Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Connecticut community-not mod orthodox, more right wing
Previous  1  2

Odelyah

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 10:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks so much. Would it be realistic to find a house that is around 2-250?

yes

Odelyah

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 10:56 am
and you're welcome! Smile

Odelyah

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 11:04 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Bridgeport's, but it's tiny

yes it's tiny-the rabbi and rebbetzin are very nice and they send their kids to school in Waterbury

Odelyah

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 11:17 am
here is an example of a small house in a good location https://www.zillow.com/homedet.....zpid/

here is an example of a big house in a sought after block that was just listed https://www.zillow.com/homedet.....pid/?
-- even so they are asking very high, I highly doubt they will get what they're asking, and I assume they will lower the price eventually, but just showing you for reference

Odelyah

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 11:18 am
I have to go but if you ask more questions I will try to answer later b'ezH

Odelyah

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 5:02 pm
also I just realized you didn't mention where in CT your husband would be working. CT is small but not tiny and some commutes from Waterbury could still be pretty far-- especially in the winter. just another factor in your equation

for example a lot of people commute to New Haven-- it's not too bad

but some places that seem a reasonable distance can take longer due to traffic on I-84..

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 5:40 pm
Glad you mentioned Nagatucket, Odelyah...not only do they have a yeshiva but they just opened a kollel too.
(That's basically the extent of my knowledge Wink Does Bridgeport still have a yeshiva gedolah?)

self-actualization

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 7:55 pm
I think it's called Naugatuck.

doctorima

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 8:46 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Glad you mentioned Nagatucket, Odelyah...not only do they have a yeshiva but they just opened a kollel too.
(That's basically the extent of my knowledge Wink Does Bridgeport still have a yeshiva gedolah?)

The yeshiva in Bridgeport closed about 7-8 years ago. I've heard that there may be a small kollel there, but I don't have any info about it.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 9:11 pm
I have a friend and cousin in Waterbury. Housing is cheap. Taxes are high but house prices are really cheap
You can even build a brand new house in blue ridge for under 300k.
I don't know about anything else though.
There is really no community in Bridgeport. It was like three families ....

avigail

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 9:07 am
I moved to waterbury a year ago..really nice community. As Odelyah is saying, housing is cheap. Tuition is slightly less than Brooklyn, and the school is nice about working with you. With exceptions obviously, but in general people aren't fancy here, less peer pressure to spend, less places to eat out etc so overall costs of living is good.
Come for shabbos and check it out!
Naugatuck kollel just started this year. Only 7 ( I think) families there so far, all in kollel. They shop, go to school etc in waterbury.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 10:12 am
avigail wrote:
I moved to waterbury a year ago..really nice community. As Odelyah is saying, housing is cheap. Tuition is slightly less than Brooklyn, and the school is nice about working with you. With exceptions obviously, but in general people aren't fancy here, less peer pressure to spend, less places to eat out etc so overall costs of living is good.
Come for shabbos and check it out!
Naugatuck kollel just started this year. Only 7 ( I think) families there so far, all in kollel. They shop, go to school etc in waterbury.

Thanks so much! I’ve only been hearing nice things lol. I would love to know the negatives too🙈 one person did mention that it can be “cliquey” did u find this to be true as an outsider moving in?

avigail

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 10:48 am
No I don't find it cliquey. People were actually very welcoming . Like any big enough group, I'm sure you can find a few who are too cliquey, too frum, not frum enough..if you aren't so outgoing you may have a harder time meeting people / making friends but that's anywhere..
You want the negatives?
The community is small, usually one class per grade, so If you don't like the class, theres no other school/ parallel class to switch to.
There is only one kosher store- no pizza after shabbos! They run out of milk, theres no milk until Tomorrow..
There are a limited number of munyanim, no late shacharis or maariv.
No frum clothing stores/ shoe stores..
Any specific questions feel free to PM me
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating