Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Think it won’t happen to you?
Previous  1  2  3

daagahminayin

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 7:37 pm
I started reading the long article posted above. I couldn’t finish. My heart is aching. Hashem Yishmor. May all such incidents be prevented, may we develop technologies and methods to prevent them. Oy!!!

singleagain

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 8:02 pm
Thank you for posting the article. I could only skim it bc of the heartbreak. When I was younger I didn't get hurt it could happen, but after reading all these stories, I wonder how it doesn't happen more often.. or does it happen and most ppl remember in time? I don't know. But I don't trust my memory on a lot of other things, so I know I'm going to one day set up a system like leaving a shoe in the backseat or getting an Alexa for my car and telling it every time I get in to remind me to check the bank when I drive anywhere. Even if I'm alone.

SixOfWands

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 8:25 pm
daagahminayin wrote:
I started reading the long article posted above. I couldn’t finish. My heart is aching. Hashem Yishmor. May all such incidents be prevented, may we develop technologies and methods to prevent them. Oy!!!

Read the last paragraph. It’s worth it.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 8:37 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
It would NEVER happen to me because I am mindful of what I do. The first thing I ever was mindful of is my kids. I never left them for one minute while I paid for gas or anything. This doesn't happen to everyone. I never came close to forgetting my children.

The part of you that hopes I forget my kids is [wrong]. All of me hope you remember yours from now on everytime you go out. Crying You have no more important job than keeping them safe.

What horrible, judgmental posts.

I'm a SAHM. I keep my kids home with me until nursery. I am hyper-vigilant about my kids' safety. I would never, never, never leave them alone.

I'm the one who freaks out when I drive somewhere WITHOUT my kids because I'm so used to having them in the car. I'm the LAST one anyone would expect to forget her kid in the car.

And guess what?

No, I've never forgotten them in the car. Or the house. Or at school.

But I'm not arrogant enough to say that it could never happen to me.

I just bought a new car seat for my toddler. I spent extra to get one that has a built-in reminder device. It chimes when I turn off the car and the car seat is buckled, and it pings my phone if I walk 15 feet away from it without unbuckling the clip (and if I don't respond to that, it notifies my husband).

Because it can happen to ANYONE. Even me. And I'm not too proud to admit that.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 8:49 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
What horrible, judgmental posts.

I'm a SAHM. I keep my kids home with me until nursery. I am hyper-vigilant about my kids' safety. I would never, never, never leave them alone.

I'm the one who freaks out when I drive somewhere WITHOUT my kids because I'm so used to having them in the car. I'm the LAST one anyone would expect to forget her kid in the car.

And guess what?

No, I've never forgotten them in the car. Or the house. Or at school.

But I'm not arrogant enough to say that it could never happen to me.

I just bought a new car seat for my toddler. I spent extra to get one that has a built-in reminder device. It chimes when I turn off the car and the car seat is buckled, and it pings my phone if I walk 15 feet away from it without unbuckling the clip (and if I don't respond to that, it notifies my husband).

Because it can happen to ANYONE. Even me. And I'm not too proud to admit that.

What car seat did you buy?

amother
Seagreen

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 9:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What car seat did you buy?

This one

I bought it on Bed Bath & Beyond with 20% off coupon

Laiya

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 9:01 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
I just did some research. They say it's a memory problem.

I have never done any of those things you mentioned. I also can't believe that everyone forgets their kids sometimes. It sounds like when a teenager say everyone has something when they want something. Maybe a lot of people forget their kids, but I don't believe everyone forgets their kids. There would be a lot more tragedies. Some people do have lousy memories and some have excellent memories.

I have never forgotten when something is in the oven. I don't forget when it's time to take medication. I don't forget what I need when I am in the store. And I have never forgotten my kids.

No, everyone doesn't forget their kids sometimes, but anyone CAN under the right confluence of factors: sleep deprivation, change in routine, and distraction.

As so heartbreakingly described in the article, grandparents have done it, too.

Also, it does happen more often than reported, but would generally only result in a tragedy when the weather is warm.

Librarian

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 9:04 pm
Laiya wrote:
No, everyone doesn't forget their kids sometimes, but anyone CAN under the right confluence of factors: sleep deprivation, change in routine, and distraction.

As so heartbreakingly described in the article, grandparents have done it, too.

Also, it does happen more often than reported, but would generally only result in a tragedy when the weather is warm.

Or cold.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics