Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Do you speak yiddish?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 5:04 am
No and I don’t know anyone who does.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 5:15 am
Yes. And yes.
Chassidish.
My father speaks yiddish, Hebrew (grew up part of his childhood in ey) and English. He understands Hungarian.
My mother speaks yiddish English and very little Hungarian.

Dh and I speak yiddish and English.
My kids speak yiddish. And they understand a bit of English. My first grader is learning English in school now. We have lots of English and yiddish books. I want them to have a good fluency in both.

alef12

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 5:25 am
Nope. My Yiddish words are all food words (chulent, kugel, knishes lol) and a smattering of other words like kvell 😆

My mother doesn't speak it and neither does my grandmother. My U.S. (Georgia) born great grandmother spoke her yiddish (she knew English fluently and used that most of the time, though it was awesome to hear her speak yiddish lol) with a southern accent. Her parents came over from Russia as small children in the late 1800s.

My husband is 5th generation American on his mother's side as well (though fromNew England) and his mother doesn't either speak Yiddish. He can decipher it better than me due to years in yeshiva but doesn't "speak" it.

So my 6th generation kids have no chance. Really should invest in a language learning program of some sort so we can all learn the basics but I've heard the ones out there aren't in the type of Yiddish most used around here

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 5:32 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
We are Chabad. My parents used to speak to us a little bit in Yiddish, so I understood some but could really only speak it on a 1-year-old level.

I really wanted to speak with my children in Yiddish, so I read them a lot of Yiddish children's books and now converse with them in Yiddish primarily (oldest is over Bar Mitzvah). I do say things in English if I don't know the Yiddish words, or if I'm frustrated (English is my first language basically), but I think I do well.

My kids correct me, they know more from reading than I do!

This is so interesting for me. I grew up speaking only English. I picked up a little bit of Yiddish from Sichos, and from teaching Yiddish speaking kids. I started out trying to speak to my kids in Yiddish, bought Yiddish CDs, (I was going to say books too but it was really only one) as they started talking they outgrew my vocabulary pretty fast and the Yiddish fizzled. From time to time I play the CDs and my kids are like "what are they saying?!" Do you have any tips for me? Do you think it's too late to introduce Yiddish at this point when my oldest is 5, completely unfamiliar, and me with an out of practice 1 yr old vocabulary?

nchr

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 5:33 am
Yes, but I assume this question was not intended for Chassidim

yo'ma

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 5:50 am
I speak yinglish, does that count?

My parents and grandparents both spoke yiddish. My fathers parents barely understood english. Both my parents grew up with yiddish spoken in their homes. They, my grandparents, were all from Eastern Europe.

soap suds

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 6:15 am
Yup. Yiddish is my first language, although it's my mother's third. It's my kids' first language, too.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 6:42 am
I do and I sent my older daughter to bais yakov of bp Yiddish class because I wanted her to learn but that didn’t happen so I sent my younger girls to gan yisroel

pizza4

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 6:59 am
Yes but it's not my first language. I speak to both my kids and dh a mix, some yiddish, some English.
I'll usually start out in Yiddish and switch over to english pretty fast in the conversation.
I cannot speak Yiddish to friends, I'm just not comfortable... sometimes women will be conversing in Yiddish, I either keep quiet or add something in english.
I feel like its important to know both English and Yiddish. I know a bit of ivrit, would learn more when have extra time.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 7:12 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
This is so interesting for me. I grew up speaking only English. I picked up a little bit of Yiddish from Sichos, and from teaching Yiddish speaking kids. I started out trying to speak to my kids in Yiddish, bought Yiddish CDs, (I was going to say books too but it was really only one) as they started talking they outgrew my vocabulary pretty fast and the Yiddish fizzled. From time to time I play the CDs and my kids are like "what are they saying?!" Do you have any tips for me? Do you think it's too late to introduce Yiddish at this point when my oldest is 5, completely unfamiliar, and me with an out of practice 1 yr old vocabulary?

I don’t think it’s too late at all, but it isn’t as easy. Start by just talking to the babies in Yiddish and read them books in Yiddish until your Yiddish improves.

Explain to the older kids why you’re doing it, and don’t pressure them to participate. They will probably pick it up automatically, and if you start reading and buying interesting books in Yiddish (Shpiglitsky is the Yiddish version of Shikufitsky for example, we love it) they might be motivated to try.

I also want to point out that ANY amount of Yiddish helps! If you want to learn a sicha you can use the dictionary for any unfamiliar words, but knowing the basics is invaluable.

I am now trying to start using Hebrew more at home, in addition to the Yiddish, so hopefully my advice works for me too!

honeymoon

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 7:27 am
I speak Yiddish and English and I can understand and read Hebrew too. I'm dreaming of learning to speak a real Israeli Hebrew fluently. I'm chassidish.

I speak English with a smattering of Yiddish to dh and an equal mix of English and Yiddish to my young kids. I want them to be fluent and comfortable in both languages as I love the English language and Yiddish is a beautiful, very rich language.

Librarian

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 9:24 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
I understand it and can speak it on a low level. My grandparents used to speak to me in Yiddish. My kids don't understand a word of it.

Same here! Except my oldest son does know Yiddish from Yeshiva but not the rest of my kids. Shame.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 9:34 am
I wish every generation that had it transmitted it (remplace it by ladino, judeo italian whatever)

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 9:41 am
Ruchel wrote:
I wish every generation that had it transmitted it (remplace it by ladino, judeo italian whatever)

My grandmother knew Ladino, but she never taught it to us. DH's friend is a Rabbi in Turkey, and he speaks it, but it is a dying language unfortunately.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 9:49 am
A vada, ich farshtei nish vi di kenst freggin aza shaila

Alst a kleina maidl in the east side afilu de g0yim gredt yiddish

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 9:58 am
Nary a word.

My father understands a little, and his parents spoke it.

My mother doesn’t speak it at all, and neither did her parents. Maybe her grandparents did, I don’t know.

dankbar

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 10:46 am
YIddish was my first language, as well as my dh & children.

I do speak in English to my friends though.

It's also easier to write, read & think in English for me.
If I get stuck, mid convo, sometimes a Yiddish expression, will glitch out of my mouth more easily, When I am trying valiantly to speak only English to a crowd, that has some people who don't understand Yiddish.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 10:52 am
dankbar wrote:
YIddish was my first language, as well as my dh & children.

I do speak in English to my friends though.

It's also easier to write, read & think in English for me.
If I get stuck, mid convo, sometimes a Yiddish expression, will glitch out of my mouth more easily, When I am trying valiantly to speak only English to a crowd, that has some people who don't understand Yiddish.

Yup, right there you did it!

professor

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 11:26 am
I speak Yiddish.

My sibs and I would speak yiddish when we didn't want our parents to understand what we are saying. They don't know a word of Yiddish.

My mother's father knew Yiddish but he is from Germany and his family was killed while he managed to escape to Israel in time. He hated Yiddish. Said it reminded him of German.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 12:08 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
My parents dont.
I do.

How? Self taught?
I'm impressed.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics