Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Who is making Thanksgiving dinner?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 10:52 am
I grew up with parents who were holocaust survivors, and Yeshivish, so we never celebrated Thanksgiving. When my father was niftar, and some of us were adults, my mother began making a dinner on Thanksgiving in order for us to get together as a family. I continue this till today, since we are off from work, and enjoy getting together for an afternoon, without the hassle of putting up families such as on Yom Tov.
Please respond and include whether you are Chassidish, Yeshivish, or MO.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 10:54 am
My kids want turkey so we're having a roasted turkey breast, cranberry wild rice and pumpkin pie.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 10:56 am
We go to my in laws.

We are somewhere in between Right wing MO and yeshivish (a mixture!). We live in Lakewood.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 11:12 am
We go to DH's family for Thanksgiving, either to his parents or to an aunt and uncle. Everybody who comes contributes to the meal so it's not too much work for the hosts. It's nice to get together for a family meal when everyone can drive there and everyone is relaxed because they're off from work and school. We usually start around 4 PM so we can enjoy a leisurely meal but not get home too late.

MO

westchestermom

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 11:34 am
I make the whole meal every year for my husband's family, about 12 people usually. 20 pound turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, homemade gravy and stuffing from a box with fresh veggies.

Simple1

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 11:46 am
There's plenty of Seudas between Shabbos and Yom Tov. So no thank you, I need this long break from Sukkos to Purim! And many of us don't get off on legal holidays anyways. Some families use Sunday Chanukah as an opportunity to get together. (We live in a Yeshivish community.)

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 12:17 pm
bt/jpf

not originally from the us so I only prepare a thanksgiving style dinner for immediate family atthis point.no extra work included

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 12:20 pm
We are!

groisamomma

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 12:22 pm
Nope. I love my day off. My Thanksgicvng pleasure is taking them out for lunch or bringing them iced coffee and a treat.

heidi

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 1:33 pm
We always had a Thanksgiving dinner Friday night. Who needs to do all that extra work right before shabbos?
Live in Israel but always do Fri night Thanksgiving dinner with friends

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 1:38 pm
We don’t do a Thanksgiving dinner. I didn’t grow up with it either. My sister makes one. This year we are doing a Rosh Chodesh Dinner. My DH will order dinner and bring it home with him after work. He has his own business and is not off today.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 2:09 pm
Shortly after getting married, I made T-day dinner just to prove that I could. Like many other things including various forms of needlework and making challah and strudel from scratch (not commercial phyllo or puff pastry dough) having once proven competence, I never felt the need to do it again. Serving a big festive meal on Thursday night, only to do so again on Friday night, makes no sense to me. Besides, for our Yeshivish sons, it’s a regular day in Beis Medrash.

For many years I would cook the traditional T-day meal and serve it on Shabbos. Now that my supermarket no longer has sales on kosher turkeys, ever, I don’t bother.

Happily for us, a relative invited us this year to their Tday dinner. I’m bringing the traditional cranberry sauce and baked butternut squash. It’s a great opportunity for the extended family to get together.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 2:24 pm
I guess we're sort of MO, with some Chassidish flavoring, lol. I'm a giyoret, and my DH is a BT, currently pregnant with our first. We aren't close to his family, and traveling to my family while keeping Kosher is not worth the hassle, IMO/IME. The Chinese place is going to make our dinner:)

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 2:26 pm
Not me. Yeshivish. But I often make one seasonal thing just for fun, this year it was pumpkin muffins.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 2:47 pm
We are MO and we are going to my in-laws' house where the meal will be non-kosher. We make our own meal and bring it with us. Sliced turkey, cranberry sauce, green beans, and some candy for dessert for the kids. We also double foil wrap potatoes and bake them in the oven there.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 3:00 pm
Not me. If anyone invites me I'll gladly join!
None of us grew up with it and like other posters said I'm not interested in making a big dinner Thursday night and then again Friday and shabbos.
I'm not against the idea I just don't want to cook.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 3:06 pm
Rabbi Avigder Miller ztl said that jews celebrating Thanksgiving especially with a Turkey dinner is like avoda zara.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 3:08 pm
We do Thanksgiving every year, always have. I went to Bais Yackov schools as did my kids. But I always kept them out of school on Thanksgiving. We are several generations American.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 3:12 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Rabbi Avigder Miller ztl said that jews celebrating Thanksgiving especially with a Turkey dinner is like avoda zara.

There has been quite a range of opinions regarding Thanksgiving: https://ohr.edu/this_week/insi...../6105

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 4:02 pm
Me. I love Thanksgiving. I love that it is celebrated by people of all religions. I love being able to travel and watch football. I love my family traditions. I love making my nana’s Turkey. I love listening to Alice’s Restaurant. I love it all.

Apart from here, I don’t know anyone who doesn’t do Thanksgiving.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics