Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Who can help me make heads or tails out of this NYS
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 12:13 am
my kids were unvaxxed till this year and now were catching them up cuz of the new law in nys but e/o is so confused about the new law. school doesn't know what doh wants and doctors saying different. today I spoke to the secretary at the doc's office for 15 min as we both vented. she spoke about how much time she spends on the phone with doh to clarify what they want and I spoke about how e/o is trying to cover their a$$es and not coordinatiing with each other which leaves my kids as the korbanos here. but enough complaining

I need help with what do they need next?
they are above age 7 and got a tdap, polio, hep b in sept.
now 2 months later they got dtap, another polio and hep b.
secretary said they need another round in 4 weeks but based on these links it's not true. polio needs 6 months and hep b needs 8 weeks. when I told her she said no problem but heres where I need help: the dtap/tdap/td is making me confused. if you can figure out what the requirements are based on these two links I will appreciate it a lot.

https://www.health.ny.gov/publ.....0.pdf

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/s......html

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 12:18 am
The catch up schedule is not in line with ACIP and CDC. Its not a safe schedule and the DOH doesnt really care but will fine if not doing vaccines according to this new schedule.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 12:19 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
The catch up schedule is not in line with ACIP and CDC. Its not a safe schedule and the DOH doesnt really care but will fine if not doing vaccines according to this new schedule.

I linked the catchup schedule that doh links to, they say to follow cdc catchup schedule. I need practical help here so please stick to that , more venting wont really help me right now even though this whole situation sucks big time.

Sebastian

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 12:20 am
Kids get dtap. Adults get trap. Td is just tetanus and diptheria.
Both dtap and tdap protect against the same diseases, it's just formulated differently for kids vs adults

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 12:21 am
Sebastian wrote:
Both dtap and tdap protect against the same diseases, it's just formulated differently for kids vs adults

I know that. btw kids above 7 get tdap too . none of this is helpful in figuring out what they need next to be up to date. not trying to shoot you down but im frustrated by not getting clear answers from doctor, doh, school.

Sebastian

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 12:22 am
If they're above age 7 they get only 3 rounds so its 4 weeks btw rounds 1 and 2 and 2 and 3.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 12:23 am
Sebastian wrote:

If they're above age 7 they get only 3 rounds so its 4 weeks btw rounds 1 and 2 and 2 and 3.

they get tdap 3 times separated by a interval of 4 weeks? and it says on cdc catchup chart:
4 weeks between dose 1 and 2
if first dose of DTaP/DT was administered before the 1st birthday.
6 months (as final dose) between dose 2 and 3
if first dose of DTaP/DT or Tdap/Td was administered at or after the 1st birthday

I thought it says they can get td? why did my doctor give first time tdap and second time dtap?

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 12:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know that. btw kids above 7 get tdap too . none of this is helpful in figuring out what they need next to be up to date. not trying to shoot you down but im frustrated by not getting clear answers from doctor, doh, school.

Jane Zucker, head of DOH, said over 7 the kids get TDAP and TD and its only 1 tdap. They should not even get a dtap.

Sebastian

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 12:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
they get tdap 3 times separated by a interval of 4 weeks? I thought it says they can get td? why did my doctor give first time tdap and second time dtap?

4 weeks btw doses 1 and 2
4 weeks btw doses 2 and 3
Done with dtap/tdap

Ask your dr.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 12:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I linked the catchup schedule that doh links to, they say to follow cdc catchup schedule. I need practical help here so please stick to that , more venting wont really help me right now even though this whole situation sucks big time.

Sorry, this wasnt meant to be a vent. I understood that you are getting conflicting answers. The reason why is because 1 person knows the catch up requirements in order for your kids to stay in school and the other knows what ACIP requirements are. You mentioned one vaccine shouldnt be repeated until 6m later, but catch up schedule doesnt follow that rule.

Is that more clear? Didnt meant to upset you, really.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 12:27 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Jane Zucker, head of DOH, said over 7 the kids get TDAP and TD. They should not even get a dtap.

yay. they already got dtap I think it was pediarix. maybe my doctor was out of tdap/td? what do they need now?

Sebastian

Sorry, this wasnt meant to be a vent. I understood that you are getting conflicting answers. The reason why is because 1 person knows the catch up requirements in order for your kids to stay in school and the other knows what ACIP requirements are. You mentioned one vaccine shouldnt be repeated until 6m later, but catch up schedule doesnt follow that rule.

Her kids are older so they dont need the doses that get separated by 6 mo.

amother
OP

Sebastian wrote:
4 weeks btw doses 1 and 2
4 weeks btw doses 2 and 3
Done with dtap/tdap

Ask your dr.

where do you see this info? my doc doesnt know what new law is.

Sebastian

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 12:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
where do you see this info? my doc doesnt know what new law is.

It's on the first link you posted.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 12:28 am

I said this based on the cdc catchup chart. where are you getting your info from?

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 12:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
yay. they already got dtap I think it was pediarix. maybe my doctor was out of tdap/td? what do they need now?

Shame because as per Jane Zucker, the 1 TDAP counts as the 6th grade requirement. Its 1 TDAP and 2 TDs. There is a document with footnotes from DOH stating the requirements

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 12:31 am
Sebastian wrote:
It's on the first link you posted.

I copied and pasted here

. Diphtheria and tetanus toxoids and acellular pertussis (DTaP) vaccine.
(Minimum age: 6 weeks)
a. Children starting the series on time should receive a 5-dose series of
DTaP vaccine at 2 months, 4 months, 6 months and at 15 through 18
months and at 4 years or older. The fourth dose may be received as early
as age 12 months, provided at least 6 months have elapsed since the
third dose. However, the fourth dose of DTaP need not be repeated if it
was administered at least 4 months after the third dose of DTaP. The final
dose in the series must be received on or after the fourth birthday.
b. If the fourth dose of DTaP was administered at 4 years or older, the fifth
(booster) dose of DTaP vaccine is not required.
c. For children born before 1/1/2005, only immunity to diphtheria is
required and doses of DT and Td can meet this requirement.
d. Children 7 years and older who are not fully immunized with the childhood
DTaP vaccine series should receive Tdap vaccine as the first dose in the
catch-up series; if additional doses are needed, use Td vaccine. If the first
dose was received before their first birthday, then 4 doses are required,
as long as the final dose was received at 4 years or older. If the first dose
was received on or after the first birthday, then 3 doses are required, as
long as the final dose was received at 4 years or older. A Tdap vaccine (or
incorrectly administered DTaP vaccine)

where do you see here intervals?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 12:32 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Shame because as per Jane Zucker, the 1 TDAP counts as the 6th grade requirement. Its 1 TDAP and 2 TDs. There is a document with footnotes from DOH stating the requirements

can the dtap count instead of 1 td?
now they need one td? in how many weeks?

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 12:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I said this based on the cdc catchup chart. where are you getting your info from?

I dont have the sources in front of me but I know this was a big deal for a lot of my friends (we dont vax and they didnt either or some still dont). Those who chose to do catch up schedule said some of their Drs werent comfortable following it because it doesnt seem safe to get so many in such a short amount of time. I heard these first hand. I also heard that DOH came to check on schools to make sure the families were really sticking to the schedule. People who wanted to or did indeed go ahead and vaccinate, did or do not feel comfortable because its one thing to do it according the the regular guidelines & another thing to go according to a mandate that is put in place with nothing backing up its safety, as it was never done before.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 12:35 am
btw thanks everyone for trying to help me figure this out. the hep b and polio I was able to figure out on the chart but tdap/dtap/td is making me really confused and im a smart person so if I cant get this how does anyone else???
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics