Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
What did you do with you’re wedding gown after the wedding?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 3:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Please donate it to a gemach
Let us know which one
Get a tax deduction

Suggestion of a gemach? I’m in the Monsey area. It also wasn’t cleaned so I would want them to handle everything.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 4:02 pm
My mother bought her gown at Macy’s and sold it for thirty five dollars after her wedding this was sixty years ago

chicco

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 4:19 pm
I put it on every year on my anniversary for the last 35 years.

Just kidding. I had it cleaned and returned it to the generous person who lent it to me.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 4:22 pm
My sister-in-law ‘s shared the same dress they had it altered for their different sizes it was preserved
In an attic for thirty five years

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 4:32 pm
Donated it.
My friend's MIL has a friend who started a wedding gown gamach in memory of her (own) daughter who was killed in a car accident a few weeks before her wedding. I hope it has been worn.

Please G-d, my daughters should get married and I should please be able to afford gowns for them and then donate them as well.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 3:38 pm
Anyone know where I can donate my wedding gown? Thank you

banana123

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 3:41 pm
I gave it back to the gemach where I got it from. I paid to have it cleaned, that's it.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 3:42 pm
I got mine from a rental place in BP. My mother donated hers to Zichron Yehudis Miriam Bridal Gemach. (718) 854-0334

Her dress was ivory beaded straight and long sleeves. No poofy shoulders etc. Was quite vogue when she got married.

The gemach will redecorate it/alter it if it needs to be made modernized

PeanutMama

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 3:47 pm
Where can I donate my wedding dress? It’s a size 8 and I lost the cover for it

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 4:00 pm
Had it cleaned and returned it with my eternal thanks to the generous person who lent it to me.

But if I had bought my gown, it would have gone immediately to a gmach. So many women have this fantasy that their dds will wear their gown. I know exactly two women who wore an ancestral gown: one had to have it taken in about six sizes, which was possible only because of the unusual way it was cut; and the other was considerably too tight to the point of being not tzniusdik but the kallah was determined to be able to boast that she fit into her much slimmer mother's gown.

Most of the time what happens is the dd is taller, shorter, heavier etc. than the mother and the gown costs a fortune to alter, or the mom doesn't want it to be altered because then it won't fit the younger sister, or the gown, once white, is now yellowed and looks like a thrift-shop reject, or the dd is painfully style conscious and refuses to wear anything that's not at the height of current fashion, or the daughter wants to make a statement that this is HER wedding and doesn't want mom trying to recreate her own, or the mom is gorgeous, the dd less so, and doesn't want negative comparisons, or the dd simply has her own taste and doesn't like her mom's gown. Meanwhile, for all those years, someone else or many someone elses could have worn that gown that so selfishly hung in the closet.

singleagain

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 4:07 pm
I grew up dressing up in my mom's gown. Which was bought for her older sister a'h 's wedding and then given to her but it ripped during her dancing. And got dirty. So I had it for dress up.

Then when I got engaged I wanted to wear it. But of course it was beyond repair. My mom showed me all different bits of her dress on other dresses and I nixed it all. Then she pointed out I don't like her style gown, but I liked that it was her gown.

I ended up getting a custom gown. And it's hanging in a closet somewhere. I think my mom offered it to a few people. But for one reason or another it didnt work

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 4:17 pm
I made my gown at a dressmaker as I had very specific vision of what I wanted. The plan was to donate it to Gemach after but someone at my wedding begged my mom to buy it off her. It ended up getting ruined a lot by dancing and needed quite a bit of work to make usable so we gave it to her for free.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 4:57 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Mine was a custom rental. Costed over 5k to sew up. For another $500 it could have been bought. My mother didn't want to bother.
I begged her to buy it. (It would have been hers to rent and do with it whatever. Not mine.) Like everything else I ever suggested, she said I was being rediculous.

Jokes on her. My friend wore it a year later at her wedding. She said that according to the rental place, she was the 10th kallah to wear it!!!! And she paid over 1k to rent it!!!!! Oh, and about 3 years after my wedding I saw it hanging STILL in the window of the bridal place. The gown turned out to be THE gown at that place. For a while.

But brides go to the place to look for dresses. They don't go to your mother's house. Nor does your mother have the infrastructure to do alterations (particularly alterations that will not permanently affect the dress, so it can be re-used).

Of course, I've no clue why anyone would spent $1000, much less $5000, to rent a dress.

saralem

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 5:43 pm
One of my dd’s wore my gown, which my mom had preserved. Dd had my gown redesigned to her taste and I was thrilled! Its now hanging in my closet, torn and not in good shape. Not worth the cost of preserving a second time.

shanie5

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 9:15 pm
My mom sewed my gown and I didn't want to give it away. I did lend it out to someone who altered it to fit her. One of my dd's was going to alter the dress for herself, but 1-our seamstress had surgery and was not working then and 2-dd went to a gemach to see what style she liked and fell in love with a gown she tried on.

Maybe my last dd will want it? Ya never know....

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 9:18 pm
I returned it to the place I rented it from.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 12:56 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
But brides go to the place to look for dresses. They don't go to your mother's house. Nor does your mother have the infrastructure to do alterations (particularly alterations that will not permanently affect the dress, so it can be re-used).

Of course, I've no clue why anyone would spent $1000, much less $5000, to rent a dress.

Besides Gmachs, where can you rent a gown for less?

Rappel

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 1:01 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Where can I donate my wedding dress? It’s a size 8 and I lost the cover for it

There are a bunch of gemachim in Boro Park, though I don't know the names. Kudos to everyone who donates! You're giving a huge gift to the general community

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 2:06 am
[quote="amother [ Cerulean ]"]But brides go to the place to look for dresses. They don't go to your mother's house. Nor does your mother have the infrastructure to do alterations (particularly alterations that will not permanently affect the dress, so it can be re-used).

Of course, I've no clue why anyone would spent $1000, much less $5000, to rent a dress.[/quote]

I rented and I loved my dress!! I think I was only the second to wear it, and they made whatever changes I wanted, not just basic alterations. The fee covered petticoats, alteration, and cleaning. I had been shopping for a while, so I knew that the cost to buy and build up a dress or buy a tsnius one would be more. And I didn't have to worry about preserving or storing after. It was definitely worth it to me.

Metukah

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 6:33 am
I gave it away to an institution for orphans.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics