Home

Moderation on the Politics forum
  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  Last >>

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Yael

Post  Wed, Nov 27 2019, 2:52 pm
The Politics forum is a very lively and heated place. Politics in general is an intense topic and now more than ever.

If you prefer an un-moderated forum where you can fight to your hearts content, let me know. It would be very easy to just step back and say do whatever you want but then you no longer have the luxury of complaining when it gets out of hand.

You have all been complaining that you want more moderation and that others shouldn't be allowed to get away with calling names, etc.
My mods have stepped up to the plate and have been working very hard to help out.
as far as I can tell, the moderation that has been done has been very even handed and unbiased. Nobody is perfect but imperfect moderating is a whole lot better than none.

I know that every side sees what they expect to see. I have been accused of biased moderating from different sides about the exact same issue at the exact same time. each side thought I was too biased towards the other side. It was amusing to see how every side thinks they are the victim.

If you are not happy with the way your posts are being moderated then I have some good advice for you. Post in such a way that a mod will never need to edit your post, and you will never have to endure the hardship of being moderated.

I'd like to see some Hakaras Hatov to our mods for volunteering their free time to ensure a civil environment on Imamother to discuss a very heated topic. In the coming year leading up to this election I expect the politics forum to be full of activity and interesting discussions. I expect some passion and excitement and I also expect a civil and respectful tone.

Let's give a hand to our mods for investing so much time and effort to ensure this safe environment where lively discussions can be held without insult.

Applause Applause Applause Applause

ra_mom

Post  Wed, Nov 27 2019, 2:58 pm
Thank you Yael and thank you moderators of the politics forum!!

Ravenclaw

Post  Wed, Nov 27 2019, 5:01 pm
Thank you Yael!
I wish everyone would be more civil in the way they post.
And thank you moderators!

roses

Post  Wed, Nov 27 2019, 5:07 pm
Thank you, Yael. I am in favor of continued, even handed moderation

Cheiny

Post  Wed, Nov 27 2019, 5:10 pm
Yael wrote:
The Politics forum is a very lively and heated place. Politics in general is an intense topic and now more than ever.

If you prefer an un-moderated forum where you can fight to your hearts content, let me know. It would be very easy to just step back and say do whatever you want but then you no longer have the luxury of complaining when it gets out of hand.

You have all been complaining that you want more moderation and that others shouldn't be allowed to get away with calling names, etc.
My mods have stepped up to the plate and have been working very hard to help out.
as far as I can tell, the moderation that has been done has been very even handed and unbiased. Nobody is perfect but imperfect moderating is a whole lot better than none.

I know that every side sees what they expect to see. I have been accused of biased moderating from different sides about the exact same issue at the exact same time. each side thought I was too biased towards the other side. It was amusing to see how every side thinks they are the victim.

If you are not happy with the way your posts are being moderated then I have some good advice for you. Post in such a way that a mod will never need to edit your post, and you will never have to endure the hardship of being moderated.

I'd like to see some Hakaras Hatov to our mods for volunteering their free time to ensure a civil environment on Imamother to discuss a very heated topic. In the coming year leading up to this election I expect the politics forum to be full of activity and interesting discussions. I expect some passion and excitement and I also expect a civil and respectful tone.

Let's give a hand to our mods for investing so much time and effort to ensure this safe environment where lively discussions can be held without insult.

Applause Applause Applause Applause

Thank you to all the volunteers. Are you serious about allowing us a choice to have a separate, unmoderated, unlimited -free speech (of course without breaking imamother rules of personal attacks) re. politicians, etc. forum? Somehow, not being permitted to use the terms “clown,” etc. in reference to a politician seems excessive.

SixOfWands

Post  Wed, Nov 27 2019, 5:22 pm
roses wrote:
Thank you, Yael. I am in favor of continued, even handed moderation

I don't want moderation so much as I want consequences.

There have been vicious attacks on posters, including regular attacks stating that people cannot be religious if they hold certain political views. All that removing such posts does is give the posters deniability -- if you can't find it, they never said it, and they can pretend to be pure as the driven snow until the next rabid attack. Rather, I support other sanctions.

roses

Post  Wed, Nov 27 2019, 6:24 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

There have been vicious attacks on posters, including regular attacks stating that people cannot be religious if they hold certain political views. All that removing such posts does is give the posters deniability -- if you can't find it, they never said it, and they can pretend to be pure as the driven snow until the next rabid attack. Rather, I support other sanctions.

This is true.
I agree with this as well.
Unrepentant repeated offenders should be kept off of the forum. I don't think posters should have carte blanche to lob personal attacks and rely on a moderator to clean up their mess without repercussions. There needs to be more personal accountability.

simcha2

Post  Wed, Nov 27 2019, 6:25 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

I'm with Six on this.

Personally I would like to see a moderator comment while leaving the original text.

So when someone writes "simcha2 is mentally ill" there would be a moderator comment. Something like "this violated imamother rules (personal attack) "

Then if someone is getting a lot of violations there are publicized consequences.
Simcha2 has been banned from the politics thread for one week for 5 personal attacks.

All out in the open.

Cheiny

Post  Wed, Nov 27 2019, 6:26 pm
roses wrote:
This is true.
I agree with this as well.
Unrepentant repeated offenders should be kept off of the forum. I don't think posters should have carte blanche to lob personal attacks and rely on a moderator to clean up their mess without repercussions. There needs to be more personal accountability.

How about the type of repentance Liz Warren has done? Good enough?

Rubber Ducky

Post  Wed, Nov 27 2019, 6:54 pm
simcha2 wrote:
...Personally I would like to see a moderator comment while leaving the original text...

How about if a Mod hides the offensive section of a reported post?
Hidden: 

simcha2 is mentally ill

But adds a comment:
Simcha2 has been banned from the politics thread for one week for 3 personal attacks. — Rubber Ducky as Mod

I do think vulgarities and obscenities should be edited out, not just hidden.

simcha2

Post  Wed, Nov 27 2019, 6:59 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
How about if a Mod hides the offensive section of a reported post?
Hidden: 

simcha2 is mentally ill

But adds a comment:
Simcha2 has been banned from the politics thread for one week for 3 personal attacks. — Rubber Ducky as Mod

I do think vulgarities and obscenities should be edited out, not just hidden.

I'd be fine with that. Although I say leave in the vulgarities and obscenities. In my experience they say much more about the person posting than the person being posted about.

Jeanette

Post  Wed, Nov 27 2019, 7:09 pm
I still hold that moderators shouldn't post in the forums they moderate. There is a concept of אין עד נעשה דיין. You simply cannot be objective when you're part of the action. It has nothing to do with which side of the partisan divide you're on. It's just a matter of choosing which hat you want to wear.

roses

Post  Wed, Nov 27 2019, 7:13 pm
simcha2 wrote:
I'd be fine with that. Although I say leave in the vulgarities and obscenities. In my experience they say much more about the person posting than the person being posted about.

I agree with leaving in the vulgarities and obscenities, in addition to the moderators comments, and of course stated consequences. Let it all be seen.

small bean

Post  Wed, Nov 27 2019, 7:20 pm
Am I the only one who thinks we dont need any moderation?

I think some conversation is childish and some arguments are silly, but why can't we be civil?

The idea that a political thread needs moderation is just sad.

And lastly thank you moderators for doing a thankless job. Whatever you do people will complain.

PinkFridge

Post  Wed, Nov 27 2019, 7:49 pm
A few thoughts:
1. As a frum site, I think moderating is always in order.
2. Keeping in the offensive stuff - I'm of two minds. If it's going to be done, hide it. If it's really offensive or triggering (moderators, use your judgment) and/or it's clear that the poster wants it removed, remove it.
3. As far as moderators not being allowed to post, I guess I hear that but then again, I wouldn't want to moderate a forum that I had no interest in. I will aver that anyone asked to be a moderator is presumed to have what it takes to be able to post with integrity in a forum she moderates.

southernbubby

Post  Wed, Nov 27 2019, 7:51 pm
Two, four, six, eight, who do we appreciate?

The moderaters!

#BestBubby

Post  Wed, Nov 27 2019, 9:27 pm
small bean wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks we dont need any moderation?

I think some conversation is childish and some arguments are silly, but why can't we be civil?

The idea that a political thread needs moderation is just sad.

And lastly thank you moderators for doing a thankless job. Whatever you do people will complain.

I agree with No Moderation. If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Even though I was "attacked" I never complained or asked for a thread to be locked.

I am from the older generation and not a crybaby snowflake.

Lesia

Post  Wed, Nov 27 2019, 9:33 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
I agree with No Moderation. If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Even though I was "attacked" I never complained or asked for a thread to be locked.

I am from the older generation and not a crybaby snowflake.

Hidden: 

If you would cry about being attacked, that would probably win the hypocrisy award of the year.
Personal attack hidden by Rubber Ducky as Mod, trying out her skills as a petty bureaucrat (yes, this post was reported)

I agree with SixofWands.

Laiya

Post  Wed, Nov 27 2019, 9:37 pm
Lesia wrote:
If you would cry about being attacked, that would probably win the hypocrisy award of the year.

Perfect example of why it's difficult to moderate personal attacks beyond very specific rules, such as No profanity or whatever. Is the above a personal attack? Scratching Head Because it sure seems like one to me

Cheiny

Post  Wed, Nov 27 2019, 9:40 pm
How’s this for personal attacks?

MSNBC Contributor Malcolm Nance Compares Trump Supporters To ISIS

https://bluntforcetruth.com/ne.....ideo/

Last edited by Cheiny on Wed, Nov 27 2019, 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 9 View latest: 24h 48h 72h