Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
How long does it take you to make dinner each day
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 4:26 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Nobody mentioned how many ppl they're cooking for!!!
Cutting up vegetables for stir fry or soup for a couple doesn't take much time but if you're cooking for a large family cutting up vegetables add a lot of time!!
Peeling 3-4 potatoes or a 5lbs bag?
Cleaning 4 pcs of chicken takes half the time than cleaning 8!!

I cook for 7 people.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 4:43 am
I want to share with you all my favorite shortcut: bitesized or precut veggies. I make soup with baby carrots- one less thing to peel and cut. I use frozen veggies for my stir frys. Salads have baby tomatoes and prechecked lettuce.
Canned potatoes go under my chicken.

You can even pressaute and freeze your own veggies for soup if you want.

I also think we all take as long to make dinner as we have. Because I have no time in the afternoon I precook or prep, giving up the time on Sundays or the rare days I come home early. Someone who’s home all afternoon might do that all as part of dinner prep in the afternoon.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 5:17 am
I guess it depends on what you're making. Something like salmon, rice and salad is much faster than lasagna, mashed potatoes and soup, make your own marina sauce, sautee onions, and cut up lots of vegetables for the soup.

Some of my kids favorite dishes are: cheese latkes, mashed potatoes (real potatoes, fried onions), chicken cutlets (fried only with homemade sauce)... I make these only when I have more time, but it's obviously going to take a lot longer to make fried chicken cutlets, mashed potatoes and vegetable soup, than salmon, plain rice, and salad...

Ravenclaw

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 5:48 am
5-15 minutes.
It’s either frozen breaded cutlets thrown into the oven with a kugel from the freezer (when I do make kugel, farfel for Shabbos I make huge batches) or frozen French fries.
Or 15 minutes would be chicken in a pan with cubes potatoes, and pour duck sauce (or any store ready sauce) on top. Then it bakes for hours on its own, and voila.
For veggies it’s either frozen veggies warmed up with salt and oil, or freshly cut veggies (which I just cut as kids are eating so doesn’t count)

rainbow dash

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 8:09 am
I cook fresh food everyday. I dont have any leftovers from shabbos.

Unless im baking chicken in the oven or making gulash or sheapards pie everything normally takes me 30 mins.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 8:19 am
rainbow dash wrote:
I cook fresh food everyday. I dont have any leftovers from shabbos.

Unless im baking chicken in the oven or making gulash or sheapards pie everything normally takes me 30 mins.

What do you make?

rainbow dash

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 8:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What do you make?

Prebreaded fish,prebreaded snitzel, chicken stur fry, sausagus, spagetti bolanize, veg soup, pasta, potato mash, rice, tin of veg, salad,

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 8:54 am
Op, can you make a list of the things you and your husband enjoy eating? Then we can help you with shortcuts.
It shouldn’t take all day.. unless you have a large family and you’re making many different things for each person...

I make one easy meal.. if anyone is not happy with it there’s always grilled cheese, frozen pizza, cereal...

MiriFr

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 8:58 am
Only cooking for me and DH (he comes home after kids are sleeping. For my 3yo, pasta or scrambled eggs. Only thing he'll eat. For 2 month old, well.....).
Every couple motze shabbos's, I make a big batch of pizza dough, and divide it into 4. Pop one out of freezer when needed. 8 minutes in the oven.
Otherwise, I just make easy foods. Probably takes me 20 min max to prep. I try to stay away from meals that need to be babysat, like frying individual pieces of chicken.
I also live by my airfryer! From start to finish, I can have a meal ready in 15 minutes!
I occasionally do crockpot meals, which takes between 5-15 minutes to prep.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 8:58 am
It usually takes me half hour to an hour, of course if I'm making veg soup from scratch it'll take longer, if my kids are in the way it takes even longer. If I forgot to defrost the chicken, it takes even longer as my fingers get frozen. It all depends. Nothing close to the 5 or 10 or 15 minutes for supper as posters above said and I don't consider myself slow.
It also depends what you are serving and for how many.
I usually serve a starch, protein and vegetable and a soup.

rainbow dash

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 9:17 am
I cook for 6 people

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 9:37 am
Boy oh boy, my family sure doesn't know how good they have it!
I didn't realize how much longer than average I spend over dinner prep, either.

I can easily spend all morning- 3-4 hours- cooking, baking, roasting, frying for my family of eight.

Cutting a salad takes me so much time! Even just breading a pack of cutlets ( family size pack goes in one shot) takes 15-20 minutes, from cracking eggs, to flavoring the crumb, to breading each individual piece...

While I enjoy cooking, and don't mind spending time In the kitchen, I am not a geshikte person.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 9:39 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:

I can easily spend all morning- 3-4 hours- cooking, baking, roasting, frying for my family of eight.

Cutting a salad takes me so much time! Even just breading a pack of cutlets ( family size pack goes in one shot) takes 15-20 minutes, from cracking eggs, to flavoring the crumb, to breading each individual piece...

While I enjoy cooking, and don't mind spending time In the kitchen, I am not a geshikte person.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one!

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 9:39 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:

I really think most people don't have a good sense of how much time it takes them. Cutting a salad takes time, especially if you're a perfect person and cuts it really evenly. Maybe the salad that takes them 5 minutes is by dumping a bag of lettuce a bag of cherry tomatoes and shpritzing some store bought dressing on it. Not a salad and dressing that you make from scratch, that means five different veggies and so on.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 9:58 am
30 min. to an hour, usually. Supper for 6 good eaters. But I also have a few suppers that are pulled from the freezer that have basically no prep time (like when I make soup I make 3x what I need and freeze the rest for another time).

I live OOT so no conveniences like pre-checked veggies. We have to follow a very specific diet due to health issues in several family members, so I can't do easy foods. Almost all suppers are from scratch using whole foods, and vegetarian (no dairy either).

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 11:14 am
There is a huge difference in making salad if you don't use prechecked or prewashed vegetables and ones of normal size rather than ones that require perhaps one cut (think grape or cherry tomatoes.) Like everything else, using the convenience foods comes with a much higher cost. And using drumsticks that hardly need to be cleaned of fat cost a lot more where I live than thighs which have a lot more fat to be removed. Also, some may spend one minute and get a good chunk of the fat while to others, it is important to get just about all the visible fat.
There are trade-offs in everything.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 1:16 pm
Ra_mom, how do you freeze raw meatballs?

westchestermom

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 1:34 pm
Freeze meatballs on a baking sheet and then put them in a freezer ziploc

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 4:04 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Ra_mom, how do you freeze raw meatballs?

I mix them in a 9x13 pan then move the mix to one side of the pan and start making the meatballs and lining them up in the same pan. I slip the pan into a Challah size zip bag (2 gallon) and freeze. Once frozen, I place the meatballs in a Ziploc bag, still lying flat in one layer (so it will defrost easily) and throw out the 9x13 pan.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Nov 20 2019, 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

renslet

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 4:12 pm
I try to cook in bulk and freeze as much as possible. I buy whole chickens fresh, cut the schnitzel and bread it and freeze it breaded. Clean the bottoms and freeze ready to spice. Bones I keep for soup. Big lots of meatballs in soup and freeze in containers, goulash meat or pepper steak. I freeze breaded fish also. White sauce for pasta, vegetable soup and even beans and barley for cholent freeze beautifully (I add meat and peeled potatoes Friday morning when I put in the Crock-Pot)
I use a pressure cooker a lot and make some quick kiddie meals, but I mostly take from the freezer, salads take minutes while stuff is frying or heating up.
Sometimes I am cooking all Sunday once a month but the results are worth it.
Oh, and where I live there are practically no processed ready made kosher stuff
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking