Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Do you speak yiddish?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 10:32 pm
Do you’re parents speak Yiddish?
My parents do I understand it a little .

amother
Wheat

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 10:43 pm
We are Chabad. My parents used to speak to us a little bit in Yiddish, so I understood some but could really only speak it on a 1-year-old level.

I really wanted to speak with my children in Yiddish, so I read them a lot of Yiddish children's books and now converse with them in Yiddish primarily (oldest is over Bar Mitzvah). I do say things in English if I don't know the Yiddish words, or if I'm frustrated (English is my first language basically), but I think I do well.

My kids correct me, they know more from reading than I do!

amother
Burgundy

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 10:56 pm
I speak a perfect Yiddish and speak to my children a lot in Yiddish as well

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 10:57 pm
Not at all.

yiddishmom

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 11:07 pm
Yup!
Chassidish heimish, we grew up with yiddish and Hebrew. My parents are Israeli.
English was my third language, learnt it in school.
But today I primarily speak English, and I think in English as well.
But I definitely want my children to know Yiddish. I always feel sorry for those that don't know the language. It's a good language to know.
So far I've only spoken in Hebrew and English to my baby, but hubby speaks to him in Yiddish.

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 11:10 pm
Yes Yiddish is my first language. I’m chasidish. I speak Yiddish to my kids, family & friends.

gingertop

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 11:10 pm
Yes. And I wanted my kids to know it as well so I speak to them occasionally in Yiddish. I forget most of the time. It's easier to just speak to them in English or Hebrew.
I've gotten tons of storytelling, music and parsha cds in Yiddish so their Yiddish is pretty good, considering.

amother
cornflower

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 11:29 pm
And because my first language is Yiddish I really want my kids to know how to speak in English well, so far they are not very good @ it . Would love tips how to teach a 2nd language. My kids are not comfortable speaking in english , I started to stop demanding them to speak in English because the more I pressure the more they pushing it away . I keep speaking in english and like this one day they will get used to it. Dont get me wrong, Yiddish is beautiful! I just want my kids another language that gets spoken a lot in town.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 11:35 pm
My first language was yiddish. By now, it's english.

I do the same for my kids. Start out in yiddish, but then converse in english so they get fluent in both.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 11:37 pm
Maybe you can borrow cute kids books with pictures from the library and they will learn to read and speak English or watch Sesame Street

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 12:17 am
I understand it and can speak it on a low level. My grandparents used to speak to me in Yiddish. My kids don't understand a word of it.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 1:10 am
I speak Yiddish. And my kids to. I don't really have a first language. My mom spoke English. My dad another language. When I got a little older it was only Yiddish. So I grew up speaking 3 languages. My accent in all of them is weird

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 1:32 am
Yidish is my primary language which I speak to my parents and my kids
Hebrew to my husband and in laws and some of my sisters in law from my side
Flemish cos I grew up in Belgium and still talk to my classmates (even though I dont live in belgium anymore)
French I understand and speak a bit. Haven't used it in years so I'm forgetting

But mainly yidish .
My girls end up speaking english between themselves and with friends cos English is the main language in school

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 1:55 am
Yup, were chassidish so yiddish is my first language. My kids go to a yiddish speaking school so same for them. I do read, write and think in english, but still I have a little accent!

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 3:29 am
Badly, wish I had more occasions

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 4:35 am
My father learned it and can speak it perfectly. My mother doesn’t speak at all. I do speak Yiddish but not as well as I used to because I’ve been out of “practice”. I’ve been told by others though that I speak it very well and that they are impressed. I think it’s because they don’t expect it when they see me.

nanny24/7

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 4:40 am
Yes and yes. It's a second language for me as well as for my kids with English being our first language.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 4:43 am
My sabta learned it upon marriage (she's sefardi). So I tell myself I should be better at it.

tf

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 4:43 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Yes Yiddish is my first language. I’m chasidish. I speak Yiddish to my kids, family & friends.

Me too.
I read a lot of English self help books though. It made me have an easier time expressing myself in general so if I can't easily find a way to Express myself in Yiddish, I use English.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 4:58 am
My parents dont.
I do.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics