Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Who can help me make heads or tails out of this NYS
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 12:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
can the dtap count instead of 1 td?
now they need one td? in how many weeks?

I believe it can

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 12:37 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
I dont have the sources in front of me but I know this was a big deal for a lot of my friends (we dont vax and they didnt either or some still dont). Those who chose to do catch up schedule said some of their Drs werent comfortable following it because it doesnt seem safe to get so many in such a short amount of time. I heard these first hand. I also heard that DOH came to check on schools to make sure the families were really sticking to the schedule. People who wanted to or did indeed go ahead and vaccinate, did or do not feel comfortable because its one thing to do it according the the regular guidelines & another thing to go according to a mandate that is put in place with nothing backing up its safety, as it was never done before.

I heard all this rhetoric already its coming out of my ears and nose. im so fed up. the whole situation is beyond ridiculous everyone having a different agenda and im stuck in middle. now all I need is clear answers and I still didnt get them yet.
I must have sources because when the school calls me that they need next round, I need to be able to show them that I have the facts and the source to prove it for when they really need the next dose. like what happened with hep b, they said 4 weeks but when I said no it says 8 weeks, she shut up cuz she saw I knew what I'm talking about

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 12:40 am
[quote="amother [ Orange ]"]I believe it can[/quote
but my question is now what is the minimum interval needed till next dose?

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 1:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I heard all this rhetoric already its coming out of my ears and nose. im so fed up. the whole situation is beyond ridiculous everyone having a different agenda and im stuck in middle. now all I need is clear answers and I still didnt get them yet.
I must have sources because when the school calls me that they need next round, I need to be able to show them that I have the facts and the source to prove it for when they really need the next dose. like what happened with hep b, they said 4 weeks but when I said no it says 8 weeks, she shut up cuz she saw I knew what I'm talking about

I hear what you are saying.. makes sense. Probably best thing is to find the catch up schedule that was put out with the mandate so that you can use it as a 'checklist' whenever you receive the phone calls.

Good luck!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 1:44 am
Pediarix= combined DTaP+HepB+polio as a single injection

Op, your best bet is probably speaking with an infectious disease Dr and coming up with a catch up plan that makes sense for your kids ages etc

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 7:22 am
I had an issue with that vaccine too. One dr in the practice refused to give it to my son because he had had enough doses. He said he would send a letter to the school who was badgering me for the missing booster. I called the dr office back for the letter they never sent and I spoke to the other dr in the practice who said I need to come back because he DOES need another booster. It was a whole runaround with the school threatening to kick me out over this final vaccine.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 7:27 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
I hear what you are saying.. makes sense. Probably best thing is to find the catch up schedule that was put out with the mandate so that you can use it as a 'checklist' whenever you receive the phone calls.

Good luck!

that's what I posted in my op but I dont understand it!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 7:30 am
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Pediarix= combined DTaP+HepB+polio as a single injection

Op, your best bet is probably speaking with an infectious disease Dr and coming up with a catch up plan that makes sense for your kids ages etc

I know what pediarix is. my kids need all vaccines now within the year so you can bet I want to combine some in one injection. even though doctor didnt ask me but im happy thats what he did. my kids are suffering enough. how many times would you inject your kid?
of course it's my best bet but not the school nor the doh will agree to that. no individualized plans here. e/o needs to follow their catchup plan to the letter of the law. one thing thats off and the school will get a fine. the doctors in my kids practice told me they dont know the new law and even the secretary said she spoke to doh so many times to try to understand what they want and she gets different answers each time.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 7:30 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I had an issue with that vaccine too. One dr in the practice refused to give it to my son because he had had enough doses. He said he would send a letter to the school who was badgering me for the missing booster. I called the dr office back for the letter they never sent and I spoke to the other dr in the practice who said I need to come back because he DOES need another booster. It was a whole runaround with the school threatening to kick me out over this final vaccine.

did you come to any final answer to this that could help me?

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 7:42 am
You are correct that dose 2 to dose 3 of Hep B needs 8 weeks. Please be aware that you also need a space of 16 weeks from dose 1 to dose 3. So make sure you have a 16 week gap. Part of this quick catching up is that you may not be giving enough intervals between vaccines.

Regarding Tdap/Td:
If your 7 year old got the Pediarix, they got the Dtap, not the Tdap, which they should have gotten. (Pediarix is approved UNTIL age 7). Maybe they gave it anyway because they figured it will give enough immunity and this way there will be less needles for your kids.

The catch up recommendation used to be Tdap followed by Td. However from what I recall, I believe that recently changed. and you can give Tdap followed by Tdap. I don't remember if it's 3 doses that are needed at this age? I don't deal with it so much because most kids are up to date at this point, although we have come across this a few times in our practice.

I'm surprised the secretary clearly doesn't know the catch up schedule. Maybe print it out for her online and bring it in next time you come in so she can have it handy for other kids in this position.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 8:41 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
You are correct that dose 2 to dose 3 of Hep B needs 8 weeks. Please be aware that you also need a space of 16 weeks from dose 1 to dose 3. So make sure you have a 16 week gap. Part of this quick catching up is that you may not be giving enough intervals between vaccines.

Regarding Tdap/Td:
If your 7 year old got the Pediarix, they got the Dtap, not the Tdap, which they should have gotten. (Pediarix is approved UNTIL age 7). Maybe they gave it anyway because they figured it will give enough immunity and this way there will be less needles for your kids.

The catch up recommendation used to be Tdap followed by Td. However from what I recall, I believe that recently changed. and you can give Tdap followed by Tdap. I don't remember if it's 3 doses that are needed at this age? I don't deal with it so much because most kids are up to date at this point, although we have come across this a few times in our practice.

I'm surprised the secretary clearly doesn't know the catch up schedule. Maybe print it out for her online and bring it in next time you come in so she can have it handy for other kids in this position.
I know that about hep b. thanks. they had 2 months space between dose 1 and dose 2 so were covered with the 16 weeks I think.
my kid got tdap at first appt but next appt was pediarix which is dtap. I think doc did it cuz they also needed another hep b and polio and cuz they already had a tdap so dtap would be fine. but he might not be right because if doh doesnt agree with it, my kids will need another injection anyway. thats the problem when doc makes own calculations w/o knowing the requirements that doh is insisting e/o follow. I need to know how many doses and of which kind they need for school in the category of dtap/tdap/td.
the secretary doesnt know anything. she said her computer has a system which automatically generates the next due date but when I told her about hep b between dose 2 and 3 , she saw I knew what im talking about so she got quiet. she didnt look into it, just took my word for it cuz I sounded confident. im imagining someone who doesnt know the law and just goes along with what her computer said, poor kids, doh will say its not good and they need another one! if the doctors dont know the new law, what do you expect from secretaries??? two docs in this practice told me, we know what cdc reccommends, we dont know what doh and doe require for school attendance. for example with mmr, doc recommends a second mmr but school is ok with positive titers showing theyre immune. doctor didnt care to hear about titers , every time I come in he still wants to give another mmr but I need to protect my kids now and give them only what they must have right now for school , I'll worry about a second mmr in a few years when this whole business is settled down

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 8:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know what pediarix is. my kids need all vaccines now within the year so you can bet I want to combine some in one injection. even though doctor didnt ask me but im happy thats what he did. my kids are suffering enough. how many times would you inject your kid?
of course it's my best bet but not the school nor the doh will agree to that. no individualized plans here. e/o needs to follow their catchup plan to the letter of the law. one thing thats off and the school will get a fine. the doctors in my kids practice told me they dont know the new law and even the secretary said she spoke to doh so many times to try to understand what they want and she gets different answers each time.

Your kids are suffering enough and you're dealing with this now because you didnt vaccinate them properly to begin with !!

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 9:12 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Your kids are suffering enough and you're dealing with this now because you didnt vaccinate them properly to begin with !!

And she did so in perfect accordance of the law and her knowledge as the mother of her children. And now she is trying to follow the new law and still protect her children. Is that so difficult to accept?? People like you are the reason it is such a polarized topic because you don't allow for a normal civil discussion, only insults and gloating over others' difficulty. Op was respectful and factual, you are insensitive and cruel.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 9:16 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
gee thanks I love you.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 9:27 am
all you smart ladies out there
or any nurses here
or any school admins or secretaries here
or anyone working in public health
please help me figure this out!!!
do they need another tdap or is dtap or td fine? in how many weeks?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 10:44 am
I'm not being deliberately difficult, I need help! can someone guide me to be in compliance of law?

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 10:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
all you smart ladies out there
or any nurses here
or any school admins or secretaries here
or anyone working in public health
please help me figure this out!!!
do they need another tdap or is dtap or td fine? in how many weeks?

I am a nurse, and I deal with vaccines. That's how I knew the previous info (spacing bet Hep B). However you have to understand that we don't come across this situation frequently and that's why we are not so familiar. Like I said previously, I believe the recommendation of Tdap followed by Td recently changed to Tdap followed by Tdap, but I would have to check when I'm back at work. I believe it's a total series of 3. I know we did deal with this recently with a new immigrant that had to be immunized.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 11:02 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm not being deliberately difficult, I need help! can someone guide me to be in compliance of law?

That’s where an ID doc comes into the picture

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 11:21 am
I'm just reading this I can see that the recommendations change all the time and there is no communication in between different agencies. How insane. And the new law does not take into account the safety of the children receiving this new schedule.
So scientific

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 11:22 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
I am a nurse, and I deal with vaccines. That's how I knew the previous info (spacing bet Hep B). However you have to understand that we don't come across this situation frequently and that's why we are not so familiar. Like I said previously, I believe the recommendation of Tdap followed by Td recently changed to Tdap followed by Tdap, but I would have to check when I'm back at work. I believe it's a total series of 3. I know we did deal with this recently with a new immigrant that had to be immunized.

thanks if you can find out for me and post when you have the info I will appreciate it very much
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics