff & classmate support.
They actually have a few kids from Israel who come to their school & talk to the kids about life there.

I wonder if it's the same school.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics