Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What do you do when the kids are sick??
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 9:53 am
I BH have a flexible job, but over the past 3 weeks, my 4 kids each had a virus / flu.
I took off some days, but it's too much already. What do people who don't have flexibility do? No one will want to babysit a sick kid, except maybe my mother or mother in law who both work full time.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 9:54 am
It’s awful. Unless my kid is febrile she’s in school. If she’s febrile my husband or I have to take off. Many people have backup care benefits from their work (I don’t) others hire someone from care.com. It’s so hard

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 10:09 am
I go crazy; are there other options?
Ideally one parent should have a flexible schedule or an understanding boss, but that's not always the case.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 10:17 am
My husband stayed home yesterday, I'm home with the sick baby today, and tomorrow my husband’s off anyway.
I am able to bring a child to work if necessary, but I would only do that if they’re feeling ok and I’m just waiting for it to be 24 hours since fever.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 11:15 am
DH and I alternate, and sometimes my in-laws can pitch in. In our area one of the hospitals has a daycare for sick kids. We haven't used it, but I've been told that you sign up ahead of time and then when the child is sick, you can call the night before and tell them what the child has (they only allow one kind of sickness at a time, so they don't infect each other). If your kid has strep and the other kids do too, then you can send. Or if you're first (or only to call). The caregivers are nurses, so they know how to care for sick kids. Anyway, maybe you have something like that in your area?

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 11:50 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
DH and I alternate, and sometimes my in-laws can pitch in. In our area one of the hospitals has a daycare for sick kids. We haven't used it, but I've been told that you sign up ahead of time and then when the child is sick, you can call the night before and tell them what the child has (they only allow one kind of sickness at a time, so they don't infect each other). If your kid has strep and the other kids do too, then you can send. Or if you're first (or only to call). The caregivers are nurses, so they know how to care for sick kids. Anyway, maybe you have something like that in your area?

Such a cool idea! But I would only use it when kids are young enough or old enough to not care where they are. To send a sick preschooler to a strange place where they know nobody won’t be fun.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 1:03 pm
Alternate and have the doctor write a detailed note for the employer

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 1:39 pm
I'm expecting my first in February, and hoping that my preschool job will be understanding, because we can't afford to pay for a sitter, and have no family in the area. DH can't take off, so I will have to when baby is sick.

Mayflower

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 2:43 pm
I usually work from home when the kids are sick. Only works when I have no meetings scheduled though...

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 2:45 pm
Some jobs allow taking the kid to work.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 2:48 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
I'm expecting my first in February, and hoping that my preschool job will be understanding, because we can't afford to pay for a sitter, and have no family in the area. DH can't take off, so I will have to when baby is sick.

Where will your baby be when he is not sick?

hodeez

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 4:56 pm
But how do you take a sick kid to work? Won't they infect everyone there? Also when they're sick they really need to sleep... Do they sleep somewhere in the office? So curious how some mother's make this work.

cnc

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 4:58 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:

That's a fascinating idea.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 5:02 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:

This is why I don't hire married women with young children...

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 5:07 pm
hodeez wrote:
But how do you take a sick kid to work? Won't they infect everyone there? Also when they're sick they really need to sleep... Do they sleep somewhere in the office? So curious how some mother's make this work.

I would do it only on that extra day when they’re not allowed back into daycare yet but not so sick. I bring a stroller for a little one or big ones hang out on the couch in the break room. (It’s a small workplace and we all know everyone’s families)

agreer

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 5:46 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
This is why I don't hire married women with young children...

It's good that
a) you're anonymous, because that's illegal, and
b) you have abundant self-confidence to post this, as it's totally irrelavent, but not enough to do so under your SN

Can't Believe It Can't Believe It Can't Believe It

honeymoon

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 5:50 pm
agreer wrote:
It's good that
a) you're anonymous, because that's illegal, and
b) you have abundant self-confidence to post this, as it's totally irrelavent, but not enough to do so under your SN

Can't Believe It Can't Believe It Can't Believe It

c) it's good that you're anonymous because now I can't beat you up like I would like to do. Mad

Ftr, I'm a mother of young kids and I never missed a day of work because of them. (only when I birthed them.)

tigerwife

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 6:05 pm
I have both stayed home with my child and worked from home, and taken a not-so-sick but not -well-enough-for-school child to work with me.
It really depends on your job and flexibility.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 6:06 pm
LOL yes that is exactly why I posted anonymously! And missing for giving birth would not be okay either! I had to go right back to work day after I came back from hospital. Once had to wait until after work to get stitches in my cut leg. I can close my business if it makes you feel more comfortable but that would not really help the people I can't hire...

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 6:07 pm
honeymoon wrote:
c) it's good that you're anonymous because now I can't beat you up like I would like to do. Mad

Ftr, I'm a mother of young kids and I never missed a day of work because of them. (only when I birthed them.)

That’s so nice of you to pay your workers enough to hire an in home babysitter and have a back up for when the babysitter can’t come.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics