Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
How long does it take you to make dinner each day
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 6:03 pm
Can you please specify how often do you take something that you put in the freezer or if it’s leftovers from Shabbos etc.

lovingmommy3417

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 6:40 pm
One night is leftovers usually and one night a week usually ends up being takeout. If not then like once every other week.
It usually takes me on average a half hour to make dinner. That's not including if I'm just leaving something in the oven or stovetop for a long time to cook.
I usually like having easy dinners though bec I dont have much time.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 6:56 pm
I usually make dinner from scratch daily and it takes from 5 minutes up to about 1/2 hour preparation. (Cooking and baking time varies depending on what I’m serving and cooking method)

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 6:58 pm
How?

Everything takes me forever.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 6:59 pm
5 minutes in the morning, plus 5 minutes to throw a salad together when I come home, but that's only possible when I freeze all proteins already seasoned and ready to cook.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 7:06 pm
I do easy things..,
Like drumsticks only have to be rinsed off spiced and baked
If I see breaded cutlets I buy.. much less mess - just fry
I bake rice pilaf in oven - comes with a spice pack
I cook pasta (easiest thing to cook!) and add cheese and sauce
I use corn from can often

Basically I probably spend around 20 tops preparing supper
Shabbos takes much longer.. I bake challah and make lots of things but I refuse to patchke all that much
Everything I serve is tasty without the work!

tichellady

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 7:09 pm
About an hour. I don’t cook each day. I don’t move so quickly and I count cleaning up as part of the time.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 7:14 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
How?

I'm with you, Brunette. Things usually take me close to an hour, and that often does not include clean-up time. I have to get ingredients together and prepare the recipe. Then, there's at least half an hour of cooking time.

Even Rachel Ray takes 30 minutes to make dinner, and she has sous-chefs in the background waiting to help her, cheats during commercial breaks, and often starts out with preprocessed ingredients. I'm not surprised it takes me a lot longer.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 7:15 pm
15-45 minutes max.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 7:15 pm
ra_mom wrote:
5 minutes in the morning, plus 5 minutes to throw a salad together when I come home, but that's only possible when I freeze all proteins already seasoned and ready to cook.

I can never throw together a salad in 5 minutes. I have to wash the vegetables and dry them. That itself takes more than five minutes.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 7:20 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
I can never throw together a salad in 5 minutes. I have to wash the vegetables and dry them. That itself takes more than five minutes.

I place a box of grape tomatoes under the faucet and allow to drip dry in the sink. Then open a bag of prewashed romaine into a bowl, peel and cube 3 kirbies into the bowl, drop halved grape tomatoes in, a few slivers of red onion, and then drizzle with olive oil, garlic powder, s&p and toss.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Nov 21 2019, 3:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 7:31 pm
5 min when I get home and 5-10 min before serving most nights.

When I get home I throw some form of chicken or meat into a pan or pot. Maybe some starch too. Throw on spices or sauce. Stick it in the oven. Sometimes it’s grab a pan from the freezer and throw it in the oven.
At dinner time (after the first round of bedtime) cut up some veggies.
Littles eat leftovers from the previous night (no reason for them to know chicken is normally served hot)

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 7:31 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
How?

It just so happens to be , my family members call me the “speedy cook”. My mother said what takes me 5 minutes takes her 20.
Somehow I got it down to a science after years of practice. I put up whatever needs to cook longest, first. Once that’s cooking I work on the other things that take less time . By the time the first thing is finished cooking everything else is done already .
I also did not include cleanup in the time I gave . I usually clean up after supper is served , together with the the after supper mess.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 7:36 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
I do easy things..,
Like drumsticks only have to be rinsed off spiced and baked
If I see breaded cutlets I buy.. much less mess - just fry
I bake rice pilaf in oven - comes with a spice pack
I cook pasta (easiest thing to cook!) and add cheese and sauce
I use corn from can often

Basically I probably spend around 20 tops preparing supper
Shabbos takes much longer.. I bake challah and make lots of things but I refuse to patchke all that much
Everything I serve is tasty without the work!

How do you bake that pilaf? It never comes out for me.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 7:38 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I place a box of grape tomatoes under the faucet and allow to drip dry in the sink. Then pour a bag of washed romaine into a bowl, peeled and cube 3 Kirbies into the bowl, drop halved grape tomatoes in, a few slivers of red onion, and then drizzle with garlic, s&p and toss.

Five minutes is fast for that!

Refine

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 7:42 pm
20 min- 1 hour. If it's an hour, I usually do some a bit earlier, than finish more right before dinner.
Depends if I froze the chicken already breaded in the pan.
Depends if I'm serving fish sticks, French fries and sliced cucumbers:%a
Depends if I made a soup or salad.
any form of potatoes take me longer since they need to be peeled. C
I'm not counting cooking times (or washing the dishes), just the time I need to prep.
I wish I can cook better food faster, I find cooking soo boring (but like to eat)!

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 7:43 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I place a box of grape tomatoes under the faucet and allow to drip dry in the sink. Then pour a bag of washed romaine into a bowl, peeled and cube 3 Kirbies into the bowl, drop halved grape tomatoes in, a few slivers of red onion, and then drizzle with garlic, s&p and toss.

No oil or lemon juice? (Off topic, I know. But, just wondering if you omitted it because I like copying your food Smile)

applesbananas

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 7:44 pm
Suppers this week
Sun - leftovers (no time)
Mon - Chicken on the bone with broccoli in the pan and quinoa cooked in a pot - 5 mins plus monitoring rhe quinoa
Tonight - Meatballs and spaghetti- 5 mins for sauce, 15 mins to make meatball mix and making balls. Spaghetti a min plus monitoring
Wed - schnitzel and mashed pot and salad . I prebread shnitzel for at least a month bec I hate the mess. I bake it which takes a min to stick in the oven plus monitoring. 10 mins to put up the mashed potatoes and then need to monitor..
Thurs - frozen pizza or bought (no time)

Overall I make easier than pie dinners. Never more than half hr. I come home same time as kids and its annoying for them if im cooking for a long time after they get home instead of giving them attn..

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 7:45 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Five minutes is fast for that!

I'll time it tomorrow iyh.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 7:45 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
No oil or lemon juice? (Off topic, I know. But, just wondering if you omitted it because I like copying your food Smile)
oops that's supposed to say a drizzle of olive oil. I'll edit. Smile
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking