Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Public Service Announcement regarding Purim
1  2  3  4  Next

shalhevet

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 9:05 am
Dear Ladies,

There seems to be some confusion around here. Drunken Smile Who has already sewn costumes for each of her 12 children? Drunken Smile Who has bought the most unique Shaloch Monos ever? Drunken Smile Who has made an appointment at the bank to ask for an extra $2K to fund it all? Drunken Smile

I know you are all an organized bunch, but there are two Adars this year.Drunken Smile Meaning you have ten weeks to Purim and not just six. Drunken Smile

So, enjoy, and no panicking. Clown Clown Clown

That was a public service announcement.

Oh, and that means Pesach is still wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off too. So curl up with a cup of coffee and a good book. Eat, drink and be merry because in two months we start working. Salut

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 9:12 am
doncha know it's FUN to celebrate all adar
Drunken Smile Clown Drunken Smile Clown Drunken Smile Clown Drunken Smile Clown Drunken Smile Clown Drunken Smile Clown
Drunken Smile Clown Drunken Smile Clown Drunken Smile Clown Drunken Smile Clown Drunken Smile Clown Drunken Smile Clown

both of them Mr. Green

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 9:13 am
Yes, but it IS on a Friday... which means rush rush rush LOL

Ima'la

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 9:15 am
I second greenfire and Kmelion.

Harumph, Grinchevet!
(Pardon the reference! Wink )

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 10:16 am
this year I am iyh dressing up my gorgeous goldilocks as a girl. all I need to find is a cheap frumpy dress, pink shoes, white tights, a heairband and stick on earrings. I can do it all in 2 days. esp since it's friday I dont tink I'll make a big deal. (I cant wait for everyone to ask me "WHy didnt you dress her up? Very Happy)

I dont patchke with themes so I just have to come up with one or two kinds of cookies and bake them. I send less than 10 shlach monos.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 10:39 am
For those of you looking for fancy kind of clothes, why not go to your local Gemach/Salvation Army/Goodwill?

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 12:14 pm
This year I am only allowed to give out one shaloch monos and am not allowed to receive any. The purim seudah will have to be a quiet dinner with no music. Several of my good friends are also availim and we can't exchange shaloch manos with each other. Sad

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 3:22 pm
Shalhevet, I know your PSA was totally in jest. And it was cute. But I wanted to say that smart, busy women really do need to plan ahead.

Its wise to think and plan now for Purim. What's wrong with sewing costumes already? It can be done now without stress or pressure - who needs more of that in their life.

The women who plan now won't face crowded stores or sold out costumes. We'll be sipping coffee on 13 Adar while the non-planners will be up till 2:00 a.m. cooking, assembling shaloch manos, sewing costumes, etc.

I don't call advanced planning panicking, I call it an erev yom tov stress-reliever. But if its not your style, then that's OK too.

(Same goes for Pesach, BTW! )

sarahd

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 5:04 pm
southernbubby wrote:
This year I am only allowed to give out one shaloch monos and am not allowed to receive any.

How do you keep from receiving any? Are you allowed to partake in the mishloach manos given to the whole family? (I am going to ask my rov about this, and I have to find out what to do about the seuda, but I wonder if you know about this.)

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 5:18 pm
good idea kmelion. I'll checkour local bazaars (but they don have purim costumses till closer to purim)

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 8:18 pm
I bought costumes on ebay before the non jewish chugga for pennies. its pooh, tiger, and piglet and making a picnic theme, I have a cute poem already and love doing these things

justanothermother

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 8:30 pm
I find it useful to plan ahead of time. With a cute theme, I can spend a fraction of what others may spend to try and make their shaloch manos look good. I can keep my eyes open for sales of items that fit in my theme instead of a last minute rush looking through sold out supplies trying to find what I need. I keep a Purim list and if an idea strikes me any time during the year I write it down. After Chanuka I start to weed out the ideas and choose the one best suited to my children's taste and the availablity of needed items.

gonewiththewind

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 9:35 pm
btMOMtoFFBs wrote:
But I wanted to say that smart, busy women really do need to plan ahead.

I guess that makes me a stupid, bored woman.
Crying

Actually, my motto is smart, busy women SIMPLIFY
You don't need to plan so much and work so hard if you don't bother with themes and hand-sewn costumes and fancy menus. If you enjoy doing that stuff, more power to you. I don't, and I amvery happy that way

Yakira

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 11:10 pm
I dunno -- I'm feeling good if I can get Shabbos plas down pat before Thursday -- Purim is going to wait until at LEAST R"C Adar II for me to start planning.

Maybe things will be different when I have a houseful of kids, iyh, but I actually do my best work under pressure.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 11:33 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
good idea kmelion. I'll checkour local bazaars (but they don have purim costumses till closer to purim)

Why buy specifically a Purim costume? If you're dressing SM as a little girl all you need is a dress, socks and Mary-Jane shoes... none of those are 'costume' items.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 11:35 pm
sarahd wrote:
How do you keep from receiving any? Are you allowed to partake in the mishloach manos given to the whole family? (I am going to ask my rov about this, and I have to find out what to do about the seuda, but I wonder if you know about this.)

I believe the way it works is she personally is not allowed to receive - she cannot answer the door on Purim, etc. But other family members can.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 11:57 pm
Sarahd, if someone gives my dh, who is the only other person home, I am allowed to eat some of it. They just can't make me the recipient. Truth is, I need that junk food like a hole in the head.

mumoo

Post Fri, Jan 11 2008, 12:02 am
People who know will address the package to the 'Plony Children', rather than Rabbi and Mrs. Plony, or hand it to the father or children if hand delivering.

Crayon210

Post Fri, Jan 11 2008, 12:04 am
And I thought Shalhevet was going to be speaking out against the meshuga'as of themes, etc., on Purim...8)

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Jan 11 2008, 12:28 am
Kmelion wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:

Why buy specifically a Purim costume? If you're dressing SM as a little girl all you need is a dress, socks and Mary-Jane shoes... none of those are 'costume' items.
in a plain dress he wont look dressed up at all. people will ask me 'why didnt you dress her up this year?' Smile If it's a costume dressl likea 'fancy lady' dress or a 'esther hamalka' dress he looks dressed up. real girls' clothes in myneighborhood are very expensive and we dont have gmachs and goodwills etc. Truthi s I can stam browse the bazaar a month before purim and see if they have any cheapo dresses our two pieces. I can also ask my MIL to hunt for me in the bargain haunts she goes to allt he time.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics