Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
I HATE the fat white cable I need for Optimum Internet/TV

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 30 2019, 11:34 pm
I have Optimum, I pay about $150 a month for Internet, Phone and Cable.

I just hate the ugly fat white cable that runs from my kitchen (the center of the apartment which is what they say is best for Internet) to the living room (where we want the TV).

Im in Brooklyn.

Are there any options that dont require a fat cable running all over?

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, Nov 30 2019, 11:43 pm
When I moved into my current house there were actually a couple of cables coming into different rooms from the outside of the house. Since we don't watch TV, we got rid of them all besides for the one that connects to the modem. Did you check with Optimum? I think for a fee they might provide you with more cables.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 30 2019, 11:54 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
When I moved into my current house there were actually a couple of cables coming into different rooms from the outside of the house. Since we don't watch TV, we got rid of them all besides for the one that connects to the modem. Did you check with Optimum? I think for a fee they might provide you with more cables.

How would more cables help? Im dreaming of a wireless situation, where I wouldnt have to see any cables.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 6:51 am
Have a contractor open your mouldings, run it underneath, and then put back the floor mouldings.

Amarante

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 10:34 am
As ra-mom wrote, cables can be run unobtrusively. It really depends on exactly where you want the connection to the television. It can run through the walls if desired. If you own your home, it's a relatively inexpensive thing to have done and is a good investment. Many people do it when they get their television sets hung on the wall so that they don't have unattractive wiring snaking up the wall.

Television can be received wirelessly and many people don't have a cable subscription but instead subscribe to various streaming services. Depending on what you watch, you subscribe to those services. I have what is called a smart television which means that I can receive streaming services through my Wifi network. You then select exactly the service you want - Disney, Netflix (just binged on the this season of The Crown); Apple Plus, Hulu etc. Since I am an Amazon Prime Member I get the Amazon Video included which has a lot of programming including The Amazing Mrs. Meisel. My friends have Hulu which. has all the network shows the next day. Really depends on what you like to watch.

Even if you don't have a smart television you can buy a device which turns your television into a "smart television" so that you can get streaming services on it. For example the Apple TV device.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 11:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm dreaming of a wireless situation, where I wouldn't have to see any cables.

Since you're in an apartment in Brooklyn, check with the building manager before going wireless. It's possible that the streaming reception may not be as reliable as you are used to with cable.

Also, the cost of the separate streaming services tends to mount up. Good idea to run the numbers before you cut the cable.

I think ra_Mom's solution would be very good.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries