Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Why do some people put an H at the end of an A name?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

nchr

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 1:38 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
"Lea" would be a completely different name, not an alternative spelling.

Do you mean Leigh? She was just saying that Leah is a name that would look odd spelled as Lea probably because of our exposure to the name Leah even though technically people could spell it Lea just like they do Sara, Rivka, etc.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 1:46 pm
Lea is leh-a to me

dankbar

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 1:48 pm
I know a לאה, that does spell her name Lea,
( also as her legal name) but I think it's weird

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 1:51 pm
nchr wrote:
Do you mean Leigh? She was just saying that Leah is a name that would look odd spelled as Lea probably because of our exposure to the name Leah even though technically people could spell it Lea just like they do Sara, Rivka, etc.

I've seen it, though. Notably Lea Michele, of Glee fame; and Lea Thompson, from Back to the Future, and, unfortunately, Howard the Duck.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 1:56 pm
"Lea" has the same meaning as "Leigh", but "Lea" is the correct spelling for the English word.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 2:04 pm
Most common is Lea
I am not sure I know Leah, irl

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 2:08 pm
Maybe that's in France. The most common way to spell Leah in America is with an H. There are some Leas, some Laya, and some others (Laiya, etc)

Brownies

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 2:48 pm
I have a Sarah, just because I prefer how it looks. Superficial as it sounds, that’s the only reason why we spell it Sarah and not Sara. However if I had a Nechama, Dina, Shira, Batya - actually, most other names ending with an “ah” sound - I wouldn’t put the “h” in, for the exact same reason.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 4:56 pm
I find it strange when people put double letters in a name that would sound the same with one letter, like:
Channa
Tzippora
Tehilla

goodmorning

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 5:34 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
I find it strange when people put double letters in a name that would sound the same with one letter, like:
Channa
Tzippora
Tehilla

All of these names contain a dagesh chazak, which indicates a gemination of the letter (a lengthening of the consonant, similar to doubling it). Doubling the letters in English is probably the more accurate way to transcribe them, even if we don't pronounce the words correctly.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 5:46 pm
I have a Bruriah. Never seen the name without an H. I think that would look weird.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 5:48 pm
I once lazily spelled Torah without the H and my normally very mild-mannered principal gave it to me over the head. He considered it disrespectful.

It is a more consistent way to transliterate a word ending in a Heh, and Leah would prove that!

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 5:53 pm
I’m a sarah with an h and personally without an h seems like a Jewish way of writing Suru so I’m glad I have the h

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 5:58 pm
All good points here. Thank you!

Mayflower

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 6:02 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
People do it in English too. Sarah vs Sara is one example. Michael McIntyre has a funny bit on this. https://youtu.be/69UlVQpYwUE

That was really funny, thanks for posting!!

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 6:03 pm
Well, while we're on the topic, my name is Rachel and it drives me mad that there are people who now spell Rachel as Rachael.

I'm pretty sure it's an overgeneralization from the ending of Michael, Raphael, etc. Knowing what I do about about lashon hatorah/ Hebrew, I'm like, "there's no אל at the end of רחל!"

I truly don't care how other people spell their names, but when my name gets misspelled like that too is when it grinds my gears.

DallasIma

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 6:54 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Well, while we're on the topic, my name is Rachel and it drives me mad that there are people who now spell Rachel as Rachael.

I'm pretty sure it's an overgeneralization from the ending of Michael, Raphael, etc. Knowing what I do about about lashon hatorah/ Hebrew, I'm like, "there's no אל at the end of רחל!"

I truly don't care how other people spell their names, but when my name gets misspelled like that too is when it grinds my gears.

And also there are people who spell Michael (male name) as Micheal. That looks so wrong to me. At least most of them don't know there is a female name Michal, though!

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 8:00 pm
Imo Sarah with an h is pronounced the American way, the first syllable rhyming with "fair", like Sair-a.

My dd's name is Sara but for her English name on her birth certificate I put Sarah

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 8:50 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
I’m a sarah with an h and personally without an h seems like a Jewish way of writing Suru so I’m glad I have the h

I've had more than a few non Jewish colleagues named Sarah and almost all spelled it with an h.
When I see the spelling Rachael, I just think the parents' intention was for it to be a biblical namesake.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 8:56 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:

Rachael is English

Rachel is too, but when you see the name Rachael, it's unlikely to be a Rochel
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names