Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Public Service Announcement regarding Purim
Previous  1  2  3  4

Tefila

Post Sun, Jan 13 2008, 1:47 am
Quote:
Oh ... our rabbonim don't hold that way

That what you wrote Exclamation thats what I see unless it was your colon Twisted Evil
Anyways my siblings hang around similar crowd as you, since they know who u are Smile

GAMZu

Post Sun, Jan 13 2008, 2:12 am
I enjoy expressing my creativity on Purim.
I kinda work backwards. I find some nice "base" and work the costumes up from that.

Last year I found light green sleepers on sale at TCP, and light green "jester" hats... and decided right then and there to make my kids into celeries.

I started thinking this year already, but since it's Friday, I don't feel like going all out with the costumes and then feeling like my effort was not fulfilled properly.
So I'm thinking to put them in previous years' costumes, a lion and a ram............... but I'm not so sure I like that connotation!!

Tefila

Post Sun, Jan 13 2008, 2:15 am
Adorable gamzu and creative a girl after my own heart. But my creativity really shows itself on spur of the moments not weeks before Wink

Ima'la

Post Sun, Jan 13 2008, 5:27 am
GAMZu wrote:
Last year I found light green sleepers on sale at TCP, and light green "jester" hats... and decided right then and there to make my kids into celeries.

Rolling Laughter

Ok, I have to say, I NEVER would have thought of that!

Ima'la

Post Sun, Jan 13 2008, 5:34 am
shalhevet wrote:
btMOMtoFFBs wrote:

The women who plan now won't face crowded stores or sold out costumes. We'll be sipping coffee on 13 Adar while the non-planners will be up till 2:00 a.m. cooking, assembling shaloch manos, sewing costumes, etc.

I still don't understand. Believe me I am fairly organized, and I am not up cooking until 2am assembling SM. But I still don't get what there is to DO now. shock I can't go to stores now, because the stores haven't even got the Purim supplies IN yet; they are now full of Tu Bishvat fruits. Am I supposed to cook now for Purim and fill my freezer so I won't have room to put some extra chickens in FOR TEN WEEKS? shock To me two weeks before is just fine to start preparing (okay, I don't sew my own costumes, but I do sometimes have to fix them or find an accessory.) To me all this talk just means people are putting vast amounts of unnecessary time, money and effort into Purim. And don't tell me it's a mitzva - because I have a feeling that it's a much bigger mitzva to use that time and money (assuming you have it) to cook lunch for a woman you know after birth, read your children a story, or contribute a dish for a sheva brochos someone's making.

And to prove my point, I start making Pesach maybe six weeks before Purim, because I need that time to be organized and calm. Because Pesach for me (working, with several children and a few rooms, and staying home for all of YT) does require that time for me.

shalhevet, I don't understand why you're so bothered by this. Yes, I see your point, that in SOME cases it may be b/c women are going overboard...but a lot of us just plan ahead! I usually start cleaning for Pesach after Chanukah (but I'm allowing myself until Tu Bishvat this year!). No, I'm not scouring my ceiling with bleach - I'm just working at a leisurely place. Be'H, only food-areas and necessarily last-minute things are left for after Purim, and our family goes on a day-trip in the week before Pesach.

One year I prepared my mini-trifles from MM (no, they are not a lot of work - only a slight patchke - I make them very basic) in Shevat (or thereabouts) and froze them. They tasted delicious on Purim and that was my whole MM - I just added another "thing" so it would be 2 minim. It was just a matter of getting it done when I had the free time and enjoying knowing that it was taken care of.

So, I hear your point, but I think you should focus on decrying MM Overboard, rather than questioning why women start so early. Sometimes it's just because we're advance-planners by nature.

(Whew! Sorry to be so long-winded! Wink)

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Jan 13 2008, 8:01 am
Quote:
We'll be sipping coffee on 13 Adar while the non-planners will be up till 2:00 a.m. cooking, assembling shaloch manos, sewing costumes, etc.
does anybody fast on Taanis Esther anymore? Confused Oh you mean 2:00 am, the night before...

Ima'la

Post Sun, Jan 13 2008, 8:04 am
Between pregnancies and nursing, b"H, many Imamothers will not be fasting on Ta'anis Esther.

Although you're probably right, TR - she must've meant the night before - b/c otherwise they'd be up until 2 AM when it's already Purim, which is fine for MM - but not costumes!

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Sun, Jan 13 2008, 8:10 am
TzenaRena wrote:
Quote:
We'll be sipping coffee on 13 Adar while the non-planners will be up till 2:00 a.m. cooking, assembling shaloch manos, sewing costumes, etc.
does anybody fast on Taanis Esther anymore? Confused Oh you mean 2:00 am, the night before...

Right TR, that would be after breaking the fast, after hearing the megillah etc... 2:00am sounds about right. Then you sleep for four and half hours and do some more before the children get up. Once they're out of the house, you go to hear megillah and come back to find a pile of mm waiting at the door already. But you know that at least your kugel is fresh... LOL and you haven't even thought about what to make for the seudah and........ you mean it's Shabbos tonight?!!!!!!!!

Oh yes, Purim sure is fun! Wink

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 13 2008, 9:01 am
Tefila wrote:

That what you wrote Exclamation [/quote]

Right. We don't dress up boys as girls, and vice versa. I thought everyone knew that ...

Tefila wrote:
Anyways my siblings hang around similar crowd as you, since they know who u are Smile

Tefilah, please don't stalk me. I don't know who you are and, and I have said on the board many many times, I do not appreciate being told "I know who you are" by ppl that I have no idea who THEY are !!!

Basic ahavas yisroel.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 13 2008, 10:04 am
chocolate moose wrote:
Tefila wrote:

That what you wrote Exclamation

Right. We don't dress up boys as girls, and vice versa. I thought everyone knew that ...[/quote]

You said you weren't saying what CH rabbonim pasken. But you were. And it's not true. What's so hard to understand?

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Jan 13 2008, 10:15 am
Ribbie Danzinger wrote:
TzenaRena wrote:
Quote:

Right TR, that would be after breaking the fast, after hearing the megillah etc... 2:00am sounds about right. Then you sleep for four and half hours and do some more before the children get up. Once they're out of the house, you go to hear megillah and come back to find a pile of mm waiting at the door already. But you know that at least your kugel is fresh... LOL and you haven't even thought about what to make for the seudah and........ you mean it's Shabbos tonight?!!!!!!!!

Oh yes, Purim sure is fun! Wink
ribbie, your Purim sounds like my Purim! Wink

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Sun, Jan 13 2008, 10:29 am
Well, now I'm beginning to understand why somebody paired us up in the pairing up thread!

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Jan 13 2008, 10:31 am
I'm really honored! Very Happy

miriamnechama

Post Sun, Jan 13 2008, 10:55 am
when ds1 was a year and a half I dressed him as a girl. bti really got yelled at frpo that so that was the last timer I did that..., now this boy only wants chayal and shoter.. well what can I do, I don't beleivein fightingwith him, when he was 2 he wouldn't dress up so I just put on an outfit that had padington bear on.. he was happy with that, we picked teh following year the police as it was b;ue and 2 piece, he doesn't like one piece things... I did buy him also kohen gadol but didn't want it.

I beileve tah purim is a chag for children and therefore I don't fight with what they want.. I take out the box andthey pickw hat the want. ds2 is happy with animals.. like duck anda bee.

as fro shalach manos, I keep it simple and mostly home baked.. I'mgonna cutdowna lot ths year.

dh like to dress, up.. I don't like even by il's when everyone is.... the only time I dressed up after bas mitzva was teh day of my wedding Wink Smile

btw I don't have girls to worry about right now...

shanie5

Post Sun, Jan 13 2008, 1:32 pm
Ima'la wrote:
Between pregnancies and nursing, b"H, many Imamothers will not be fasting on Ta'anis Esther.

Although you're probably right, TR - she must've meant the night before - b/c otherwise they'd be up until 2 AM when it's already Purim, which is fine for MM - but not costumes!

ive done costumes after the first megilla reading.................

one year, we ended up w/ dd's friend joining us for MM delivery, so I quickly sewed her a gypsy costume to match the rest of us-and that was on purim morning-after the megilla reading!!!!!!!!

Tefila

Post Sun, Jan 13 2008, 2:01 pm
Quote:
You said you weren't saying what CH rabbonim pasken. But you were. And it's not true. What's so hard to understand?

For everyones info that amother was not me, thanks for the support though!

You told me you know me too choc, oh well lets be nice Purim is around the corner. Maybe we could do an Imamother Mishloach Manos ideas anyone? Smile

Ima'la

Post Mon, Jan 14 2008, 3:06 pm
shanie5 wrote:
Ima'la wrote:

ive done costumes after the first megilla reading.................

one year, we ended up w/ dd's friend joining us for MM delivery, so I quickly sewed her a gypsy costume to match the rest of us-and that was on purim morning-after the megilla reading!!!!!!!!

Wow - very talented! I am impressed!!!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jan 14 2008, 3:17 pm
Tefila wrote:
You told me you know me too choc

No, I have no idea who you are.

Tefila wrote:
Maybe we could do an Imamother Mishloach Manos ideas anyone? Smile

No, I don't want to do a mishloach manos contest. No offense. In my spare time I learn and go to shiurim. I'm not gonna potchke with frosting and streamers.

Tefilah, you exhaust me.

sunnybrook

Post Sun, Feb 10 2008, 3:27 pm
1] For those of you enjoyed the play Wizard of Az, they are selling their costumes to be used for Purim! Maybe other seminaries, play groups are also.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics