Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
No pictures please !
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 9:24 pm
I went to a party and was handed a name tag with my name on it
I was told to put a red sticker on it if I didn"t want my picture taken.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 9:27 pm
I am so pleased to hear that people are doing something about it. The fact that anyone at a simcha can post pictures on social media is so terrifying and upsetting.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 9:32 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
I am so pleased to hear that people are doing something about it. The fact that anyone at a simcha can post pictures on social media is so terrifying and upsetting.

Out of curiosity - what terrifies you about ending up on somone's Instagram account - as person in background at a simcha.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 9:49 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Out of curiosity - what terrifies you about ending up on somone's Instagram account - as person in background at a simcha.

I am not an Instagram fan, and I find it a violation of my privacy to be splashed across the Internet without my knowledge or consent.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 10:09 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
I am not an Instagram fan, and I find it a violation of my privacy to be splashed across the Internet without my knowledge or consent.

I understand that - but it shouldn't terrify you.

you were at the Simcha. Its really hard to keep that information private.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 10:15 pm
I have seen signs at weddings that say not to post pictures of the wedding anywhere .

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 10:42 pm
I understand that - but it shouldn't terrify you.

you were at the Simcha. Its really hard to keep that information private.

And if I am the mother of the bride or groom and I don't want pictures displayed publicly of my family davening under the chupah? There is a right to privacy that has become lost.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 11:20 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
And if I am the mother of the bride or groom and I don't want pictures displayed publicly of my family davening under the chupah? There is a right to privacy that has become lost.

I hear you. I don't understand why that terrifies you, but I hear you.

(though again - its not a private moment - everyone at the chuppah can see you).

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 11:27 pm
I hear you. I don't understand why that terrifies you, but I hear you.

(though again - its not a private moment - everyone at the chuppah can see you).

Yes everyone at the chupah can see, however those are people that have been personally invited to be part of my Simcha. The thousands of people on Instagram have not.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 11:30 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Yes everyone at the chupah can see, however those are people that have been personally invited to be part of my Simcha. The thousands of people on Instagram have not.

What's the terrifying part?

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 11:34 pm
What's the terrifying part?

I guess I find what could happen with the continued lack of privacy and respect of people's boundaries terrifying.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 11:47 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
I guess I find what could happen with the continued lack of privacy and respect of people's boundaries terrifying.

What could happen?

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 12:34 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
What could happen?

What can happen when people don't respect each others privacy ?
What kind of society exists if privacy and boundaries are not respected?
Privacy has always been an important cornerstone of Jewish Life, Ma Tovu Ohelech, this was praise on BY that the entrances to the tents faced away from one another to afford privacy.

We have a concept of Matan B'seser, doing things anonymously. We have a concept of privacy at the mikva. Imagine finding yourself on someones Instagram feed leaving the mikva? Or the inside of a shiva home? With the erosion of respect and boundaries its only a matter of time. Why should that be respected if people are posting everything else?

Honoring a persons privacy and boundaries is showing them respect. When you live in a society where no one respects one another and disregards their boundaries nothing good can come of it.

happyone

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 12:44 am
we do that at charidy funded celebrations, special needs events and private affairs you would not want to child exposed publicly. its generally a sticker or band on hand worn to keep photographers from clipping. great way to preserve some sort of consent for what its worth.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 6:43 am
odd

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 7:10 am
I'm so glad this isn't a thing in Israel as much.
I have heard that websites that post engagement/wedding photos will CHARGE you to get a photo taken down of you.

It's just sick.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 8:34 am
LovesHashem wrote:
I'm so glad this isn't a thing in Israel as much.
I have heard that websites that post engagement/wedding photos will CHARGE you to get a photo taken down of you.

It's just sick.

thats crazy u should sue them for using youre picture for free advertising

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 9:50 am
Once your photos on the internet it can be used widely unless you have clicked on all sort of tiny privacy policies.
I know of a jewish family who went abroad and their children were on a huge billboard advertisement poster on the highway(for the local supermarket!) But it could go anywhere.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 3:20 pm
I don't even have a smart phone, let alone Instagram. But my knee-jerk reaction to this "terror" is get over yourselves. I use the plural as I see so many "likes" to the posts expressing horror at being "outed" at a simcha or G-d forbid a shiva house! I certainly can understand the "terror" if someone is in hiding for personal safety reasons or even perhaps from a creditor, but I did not see that mentioned.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 3:24 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:

Who cares?? Are you doing something illegal? Are you ashamed of the marriage? Unless there is a safety concern here, who really gives a darn??
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics