Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Minimalist vs hoarder
Previous  1  2  3  Next

What do you consider yourself?
1- minimalist  
 6%  [ 14 ]
 22%  [ 49 ]
 48%  [ 106 ]
 19%  [ 42 ]
5- hoarder  
 4%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 220

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 9:29 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Heres my philosophy on clothes, which is a huge catagory in our homes with big families:

The closets/dressers should ONLY contain clothing that is used regularly, is in season, fits nicely, you like, and is in good condition.
The basement or attic should contain the rest of your wardrobe, separated and labeled clearly in bins, according to size and season. Before "binning" them, check for stains and ask yourself if you want you or your kid to wear it next time around.
Keep two big baskets in your storage room: one for garbage, one for donations. Get rid of then when you "bin" every 3-4 months.

Its hording with sechel. You save money but dont go crazy from clutter=best of both worlds.

Dont ask about any other categories, I'm definitely closer to a horder and havent yet figured out good systems for the rest!

I agree with constant reevaluating and purging. But don't believe in storing bins in the basement or attic anymore. Because they just stay there and you don't use them when you need them, know where they are when you think of them, or even know you have them. After a while it just becomes another collection.
Now I keep what we have in sight. If there's something I'm holding for next season it stays on one side of the closet where I always see it. Obviously you can only keep as many clothes as fit comfortably in the closet. And that's not a bad thing.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Nov 26 2019, 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

top mom

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 11:30 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Heres my philosophy on clothes, which is a huge catagory in our homes with big families:

The closets/dressers should ONLY contain clothing that is used regularly, is in season, fits nicely, you like, and is in good condition.
The basement or attic should contain the rest of your wardrobe, separated and labeled clearly in bins, according to size and season. Before "binning" them, check for stains and ask yourself if you want you or your kid to wear it next time around.
Keep two big baskets in your storage room: one for garbage, one for donations. Get rid of then when you "bin" every 3-4 months.

Its hording with sechel. You save money but dont go crazy from clutter=best of both worlds.

Dont ask about any other categories, I'm definitely closer to a horder and havent yet figured out good systems for the rest!

Beautiful idea!
Now, if you'll just help me find my basement or attic Scratching Head

sweetdimples

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 12:25 am
zaq wrote:
Clearly. We need at least two sets of kasherable kitchenware and we’re supposed to have four if we can afford them. That’s the barest minimum unless one is vegetarian. But we don’t need separate sets for weekdays and for Shabbat, for example, which many people do, and we don’t necessarily need much in the way of pareve although it’s convenient. (You need never worry about the status of onions if you always use pareve utensils to cut and cook them. )

Don’t forget about the set

sweetdimples

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 12:25 am
Whoops meant to write Pesach set

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 12:57 am
I put minimalist even though I have an excessive amount of things. I have an extreme amount of storage. Everything has a place. My house is clutter free and bare.

Teomima

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 4:09 am
I voted 4 though I'm starting to get a lot better. Also I genuinely think a part of why I feel like a 4 is due to circumstances, mainly being a family of six squeezed into a small Israeli apartment with no storage space. I'm trying hard to live by the philosophy of "a place for everything and every thing in its place" but there's just not enough places! (I know, it's easy to say, "But if you had more room, you'd just fill it with more junk!" The problem is the things we really do need room for even though they hardly get used, such as Pesach dishes and camping equipment, which does get used several times a year. ) I've been very good lately about getting rid of old clothes and turning down offers of free stuff. So maybe I'm not really a 4, just more of a disorganized mess? But I'm definitely NOT a minimalist.

Teomima

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 4:10 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I put minimalist even though I have an excessive amount of things. I have an extreme amount of storage. Everything has a place. My house is clutter free and bare.

I think that's my dream setup! All the stuff I need, but a clean, bare living space.

Teomima

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 4:19 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I find it very helpful to visit hoarders and clutterbugs now and then, or, in a pinch, watch the shows. The thought that I could be like that scares me so much that right awayI start cleaning stuff out. A few times a year does the trick. Of course I still have more possessions than I need and even some I never use, but it’s controlled and it’s reasonably neat. As much as I value possessions, I also value room to move around and closet doors that close.

Lol at first I thought you meant this was a website with before and after pictures of homes that had been organized 🤭

I also like watching the shows, I feel they make me feel less bad about myself which in turn helps me feel motivated.

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 7:22 am
sweetdimples wrote:
Whoops meant to write Pesach set

I didn’t. That’s why I said “two kasherable sets.” Although separate Pesach ware is preferred, one can make do with dishes that can be kashered, e.g. glass or metal.

Last edited by zaq on Wed, Nov 27 2019, 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 7:27 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:

You’re confusing minimalism with tidiness. If you have stuff you don’t need, you’re not a minimalist, even if your home looks bare because of its sheer size. If you crammed your possessions into a house with one tenth the space, you would see how much of a minimalist you aren’t.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 7:38 am
I'm a "recovering hoarder". I will never be 100% minimalist, but I am fighting to get my magpie urges under control. Ooooh, shiny! Must have!

I come from a very long line of antique collectors. The women in my family all have excellent taste in interior design. We also value dressing in high quality, classic and timeless clothing. When you find a cashmere sweater foro $5.00 at a thrift store, you MUST have it! Who cares if you live in the dessert? Oh, and that silver teapot would make an adorable planter. The hand carved walnut corner shelf would be great for my figurine collection. You get the idea.

This is an excellent blog: https://theklutterkoach.com/ It's run by a frum woman who gets it, and she's also an incredibly nice person. She's an American living in Israel, with a very active family. Sometimes when I come over to visit her house is a balagan, so she knows that nobody is perfect every single day. (People with perfect houses make me nervous. It makes me suspicious that they might be aliens in disguise.)

Right now I am getting ready to move from a very large 2 bedroom apartment into a "cozy" one bedroom apartment. The pain is REAL, people. The pain is real. At wits end

Last edited by FranticFrummie on Wed, Nov 27 2019, 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 7:45 am
Teomima wrote:
Lol at first I thought you meant this was a website with before and after pictures of homes that had been organized 🤭

LOL
I’d have capitalized and/or put it in quotes. But it is a good name for a show. Let me speak to my agent...

I meant visiting people who are hoarders and clutterbugs. They tend to go together but it is possible to be one and not the other. There’s no lack of them, and the longer they’ve been living in one place the worse it gets.

I suppose that visiting someone who has an extreme case of a trait you’re trying to overcome in yourself, no matter what that trait may be, can motivate you to put the brakes on. Although it can as easily make you complacent: “I’m fine, no need to change anything. Aunt Bertha, now, she REALLY needs to do something about her drinking/hoarding/gossiping/grey roots/weight/sloppiness/ nail biting/ dead plants/ coke sniffing/meddling/bossiness/roaches/soap opera addiction etc.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 9:42 am
zaq wrote:
Aunt Bertha, now, she REALLY needs to do something about her drinking/hoarding/gossiping/grey roots/weight/sloppiness/ nail biting/ dead plants/ coke sniffing/meddling/bossiness/roaches/soap opera addiction etc.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

zaq, you are in fine form today! Thanks for the laughs, I feel better already. Very Happy

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 12:51 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

zaq, you are in fine form today! Thanks for the laughs, I feel better already. Very Happy

Glad to be of service! Humor is twice blessed: it cheers the one who gives it as well as the one who receives it.

Bleemee

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 5:34 pm
Wannabe minimalist.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 4:18 am
Part 2 of this poll: what does DH consider you? LOL Tongue Out

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 11:51 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Part 2 of this poll: what does DH consider you? LOL Tongue Out

The love of his life.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 1:51 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Horrible hoarder! I just-can't-throw-things-away. Just as an example: Yesterday I had a fight with myself over an old tablecloth with dozens of holes in it and frayed edges. Yes, it had history and a pedigree. But it was beyond repair. I kept thinking that maybe I could taylor it into a mitpachat or turn it into cleaning shmattes or tiny pieces to clean my glasses or... Took me about 15 minutes of hard thinking until I could throw it away.

You sound EXACTLY like my mother!!

Also, congratulations on throwing it out!

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 1:58 pm
I don't throw away anything that is useful. I donate the things that I don't need.

Rivka10

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 8:25 pm
Voted 2. I don't buy a lot (except books!)
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics