Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Public Service Announcement regarding Purim
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

creativemommyto3

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 12:22 pm
btMOMtoFFBs wrote:
I do the same, creative3. I am picking up materials now. I will start to make my labels, poem (thanks to imokay!), buy ingredients and bake.

I also find doing things in advance saves money.

BTW, I start decluttering for Pesach after tu b'shvat! My upstairs and basement levels will hopefully be chametz free by R"C Adar II. I work out of the house part time every day so if I don't begin cleaning for Pesach then, I will never get it done. I can't pay for extra help and I don't want to be up all night doing it as we get closer to Nisan.

I promise you I am not one upping anyone. I know people who can do it all very shortly before Yom Tov and I'm happy they have a system that works for them, too. Some people thrive on the pressure of a deadline - I just stress out... so I start everything early.

Thumbs Up , u are my style!!

Apple pie

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 12:34 pm
amother wrote:
Mamabear I don't want you to take this wrong and who knows really why stuff happend to me but I feel I should tell anyways .

I too wanted to dress up my son as a girl so cute! He had such good features for a girl and I was so excited to dress him up and all he was only a toddler then I had no girl . That Taanis Esther tradgedy struck, I lost my child to a fatal accident. Crying

Who knows why things happen but I can't help in the back of my mind thinking, that perhaops it was becoz of this that Hashem deemd it to take him to another world .

Amother, I am very sorry for your loss. Crying
We don't make the cheshbonos of Hashem, and it's beyond us to attribute causes to various tragedies.

I don't understand what would be wrong with dressing up a toddler and why such a tragedy should be connected to it?

Tamiri

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 1:24 pm
btMOMtoFFBs wrote:

The women who plan now won't face crowded stores or sold out costumes. We'll be sipping coffee on 13 Adar while the non-planners will be up till 2:00 a.m. cooking, assembling shaloch manos, sewing costumes, etc.

Um.... won't you be fasting??? Confused

amother

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 3:30 pm
shalhevet wrote:
suomynona wrote:

I like to bake but don't have a pareve oven and don't have time to kasher mine, so it gets too complicated.

I put a sticker on mine saying 'parev, baked in a fleishig oven'.

I once made something milchig and put a flag on top with chalavi written on it quite clearly. Even so, after Purim someone told me that she had tasted it before reading the flag and she was fleishig. Sad

shalhevet

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 3:37 pm
btMOMtoFFBs wrote:

The women who plan now won't face crowded stores or sold out costumes. We'll be sipping coffee on 13 Adar while the non-planners will be up till 2:00 a.m. cooking, assembling shaloch manos, sewing costumes, etc.

I still don't understand. Believe me I am fairly organized, and I am not up cooking until 2am assembling SM. But I still don't get what there is to DO now. shock I can't go to stores now, because the stores haven't even got the Purim supplies IN yet; they are now full of Tu Bishvat fruits. Am I supposed to cook now for Purim and fill my freezer so I won't have room to put some extra chickens in FOR TEN WEEKS? shock To me two weeks before is just fine to start preparing (okay, I don't sew my own costumes, but I do sometimes have to fix them or find an accessory.) To me all this talk just means people are putting vast amounts of unnecessary time, money and effort into Purim. And don't tell me it's a mitzva - because I have a feeling that it's a much bigger mitzva to use that time and money (assuming you have it) to cook lunch for a woman you know after birth, read your children a story, or contribute a dish for a sheva brochos someone's making.

And to prove my point, I start making Pesach maybe six weeks before Purim, because I need that time to be organized and calm. Because Pesach for me (working, with several children and a few rooms, and staying home for all of YT) does require that time for me.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 6:11 pm
I guess there's planning... and there's PLANNING.

Only I wear a costume and that's easy enough for me to decide on, from what I see each purim and then look on ebay or whatever after shavous/summertimes; ditto the nosh. I only send to the ppl in my building, and my kids and husband take care of themselves.

Leaving the seudah; which, if we don't get invited out for, I will prepare together with Shabbos .... and no, I'm not going to make a big deal of it; you all see my menus & know what my kids think of my cooking ......

Like Shalhevet says, it only costs $$$$$ ! And for us, space - if I stick the mishloach manos in boxes, then I don't have any hampers to sort laundry in ... and we have no hallway to walk in ....

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 8:27 pm
amother I'm so sorry for your loss! Sad I'm not dressing up my son because I think he looks like a girl and want to feel like I have a girl etc etcl, I think it's just a common costume in my circles for boys the year before his payos. But I'll take your post into consideration. I'm so sorry, I can't even imagine what you mustve gone through.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 8:42 pm
In Crown Heights I do not see cross gender dressing.

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 8:56 pm
girls still wear pants under 3, so boys under 3 on purim can wear dresses too.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 9:21 pm
Oh ... our rabbonim don't hold that way, MB. By us, many girls after age 2 are wearing tights and dresses already.

Tefila

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 10:41 pm
Quote:
MB. By us, many girls after age 2 are wearing tights and dresses already
Some perhaps but not many Confused Also which Rabbanim hold a girl under three should dress that way Confused

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 11:10 pm
Tefila wrote:
Quote:
MB. By us, many girls after age 2 are wearing tights and dresses already
Some perhaps but not many Confused Also which Rabbanim hold a girl under three should dress that way Confused

Yes, many. Tsnius is a hot issue here now, Tefila.

Tefila

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 11:13 pm
I still would like to know which Rabbanim because I do intend of asking them something about this, which I am still unclear Confused

Oh I do know what goes on in your neck of the woods since I do have siblings there and they haven't heard of this too. Some people on their own want to be more chumradik but not because they were told to What

imokay

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 11:21 pm
ever since mama bear mentioned dressing her son as a girl, I wanted to post my opnion but didnt for fear of angering or upsetting anybody.
I just am so uncomfortable with making light of a potential serious life problem that some men have. cross dressing is a huge deal. (or even desires of that nature- remembering post I saw in that things u didnt know about your dh b/4 marriage) of course at age 2, it's essentially meaningless, but why even go down that road at all?
I cant think of any social taboo that I would feel comfortable dressing my child up as- even in jest. to me, it just feels unnatural and quite frankly, wrong.

just my personal opinion, not intented to lecture.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 11:24 pm
Tefila wrote:
I still would like to know which Rabbanim because I do intend of asking them something about this, which I am still unclear Confused

Oh I do know what goes on in your neck of the woods since I do have siblings there and they haven't heard of this too. Some people on their own want to be more chumradik but not because they were told to What

Why are you writing in verse?

Twizzlers

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 11:27 pm
I dont see whats wrong with dressing a little boy like a girl (or vice versa).

thats what purim is all about... "venahafoch hu!"

Tefila

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 11:32 pm
Choc it is important to back it up when you want to say something especially if it involves Rabbonim Exclamation
Twizzler you have a point but I do see too where imokay is coming from Smile

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 12 2008, 11:49 pm
Tefilah, I didn't say it in the name of any rabbonim. I say what I see.

That I see many mothers are being strict about tsnius, and at a young (er) age. That's it.

If your siblilngs don't see it, well, I have no idea what kind of crowd they hang it. MY crowd tends to be very careful of such things.

Crayon210

Post Sun, Jan 13 2008, 12:10 am
Twizzlers wrote:
I dont see whats wrong with dressing a little boy like a girl (or vice versa).

thats what purim is all about... "venahafoch hu!"

I don't like it either. And it often isn't just for boys under three. Confused

Venahafoch hu does not mean that men dress like women. Confused

My feelings about it have less to do with cross-dressing as a social taboo and more to do with it's just weird and inappropriate. Confused

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jan 13 2008, 12:58 am
chocolate moose wrote:
Oh ... our rabbonim don't hold that way, MB. By us, many girls after age 2 are wearing tights and dresses already.
I hear. tznius starts at 3 here.

anyway I'll probablyd ress him up as esther hamalkah instead, which is very acceptable for 2 1/2 year old boys, instead of stam a girl.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics