Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
What to do with leftover challah?

SS6099

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 8:51 am
Other than French toast? Preferably to keep something mezonos. Thanks!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 8:54 am
Bread pudding, chicken or turkey stuffing, bread crumbs, croutons, use as a thickener for gravy or soups (with a stick blender).

Just please don't use it to feed the ducks. It will give them a tummy ache.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 8:57 am
Wet a thick slice and mash until soft then use instead of bread crumbs in meatballs.
Buy less Challah and use matzah for lechem mishna and use the half leftover from the night before to cut slices from for the day meal. Smile

cbg

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 9:06 am
I once had the most delicious onion soup at someone’s house

Sautée tons of onions until translucent, no color.
Then add water and parve bullion cube
Simmer for about 1/2hr.

Remove crust from bread and chop into big cubes.

Turn off heat and add bread cubes
Cover the pot and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 9:09 am
Strata is kind of like baked ziti made with bread instead of pasta
Challah kugel
Dry out the Challah and pulse into breadcrumbs
Croutons (stove top would be mezonos, baked/toasted would be hamotzi)

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 9:13 am
Challah pizza, let the kids make their own.

Take a whole challah, cut in half lengthwise, and pull out the soft middle for making bread crumbs. Use the outer part to make sub sandwiches with deli, tomatoes, pickles, lettuce, and whatever condiments you want. It won't get soggy if you pack it for lunches the next day.

Toasted garlic bread with butter or margarine, to serve with spaghetti and sauce. Dunk the bread in extra sauce.

SS6099

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 9:16 am
Great ideas. Thanks 😀

BadTichelDay

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 9:32 am
Second Hand Apple Pie. I did one just today. Soak challah briefly, then mash into a thick paste (I use my hands). Add 3 eggs. Add half a cup of sugar (or more if you like it sweet). Add a portion of baking powder and a small spoon full of cinnamon. Mix again until you get an even paste. Fill it into a pregreased small round or square cake form. Cut up several apples and press thumb sized apple pieces half deep into the dough, close to each other. Sprinkle top with more sugar and cinnamon. Bake at 175 C (don't know how much that's in F) for about half an hour, depending on the oven. Should be golden brown on top but still soft and juicy inside when done.

jflower

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 9:57 am
BadTichelDay wrote:
Second Hand Apple Pie. I did one just today. Soak challah briefly, then mash into a thick paste (I use my hands). Add 3 eggs. Add half a cup of sugar (or more if you like it sweet). Add a portion of baking powder and a small spoon full of cinnamon. Mix again until you get an even paste. Fill it into a pregreased small round or square cake form. Cut up several apples and press thumb sized apple pieces half deep into the dough, close to each other. Sprinkle top with more sugar and cinnamon. Bake at 175 C (don't know how much that's in F) for about half an hour, depending on the oven. Should be golden brown on top but still soft and juicy inside when done.

This recipe looks fabulous. Thanks for posting.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 10:10 am
BadTichelDay wrote:

Are you using my great grandmother's recipes? LOL

A lot of them called for "a teacup of flour, a pinch of salt, and a thimbleful of water. Mash up until nice."

Exact measurements were not a thing by her. You had to "feel" the ingredients to know if you were getting it right, and the only way to do that was to learn from your mom, who learned from her mom, who learned from her mom.

I really treasure those index cards.

BadTichelDay

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 12:07 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Are you using my great grandmother's recipes? LOL

A lot of them called for "a teacup of flour, a pinch of salt, and a thimbleful of water. Mash up until nice."

Exact measurements were not a thing by her. You had to "feel" the ingredients to know if you were getting it right, and the only way to do that was to learn from your mom, who learned from her mom, who learned from her mom.

I really treasure those index cards.

Unfortunately my mom and my grandmother never taught me any cooking and baking. I had to re-invent it all on my own. Maybe that's why I don't use exact measurements. I do read recipes in books and on the internet but I never follow them exactly - I rather use them as an inspiration and then do my own thing loosely based on them. Smile

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 12:11 pm
BadTichelDay wrote:
Unfortunately my mom and my grandmother never taught me any cooking and baking. I had to re-invent it all on my own. Maybe that's why I don't use exact measurements. I do read recipes in books and on the internet but I never follow them exactly - I rather use them as an inspiration and then do my own thing loosely based on them. Smile

That's what's called "jazz cooking", when you make it up as you go along. I do that a lot, especially with "what's in the fridge? stew". I taught DD to cook the same way.

Just remember the golden rule the kitchen. Baking is an exact science. Cooking is an art form.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 1:46 pm
Challah kugels - either sweet or savory

happy12

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 2:43 pm
Garlic bread. I freeze the challah and make it into garlic bread on the next erev shabbos.
Let 3 frozen cubes garlic defrost, add olive oil, and dill spice. Brush on both side of sliced challah and bake. I never have enough with my boys. They love it with chicken soup.

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 7:01 pm
In my family, we have a saying: "Only you can prevent challah kugels." But since all the challah doesn't get used up, challah kugels it is:

Soak challah bits for 20 minutes, and then squeeze out the excess liquid. Saute a lot of onions and garlic and add Italian seasonings, salt, pepper, garlic powder. Mix with soaked challah bits, and a couple of eggs and oil. Bake at 400 degrees for a half hour, then turn off the oven, and keep kugel in the oven for another half hour. (Or you can do a sweet version. Some oil, raisins, apples, brown sugar and cinnamon. Same technique without sauteeing.)

Rivka10

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 7:31 pm
BadTichelDay wrote:

Sounds delicious!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads