Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Chanuka tips for teachers

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 12:43 am
I recently found out that when the PTA of our school collects $ for chanukah for our teachers, only a small percentage of that money actually goes to the teachers. For example, in my sons' yeshiva they collect $25 from each boy for the English teacher. However, the teachers get about $300 each. Considering that it is a class of 30, I am wondering where on earth the rest of that money goes! (No assistants in their classes anymore.)
In the meantime, we have decided that we will just give our sons' teachers money directly, since we want to show them hakoras hatov, and I really don't think it is right that money that we parents want to give the teachers is not going to them.
Anyone have any idea why this is done? It is really bothering me.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 1:25 am
Could be to standardize the tips and prevent a lot if the agonizing that one often sees here about how much to give. Also rules out any possibility of extra consideration for families who can affird to give a lot, and ensures equal consideration for english and Hebrew staff.

As for where the extra money is going, why not ask them? Could be some goes to give a tip to people like office staff, whose work is no less essential for the school but who normally get left out of things like this. Maybe some is channelled into other school projects.

I would check before giving a private gift. If this is the established system in the school, they may not be allowed to accept private gifts.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 1:37 am
Elfrida wrote:
Could be to standardize the tips and prevent a lot if the agonizing that one often sees here about how much to give. Also rules out any possibility of extra consideration for families who can affird to give a lot, and ensures equal consideration for english and Hebrew staff.

As for where the extra money is going, why not ask them? Could be some goes to give a tip to people like office staff, whose work is no less essential for the school but who normally get left out of things like this. Maybe some is channelled into other school projects.

I would check before giving a private gift. If this is the established system in the school, they may not be allowed to accept private gifts.

The Rabbeim are not included in this, they are expected to be tipped separately by each individual parent.
If this is a gift for office staff etc then why send home a note saying that school is collecting for the English teachers? I think it is dishonest to use that money for anything but the teacher. I am sending in $25 thinking it is going to the teacher, who happens to be amazing, and she is getting less than half of it! It is not against the school rule to give the teachers gifts.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 2:04 am
Again, before blowing up at the system, ask what happens to the rest of the money.

Bear in mind that the system seems have been in place for some years, and the teachers are probably very well aware of it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 7:26 am
I'm sure the teachers ARE aware of it. What could they do about it?
ETA: Elfrida, think you're missing my point. I'm not arguing that office staff should or shouldn't get chanukah tips. I also am also not discussing whether some families being able to give more or less is fair.
All I AM saying is it is wrong to collect money saying it is for one thing and then use it for anything else. It should go directly to the teachers. Period.

dankbar

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 8:30 am
Could it be that they collect money, once a year & it also goes towards Purim/End of year tips?

Elfrida

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 8:43 am
I maintain my point. ASK them what happens to the extra money. You may find the staff are completely in agreement with the distribution.

Are you sure this is a secret arrangement that no one else knows about? How did you find out? Maybe it is common knowledge that you just happened to miss until year. And does the phrasing of the request actually that this goes directly and exclusively to the teacher? Maybe you have just misunderstood it in the past?

Quote:
In the meantime, we have decided that we will just give our sons' teachers money directly, since we want to show them hakoras hato

There are a lot of ways to show hakarat hatov rather than just giving money. This method does give rather more consideration than normal to protecting the dignity of both the teacher and the parent body. A well expressed note can show your gratitude at least as well, and would save embarrassing both her and your child, who could be the only one making such a presentation.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 9:34 am
I am the class mother for 2 of my sons and therefore I am the one who makes the phone calls to the parents, collects all the money and then gives it to the school. I found out about how little of it the teachers get because I happen to be friends with a teacher and it came up in conversation. The notes sent home and the phone call scripts clearly state that this is for "your son's Morah or English teacher."
Elfrida, of course there are lots of ways to show hakoras hatov. That has nothing to do with my point that if you say you're collecting for the teachers, it should go to the teachers. If you want to use the money for other things, don't say it is for teachers.
Dankbar, For Purim we collect again for mishloach manos, so this is not being used then.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics