Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Urgent question about moving to NJ
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 3:18 pm
Seriously considering moving from Brooklyn to Toms River border-Lakewood. My 18 year old son is freaking out, saying he won’t have friends, will have to start in a new yeshiva (beis medrash), he’s not typical Yeshivish (he loves sports and has that in common with his Brooklyn friends).

Are there these types of boys there? A yeshiva that would be a good fit (he’s a good learner but isn’t the type to sit for 12 hrs straight learning), now he has breaks throughout the long yeshiva day which he likes (do they have that there too? Or is every yeshiva-beis medrash very strict about sitting all day straight?).

What about making friends?

What about night life for us? Is it dead at night, is there somewhere to go out for pizza after 9pm? Starting to get nervous myself too... any help is appreciated.

TIA

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 3:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Seriously considering moving from Brooklyn to Toms River border-Lakewood. My 18 year old son is freaking out, saying he won’t have friends, will have to start in a new yeshiva (beis medrash), he’s not typical Yeshivish (he loves sports and has that in common with his Brooklyn friends).

Are there these types of boys there? A yeshiva that would be a good fit (he’s a good learner but isn’t the type to sit for 12 hrs straight learning), now he has breaks throughout the long yeshiva day which he likes (do they have that there too? Or is every yeshiva-beis medrash very strict about sitting all day straight?).

What about making friends?

What about night life for us? Is it dead at night, is there somewhere to go out for pizza after 9pm? Starting to get nervous myself too... any help is appreciated.

TIA

I don't live there, but doesn't an 18 year old have dorming options that he can consider?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 3:22 pm
Can your son stay in his current yeshiva and travel to Lakewood for shabbos?

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 3:23 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:

I know people do this

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 3:24 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:

No, dorming isn’t an option. He wants to live at home and I want him to as well,

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 3:26 pm
Do you have younger children as well?

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 3:31 pm
I understand your concern... but what's the urgency about?

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 3:33 pm
There aren't any pizza stores open at 9 that I know of but there are plenty of fleishig places open until 1 am. It seems in Lakewood the midnight munchies are more for fleishig eaters than milchig!

As far as yeshivas that are his type- what about Stein's?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 3:36 pm
OP, he's 18. Most 18 year olds are away in yeshiva, unless there are specific circumstances. Is there a specific reason he must be home?

pizza4

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 5:22 pm
Pizza stores close at about 6 here. Soon though, I'm sure that will change.
I even asked one pizza shop owner if he'd consider staying open later, he said later if people are hungry they can eat fleishigs. Lol.
There's ice cream though.
Make sure the area you move to has your type of people.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 5:24 pm
Miller and Hope

There are a number of "chiller" yeshivos for boys that age

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 5:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No, dorming isn’t an option. He wants to live at home and I want him to as well,

I'm pretty sure that every Lakewood bais medrash is dorm only. Even Lakewood boys dont sleep at home.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 6:45 pm
I've heard about a place in Lakewood called Brudny's (Rav Chanina Brudny) that may be a good fit for DS.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 6:48 pm
I have a cousin who moved there and there oldest son was miserable and he ended up staying in the city and visiting his parents.

amother
White

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 6:50 pm
Can you wait to move until after he finishes at his yeshiva? How much longer does he plan on staying there?

Sebastian

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 7:37 pm
I would stay put for a few more years OP

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 9:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Nothing to do with Brooklyn or Lakewood, but unless something is abnormal, that's unhealthy. Being a helicopter parent is not going to help his development and maturity.

bnm

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 9:57 pm
Bun is open late. The new 7/11 fleishig place is open till 2am. I don't know if there are any dairy places open late, even Dunkin closes at 10.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 10:19 pm
If you live in the center of Lakewood, you will have to the option to go somewhere open at night. If you move to or near Toms River, it’s residential and quiet but only a few minute drive away.
It sounds like your son is a great guy and is in a perfect yeshiva for him.
Don’t rock the boar for a nice house.
Either find him a perfect yeshiva or wait a bit...

dveikus

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 10:34 pm
Tom's River is a superfund site, meaning it is a highly toxic environment due to past pollution. Look into it and decide for yourself if it's worth the health risks. Cheap housing is not worth it in my opinion, but only you can decide for yourself.

https://www.app.com/story/news.....2002/
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries