Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Do you have a good onion dip recipe?

smile12345

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 1:23 pm
Please share!

Thanks

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 1:47 pm
I do this: Finely dice 2 onions and 1 head of garlic. Put in an approx 9-inch pan and mix with 3/8 cup olive oil, and a healthy shake of salt, pepper, and paprika and parsley if you'd like. Bake at 375 F, stirring occasionally, until soft and brown. (At the end, as the liquid dries, the edges tend to burn -- watch it more carefully then.)
Sometimes I leave out the garlic if I am lazy. I like to pulse the onion in my food processor if I have it out for something else. I don't really measure the oil anymore.

But that's not a "classic" mayo based dip.

smile12345

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 3:40 pm
Thanks!

I was thinking more along the lines of the traditional mayo type, though maybe will try this one as well.

Amarante

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 3:54 pm
This is Ina Garten’s recipe and the secret is the caramelized onion. You don’t want them to burn so lo heat is necessary

Barefoot Contessa Onion Dip

2 large yellow onions
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup good mayonnaise
Cut the onions in half, and then slice them into 1/8-inch-thick half-rounds. (You will have about 3 cups of onions.)

Heat the butter and oil in a large sauté pan on medium heat. Add the onions, cayenne, salt, and pepper and sauté for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 more minutes, until the onions are browned and caramelized. Allow the onions to cool.

Place the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat until smooth. Add the onions and mix well. Taste for seasonings.

Serve at room temperature.

smile12345

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 3:56 pm
Amarante wrote:
This is Ina Garten’s recipe and the secret is the caramelized onion. You don’t want them to burn so lo heat is necessary

Barefoot Contessa Onion Dip

2 large yellow onions
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup good mayonnaise
Cut the onions in half, and then slice them into 1/8-inch-thick half-rounds. (You will have about 3 cups of onions.)

Heat the butter and oil in a large sauté pan on medium heat. Add the onions, cayenne, salt, and pepper and sauté for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 more minutes, until the onions are browned and caramelized. Allow the onions to cool.

Place the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat until smooth. Add the onions and mix well. Taste for seasonings.

Serve at room temperature.

This sounds yum, thank so much. Problem is I wanted it for Friday night so can't be dairy Sad Sorry, I should have specified it.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 4:04 pm
Dice an entire bag of onions. Sauté in oil. Once clear , allow to caramalize a bit and add, sweet paprika, drop of salt . Let cool. Once cooled completely , drain most of the oil out of the onions and stir in small amount of mayo into the onions.

Amarante

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 4:32 pm
smile12345 wrote:
This sounds yum, thank so much. Problem is I wanted it for Friday night so can't be dairy Sad Sorry, I should have specified it.

It is delicious but it is dairy and I thought of that when I posted but then I figured it would be out there in case anyone could use dairy.

However you could substitute pareve sour cream. Is there a pareve cream cheese? Mayo is probably too sweet to sub completely for the sour cream and cream cheese which are a bit sour.

ruby slippers

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 3:57 pm
Bump this.. I made a dip with caramelized onion, mayo, garlic, some lemon juice and olive oil. Tasted ok- but nothing like the dips I buy.... it's like one secret ingredient is missing....

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 3:58 pm
eema1 wrote:
Bump this.. I made a dip with caramelized onion, mayo, garlic, some lemon juice and olive oil. Tasted ok- but nothing like the dips I buy.... it's like one secret ingredient is missing....
sugar?

smile12345

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 4:03 pm
I ended up trying out this one and I've made it several times since, was a big hit: https://jamiegeller.com/recipe.....-dip/

fiji

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 4:56 pm
Sugar

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 5:11 pm
Around Y"T time I remember that someone posted an exact recipe for onion dip that included sugar, salt, mayonnaise. Anybody remember or know where I can find it? I was thinking of trying it for dh.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 5:33 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Around Y"T time I remember that someone posted an exact recipe for onion dip that included sugar, salt, mayonnaise. Anybody remember or know where I can find it? I was thinking of trying it for dh.

Is this it?

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....60726

Shmoms post.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 5:35 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Is this it?

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....60726

Shmoms post.

Yes! Thank you so much Mommyg8!

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 5:36 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Yes! Thank you so much Mommyg8!

It's nice to give back! You've helped us so many times, so thank YOU ra_mom!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 5:37 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
It's nice to give back! You've helped us so many times, so thank YOU ra_mom!

I really didn't think anybody would remember - you made my day by finding it for me, and so quickly! Very Happy

shmosmom

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 5:39 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Yup that was mine Smile it's the go to onion dip in this house but lately I've been a bit lazy to make it.. there's seasons around here. Now it's a roasted pepper dip and a hot tomato dip most weeks and sometimes jalapeno.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 5:40 pm
shmosmom wrote:
Yup that was mine Smile it's the go to onion dip in this house but lately I've been a bit lazy to make it.. there's seasons around here. Now it's a roasted pepper dip and a hot tomato dip most weeks and sometimes jalapeno.

Thanks so much for the recipe shmosmom! I am looking forward to making it! Smile

rachel0615

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 6:29 pm
I sauteed one or two onions till yummy and golden. Let cool and mix with some mayo. Add garlic powder onion powder salt and some sugar. My husband is obsessed with it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics