Home

Split from moderation thread to discuss Trump
  Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic       Forum -> In the News -> Politics

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Jeanette




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Dec 02 2019, 1:00 pm
I think we're seeing a pattern of minimizing assault by comparing it to a worse offense. He kissed you? Be happy he didn't punch you. He punched you? Be happy he didn't kill you. The purpose seems to be to paint the woman as hysterical and overreacting. What's bad is not a man forcing himself on a woman but a woman causing discomfort or embarrassment to a man. Hence tears for Kavanaugh and his family, anger and contempt for Christine Blasey Ford and his other accusers. Boys will be boys and how dare women derail the careers of powerful men.
Back to top

wiki




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Dec 02 2019, 1:01 pm
Fox wrote:
Yet the numbers tell a completely different story:
Spectator

University of Pennsylvania sociologists who measured racial prejudice since 2008 have found that it dipped in significant levels among both Democrats and Republicans in the last 3 years.

It seems that the "Trump emboldens racists" trope is so common that it has become embedded and accepted as truth.


This is cool. I didn't know it, I'm glad to learn it, and I fully believe it.

It can be true that overall attitudes of racial prejudice are down while at the same time that extremist views of white nationalists are up, and anti-Semites from the left, right, and non-ideological-Brooklyn-thugs are more noticeable than they were before.
Back to top

Jeanette




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Dec 02 2019, 1:03 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I dropped Facebook years ago but look what happened to Chick Filet (sp?) and their donations and I wonder what would happen if the CEO ran for public office. This is also what the public has against Pence, who is merely following his religion.


People have a right to choose where they buy their chicken and who to vote for in an election. If you believe you're doing the right thing and expressing yourself appropriately on Facebook then other people's reactions don't matter. But if you're that worried, maybe Facebook isn't the right venue to share those opinions.
Back to top

Squishy




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Dec 02 2019, 1:07 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Yes, I was significantly bothered. Disgusted. Grossed out. And fearful for what I knew would likely eventually happen (the defunding). I don't think my reaction was that unusual. Moreover, a stiletto to the insole of this person would have been impossible. He always wears boots (perhaps that is why!); I don't wear stilettos; and I'm one of those women who freeze when they are assaulted.

I think you are mischaracterizing the argument from the 90s. The assumption then was that Bill Clinton's relationship with Monica Lewinsky was consensual. We are now much more aware that it's difficult for relationships to be consensual when there's a power disparity. But never mind that: many of the stories of the 25 women were of clearly non-consensual relationships. There was no consent to be groped when on an airplane, for example.

I'm surprised that you are blowing off these stories in this way.


Monica Lewinsky tells the story of how she had a crush on Bill Clinton and went out of her way for him to notice her. How was that not consensual if she initiated the affair? Does Monica Lewinsky share any blame for their affair?
Back to top

#BestBubby




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Dec 02 2019, 1:16 pm
wiki wrote:
There is a lot wrong with this post, and I probably shouldn't engage with it at all.

But--
1. Hillary Clinton did not assault anyone. What you claim she did is not parallel to assault.
2. When Hillary was 27, she was assigned a case defending a rapist. She asked not to get the case, but it was assigned to her. The defendant pleaded guilty. There were lacunae in the evidence, so he got an easy sentence.
3. I take it you really don't like hypocrites. You question how people could vote for Hillary in light of her lax record on assault, yet you clearly know how it feels to hold your nose and vote for someone in light of their flaws, because you have also done that yourself. I'm not interested in hammering you over the head with hypocrisy charges, but maybe it would be better if you could acknowledge that Trump's record on this subject is bad also, and yet we all have held our noses and voted for flawed people from time to time.


Yes, I think Trump's behavior as as a serial adulterer is despicable.

Waiting to see any Democrats on Ima-Mother say that Hillary's behavior towards victims of s-xual assault was despicable.

Anybody???
Back to top

#BestBubby




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Dec 02 2019, 1:18 pm
When people criticize only Republicans but refuse to criticize Democrats who do the same or worse, they have no moral authority.

I'll say it again - Hypocrites!
Back to top

wiki




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Dec 02 2019, 1:24 pm
I just wrote a few posts up that I think Bill Clinton's s-xual assault charges are just as bad as Trump's! That is criticizing two people for a similar crime.

And I think everyone who voted for Hillary did so holding their noses about her treatment of Bill's accusers. (Although I will say that "treatment of accusers" is a different ballpark of guilt from a person accused of forcible rape. The two are apples and oranges in terms of guilt level.)
Back to top

#BestBubby




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Dec 02 2019, 1:27 pm
wiki wrote:
I just wrote a few posts up that I think Bill Clinton's s-xual assault charges are just as bad as Trump's! That is criticizing two people for a similar crime.

And I think everyone who voted for Hillary did so holding their noses about her treatment of Bill's accusers. (Although I will say that "treatment of accusers" is a different ballpark of guilt from a person accused of forcible rape. The two are apples and oranges in terms of guilt level.)


OK - that's 1. thank you, Wiki.
Back to top

wiki




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Dec 02 2019, 1:31 pm
Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

I really appreciate the good faith acknowledgment.
Back to top

Fox




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Dec 02 2019, 1:37 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
I think you are mischaracterizing the argument from the 90s. The assumption then was that Bill Clinton's relationship with Monica Lewinsky was consensual. We are now much more aware that it's difficult for relationships to be consensual when there's a power disparity.

Nonsense. Everyone knew perfectly well in the 90s that a 22-year-old college grad who was obviously immature and emotionally needy had been exploited. But Clinton was a popular president and Democrats as well as left-leaning public figures such as Gloria Steinem created the "private business" defense. This is a lesson in never advancing an argument you wouldn't want your enemies to use.

JoyInTheMorning wrote:
But never mind that: many of the stories of the 25 women were of clearly non-consensual relationships. There was no consent to be groped when on an airplane, for example.

I'm surprised that you are blowing off these stories in this way.

I'm not arguing that consent was given. I'm arguing that he made a gross pass at a woman and was turned down.

I don't believe that every gross pass at a woman constitutes s-xual assault. Your experience was s-xual harassment, an entirely different scenario.
Back to top

#BestBubby




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Dec 02 2019, 1:56 pm
wiki wrote:
Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

I really appreciate the good faith acknowledgment.


And I appreciate your fairness. And I liked many of your posts!
Back to top

southernbubby




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Dec 02 2019, 2:06 pm
Jeanette wrote:
People have a right to choose where they buy their chicken and who to vote for in an election. If you believe you're doing the right thing and expressing yourself appropriately on Facebook then other people's reactions don't matter. But if you're that worried, maybe Facebook isn't the right venue to share those opinions.


What I am trying to say is that people often pay a price years after donating to the anti-gay cause or liking a politically incorrect post. Today a potential employer can review someone's social media history to decide if they should hire that person.
Before social media, it was hard to prove bigotry or any kind of misogyny but today there are recordings saved in people's phones that somehow appear when people run for office or try to get an important job.
The reason that I am saying this is because we have a climate today of radicalization fed by social media and this is what is problematic about Trump's tweets. It widens the division in society.
A quiet bigot doesn't spread bigotry.
Back to top

PinkFridge




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Dec 02 2019, 2:15 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
All the people complaining about Trump had no problem voting for Hillary Clinton, who viciously attacked the victims of her husband's s-xual assaults! Hillary Clinton got a CHILD RAPIST off by attacking the 12 year old victim on the stand!

All those who criticize Trump and don't say a word against Hillary (who is MUCH worse to women!) are HYPOCRITES!


NO. WE DIDN'T ALL VOTE FOR HILLARY.
Just wanted to be clear.
Back to top

small bean




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Dec 02 2019, 4:20 pm
I'm not reading all the way back. So I'm sorry of this was asked.

Question for those who think that they can't vote for trump due to his comments on relations. And for those who think Hillary's comments were also disgusting.

If you can close your nose and vote for hillary? Then how do you make trumps presidency about his immorality?

How do you square the double standard.

I would have vote for hillary if there was something to be okay with, her immorality was just one point.

Biden is pretty gross around girls also. I wouldn't say that is his disqualifier. I would say that he is also immoral.
Back to top

chanatron1000




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Dec 02 2019, 5:04 pm
I voted for neither, and I haven't changed my mind.
Back to top

southernbubby




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Dec 02 2019, 5:28 pm
small bean wrote:
I'm not reading all the way back. So I'm sorry of this was asked.

Question for those who think that they can't vote for trump due to his comments on relations. And for those who think Hillary's comments were also disgusting.

If you can close your nose and vote for hillary? Then how do you make trumps presidency about his immorality?

How do you square the double standard.

I would have vote for hillary if there was something to be okay with, her immorality was just one point.

Biden is pretty gross around girls also. I wouldn't say that is his disqualifier. I would say that he is also immoral.


It really depends on how pro-Israel the Democratic candidate is. It would be nice if one of the world's most powerful positions was used to make it a better world but Israel comes first.
Back to top

SixOfWands




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Dec 02 2019, 5:43 pm
Let's stop the lies about Clinton defending a rapist.

First, at the time, she was a 27-year-old law instructor running a legal aid clinic at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville. After a 41-year-old factory worker was accused of raping a 12-year-old girl, he asked the judge to replace his court-appointed male attorney with a female one. The judge went through the list of a half-dozen women practicing law in the county and picked Clinton. She asked to be removed (a fact confirmed by the prosecutor, by the way), the judge refused. She then defended her client. As she was obligated to do.

The case was settled with a plea agreement, largely due to police mishandling of evidence.
Back to top

JoyInTheMorning




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Dec 02 2019, 6:18 pm
Fox wrote:
I'm not arguing that consent was given. I'm arguing that he made a gross pass at a woman and was turned down.

I don't believe that every gross pass at a woman constitutes s-xual assault. Your experience was s-xual harassment, an entirely different scenario.


Groping of genitals is assault. You can't whitewash it and say it was a "gross pass."

(My experience was a combination of unwanted touching/groping and s-xual harassment.)
Back to top

JoyInTheMorning




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Dec 02 2019, 6:19 pm
small bean wrote:
I'm not reading all the way back. So I'm sorry of this was asked.

Question for those who think that they can't vote for trump due to his comments on relations. And for those who think Hillary's comments were also disgusting.

If you can close your nose and vote for hillary? Then how do you make trumps presidency about his immorality?

How do you square the double standard.

I would have vote for hillary if there was something to be okay with, her immorality was just one point.

Biden is pretty gross around girls also. I wouldn't say that is his disqualifier. I would say that he is also immoral.


How can you compare hair sniffing to groping genitals? I agree that hair sniffing is gross. But it pales in comparison to grabbing a woman's v@gin@.
Back to top

JoyInTheMorning




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Dec 02 2019, 6:21 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Let's stop the lies about Clinton defending a rapist.

First, at the time, she was a 27-year-old law instructor running a legal aid clinic at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville. After a 41-year-old factory worker was accused of raping a 12-year-old girl, he asked the judge to replace his court-appointed male attorney with a female one. The judge went through the list of a half-dozen women practicing law in the county and picked Clinton. She asked to be removed (a fact confirmed by the prosecutor, by the way), the judge refused. She then defended her client. As she was obligated to do.

The case was settled with a plea agreement, largely due to police mishandling of evidence.


I'm glad you pointed this out. Hillary Clinton did absolutely nothing wrong in defending the rapist. As a lawyer, she was obligated to do this.
Back to top
  Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 6 of 12 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic       Forum -> In the News -> Politics

Related Topics Replies Last Post
What is your immediate reaction to thread titles (Part 3) 1759 Today at 6:29 am View last post
Trump's antisemitic remarks in Hollywood, Florida 110 Wed, Dec 11 2019, 2:14 pm View last post
Sequential Thread Titles... 1735 Tue, Dec 10 2019, 10:56 am View last post
Looking for recent thread about switching high schools
by amother
1 Mon, Dec 09 2019, 11:53 am View last post
Spinoff/ money does help.........thread
by amother
6 Fri, Dec 06 2019, 9:05 am View last post

Jump to: